LegacyGT.com

GAUGING INTEREST: AFFORDABLE COILOVER, NON DAMPING ADJUSTABLE with RIDE HEIGHT ADJUST

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Quick feedback on the coilovers.

The body of the fronts are slightly narrower than the OEM strut housing. Maybe 1/10th of an inch.

Setting the car up at only a 1" drop in the front meant that the spring perch would hit the top of the tire. So, we removed the helper springs.

Rears were no issue as there is plenty of room between the wheel and strut. Rear spring perch went past the top of the tire with the helper spring in place, but we have plenty of space. I wish the front was designed the same way.

Car is riding about 1.5" lower with no issues. There is very little travel compared to OEM, so I'm not concerned about bottoming out, nor have I bottomed out.

For about the first ~3/4" of travel, it feels like it could use more dampening, but after that it's very well controlled. This allows the ride to be compliant over bumps and dips. I could have used a little more dampening, but there is NO bounce and the springs are well controlled.

With the 1.5" drop and 340# springs, it passed the wife test. She couldn't tell that the ride was any stiffer...or lower.

Reality is that it is stiffer. Maybe slightly more than the old RCE springs and Koni combo I had before. Not complaining...just comparing.

I like the ride better than the RCE/Koni combo. Car sits better in turns and when hard on the brakes. Maybe becuase it is sitting lower as well as more spring.

-Fredrik

Edited by fredrik94087

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

And how much more inset does your tire/wheel combo have over stock? Would the OEM wheels/tires or something with a little less offset/width work without removing the helpers in the front?

yes stock wheels or even an 8inch wheel or higher offset would allow you to retain the helper and lower it more than 20mm.

Myles

Edited by RaceComp Engineering

But the fronts are fine without helper springs. There is no play.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

let me clear this up. It's a bad one because I miss the promotion and already have a set of coilovers that's not good as this one. :(

Ok then forgive my almost aggressive tone in asking that way. Man I need a vacation bad ! :spin:

Good news is…I have one set left and you could probably sell yours !

Just saying…..:)

Myles

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just want to give kudos to Myles and RaceComp.......

I recently purchased a used set of RCE Tarmac 1's from Kaos, the original owner on this forum.

One of the dust shields was broken in shipment so I contacted Myles.

He sent me a new one, no charge, no shipping nothing.

Couldn't ask for better customer service and when mine need rebuilt, probably next year or so, I will be contacting him for the rebuilds.

Thanks Myles, Top notch customer service even when not the original owner.

I really appreciated you sending that out!