LegacyGT.com

Preventative Maintenance To-Do List?

I've been lurking on these forums for a bit now trying to learn as much as I can but there have been a few things that I couldn't find answers for. I bought an 05 LGT Wagon with 105k miles a few weeks ago and from reading these forums, I may be in over my head. It had the timing belt, oil cooler gasket, and head gaskets done prior to being sold so I don't have to worry about that...I hope. As of now I am looking for reliability over power. This is what I have on my to-do list, correct me if their are better options or if I should add on to it. Inb4 I need a new short block.

1) From what I've read, Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 with OEM Subaru filters is the best combo to use for these cars.

2) Uppipe needs to be replaced due to possible cat turbo engine explosion mess. I plan on going with a GS uppipe, should I also change out the downpipe or is the stock downpipe okay to use?

3) I plan on pulling out the banjo bolts to check the filters but I have been seeing mixed opinions on whether to leave the filters in or just pull them off completely.

4) I heard that the stock tune on the lgt aren't the greatest so I will most likely get a one. Is it better for me to get an AP OTS map or should I get a custom tune done? Regardless or which route I go, do I have to buy an AP or can a tuning shop just tune the car once and call it good. I do not want to fork out $650 just to have an AP when I will not be changing the maps.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/reodan92/DSC_0004_zpstvqm61pm.jpg

5) keep $5k-8k saved up for if/when the engine goes. Because, basically no matter how you treat it now, damage could have already been done in the first 105k miles of ownership.

1) Yep, that's a good combo.

2) don't need the GS one, you can get a used up-pipe from an STI for $50-$75. 07-09 Legacy gts also have catless upipes. Wrxs and Foresters also - but I am unsure of the years.

3) At 105k they should probably be at least checked and replaced.

4) look into open source tuning. For an 05 you can buy a cheap ebay Vagcom cable and get a stage 1 e-tune for around $150. Total cost is less than $200 for that. Look at the tuning forum for more details / contact Cryotune because he is awesome.

1) Yes, stay away from Mobil 1

2) I'm also agree say with with STi uncatted Up pipe as it looks stock if you have visual inspections where you live. You will need a resistor mod or tune disabling the sensor deleted by eliminating the stock cat up pipe. Downpipe is cool but there are better options out there if you are gonna get a tune anyways. Get the 3 inch to stock mid pipe adapter if you go that route for piece of mind. Also DO NOT REUSE ANY EXHAUST GASKETS.

3) Pull them completely and change your oil on the regular. I'm getting a new turbo and have an aftermarket filtered turbo line. May be overkill but not gonna 2nd guess myself too many times.

4) Have a shop do it or get the cable and have one of the guys here do it. Plenty of us here to vouch for the tuners here. Most people with AP do it because it's easier than lugging around a laptop and they can monitor stuff with it. I started out with an AP, then later went opensource with a shop doing it and let it be.

Wow nice looking wagon. I guess mine looked that good once.

Where do you live, may be one of us knows a good tuner close to you ?

Check for rust around the windshield and the bottom of the passenger side doors behind the rubber seal on the door.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had 160k+ on mine, never had a concern regarding the banjo bolt filter. I used Pennzoil Platinum only and changed it every 3-5k.

Keep an eye on the passenger side valve cover gasket , it tends to go bad.

I would just pick up a used AP. Once you go stage 1 , you will just want to go stage 2.

Buy all you exhaust parts, UP, DP used. They are just pipes, as long as they aren't banged up or rusted out you'll save cash

Agree with getting the Subaru sti UP. If you decide on going with a non Subaru part, just make sure it has a flex section in it. The UP is notorious for developing a few leaks, or a few cracks if it is a non-flex piece.

Wait, what's wrong with mobil 1 5w-30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CEO of Mobil 1 eats babies so we've decided as a community to boycott the product until he ends the reprehensible, barbaric practice.

Also, my Legacy spun a rod right after my first Mobil 1 oil change (seriously), so there's reason to believe the company and it's products are cursed for the sins of its CEO.

5) keep $5k-8k saved up for if/when the engine goes. Because, basically no matter how you treat it now, damage could have already been done in the first 105k miles of ownership.

1) Yep, that's a good combo.

2) don't need the GS one, you can get a used up-pipe from an STI for $50-$75. 07-09 Legacy gts also have catless upipes. Wrxs and Foresters also - but I am unsure of the years.

3) At 105k they should probably be at least checked and replaced.

4) look into open source tuning. For an 05 you can buy a cheap ebay Vagcom cable and get a stage 1 e-tune for around $150. Total cost is less than $200 for that. Look at the tuning forum for more details / contact Cryotune because he is awesome.

Welcome.!!! Your 1st turbo car? Very nice and clean.

I really couldn't give you any pointers but the answer to your 4 questions is yes.

Enjoy and drive happily...

1) Yes, stay away from Mobil 1

2) I'm also agree say with with STi uncatted Up pipe as it looks stock if you have visual inspections where you live. You will need a resistor mod or tune disabling the sensor deleted by eliminating the stock cat up pipe. Downpipe is cool but there are better options out there if you are gonna get a tune anyways. Get the 3 inch to stock mid pipe adapter if you go that route for piece of mind. Also DO NOT REUSE ANY EXHAUST GASKETS.

3) Pull them completely and change your oil on the regular. I'm getting a new turbo and have an aftermarket filtered turbo line. May be overkill but not gonna 2nd guess myself too many times.

4) Have a shop do it or get the cable and have one of the guys here do it. Plenty of us here to vouch for the tuners here. Most people with AP do it because it's easier than lugging around a laptop and they can monitor stuff with it. I started out with an AP, then later went opensource with a shop doing it and let it be.

Awesome! Glad I don't have to grab that AP, so pricey.

Wow nice looking wagon. I guess mine looked that good once.

Where do you live, may be one of us knows a good tuner close to you ?

Check for rust around the windshield and the bottom of the passenger side doors behind the rubber seal on the door.

Thanks! It was a gem finding a non-modified one in my area. I live in the Portland, Or region so there are quite a few shops around here.

I had 160k+ on mine, never had a concern regarding the banjo bolt filter. I used Pennzoil Platinum only and changed it every 3-5k.

Keep an eye on the passenger side valve cover gasket , it tends to go bad.

I would just pick up a used AP. Once you go stage 1 , you will just want to go stage 2.

Buy all you exhaust parts, UP, DP used. They are just pipes, as long as they aren't banged up or rusted out you'll save cash

Agree with getting the Subaru sti UP. If you decide on going with a non Subaru part, just make sure it has a flex section in it. The UP is notorious for developing a few leaks, or a few cracks if it is a non-flex piece.

Thanks for the tip, I have been browsing the classifieds for a few bits.

The CEO of Mobil 1 eats babies so we've decided as a community to boycott the product until he ends the reprehensible, barbaric practice.

Also, my Legacy spun a rod right after my first Mobil 1 oil change (seriously), so there's reason to believe the company and it's products are cursed for the sins of its CEO.

I am down for the cause.

You should check out this thread if you haven't already: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178342

Perfect! This is just what I needed, I tried searching via google but never came across that thread.

No one is suggesting the tokyo roki filters? Same specs as the oem honeywell blue filters (and used to be subaru oem), but with more surface area, supposively. Extra piece of mind. I don't run them yet since i've got another year of filters in stock, but plan to. But like oil, its all opinions.

Also, welcome to the fold. Better join the "what did you do to your outback today" thread, and the PNW spotted thread. I'm down in tigard and we've got quite a few shops and vendors in the area. Drop me a line when you get settled. The Carr subaru parts counter guy may quickly learn your name if you need exhaust nuts/bolts and repair parts once a month. :)

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Will a up pipe from an STI direct fit into an 05 gt? Also will it require a tune. I am looking to go as far as I can without tuning. But I am researching this cable and laptop option you spoke of.

No one is suggesting the tokyo roki filters? Same specs as the oem honeywell blue filters (and used to be subaru oem), but with more surface area, supposively. Extra piece of mind. I don't run them yet since i've got another year of filters in stock, but plan to. But like oil, its all opinions.

Sent from my XT1028

Speaking of Tokyo Roki, is the 15208AA160 part # compatible with the Legacy? They're OEM for the 2011-2014 Forester, Crosstrek and Impreza. My dealer has them for ~$6.

Archived