LegacyGT.com

Passenger Window Random Shattered

Good day to all,

So story is my pops just got an 06 Legacy Wgn. He had it for about a week when he was waiting in traffic and the passenger side window randomly exploded. Maybe exploded is a bit of an exaggeration, but the whole window shattered.

There was no sound of impact and nothing around to suggest something hit it. Insurance is covering it, but sucks that it took me a year to convince him to get a subi and in the first week this happens.

Any ideas what could cause it? known issue somehow?

Thanks

Windows dont explode randomly. Only way i can see that possibly happening is if there was some weird very quick and drastic change of temp.

My guess is a rock, bb, bullet or something broke the window even if he didnt hear it.

unfortunately, windows CAN and DO explode randomly. You have to remember that tempered glass is constantly under ALOT of internal pressure. If there were impurities in the glass when it was manufactured and if these inclusions dont break up during the tempering process, they can cause the glass to randomly explode as their molecular structure changes over time and puts odd stresses against the glass.

Its awkward, but its a known defect and it happens to everyone, its not the fault of subaru.

Archived