LegacyGT.com

missfire after hg and belt

Hey guys, I'm new to Subarus and this forum, maybe someone out there can help me.

Here it is: Did head gaskets, had the heads redone, valves cut to match seats, and adjusted.

I have a miss in number 2 cyl. Registers 150 psi in that cyl and injector pulse is present.

I changed the injector, and installed new NGK iridium plugs. And yes, i have good spark after 2500 rpms.

There is no miss at that RPM, but at idle there is, but no loss of power.

So is it possible I'm off a tooth on the belt? Engine starts up fine.

Where do i go from here? Thanks for any help you can give me guys

Why doesn't anyone ever use proper grammar and sentence structure anymore? The amount of times I had to read some parts of that....

How bad is the misfire? Is it a little non-audible one? A massive engine shaking one? Or something in between? Do you here it? Or do you know because a check engine light came on and you read the code? Did you find out by pulling a wire to see if there was a difference in the way it ran?

Is the misfire there only after the car has warmed up and been running for a bit? If so, there is more than likely an issue being picked up by a sensor somewhere as that's when the ECU starts making decisions base on it's readings.

What method did you use while installing the timing belt? Assuming your 96 GT still has it's 2.5 still, look up a diagram for an EJ25D and make sure everything matches up completely. I you're off a tooth, depending on how much this can cause issues either right when the motor is started or after its warmed up.

Check everywhere for any vacuum leaks at all. A leak can cause a misfire, and sometimes a pretty bad one.

150 psi is a little low for the 96 2.5 as it should be in the 170 plus range. What were the reading on the rest of the cylinders?

More than likely it's the iridium plugs causing the problem.. did you install them before or after the job? These motors didn't come with that type of plug and are extremely picky when it comes to plugs.

easy pal just looking for a little help. now to answer your questions 1- the miss is there i fell it everytime im not moving like i said after 2500 rpms it doesnt miss 2- it does throw a code for cyl 2 miss 3- ihad a 2.5 block in my garage and my gaskets went south so i decided to build that one i put everything from my engine on to the other one except for the heads and i mean everything yes sensors too 3- checked for vac leaks none found 4- vacum at intake is 18 in with very little movement 5- number 4cyl also has 150 psi 6- as for the plug i put one of the old ones in and the results were the same the wires are new 7-the only time i can notice a diff is when i rev motor over 2500 rpms and pull the wire off or pull the inj conn off but its not drastic 8- the belt i lined up the cams as per threads on this site like i said all the marks are lined up as far as i know but untill i have time to take off the cover to check i can only say its lined up as for the compression alldata has it as 130 to 175 psi and i fall at 150 psi btw i said im new to this site and subarus not cars once again thankyou hope i could clear the smoke

Easy there, pal. I'm just looking for a little help. Now, to answer your questions:

1. The misfire is there. I feel it every time I'm not moving. As I previously mentioned, after 2500 RPM it doesn't misfire.

2. It does throw a code for a "cylinder 2 misfire."

3. I had a 2.5L engine block in my garage and my gaskets went south, so I decided to build that one. I put everything from my old engine on the other one except for the heads (and I do mean everything... yes, sensors too!)

4. I checked for vacuum leaks, but did not find any.

5. Vacuum at the intake is 18 in., with very little movement.

6. The number 4 cylinder also has 150 PSI.

7. As for the plug, I put one of the old ones in and the results were the same. The wires are new though.

8. The only time I can notice a difference is when I rev the motor over 2500 RPM and pull the wire off (or pull the injector connection off) but it's not a drastic change.

9. With regards to the timing belt, I lined up the cams as per the instructions on the threads on this site. Like I said, all the marks are lined up as far as I know, but until I have time to take off the cover to check, I can only say it's lined up! As for the compression, all the data I have read suggests that it should be somewhere around 130 to 175 PSI and I fall at 150 PSI.

Oh, and by the way, I said I am new to this site and Subarus, not cars in general.

Once again, thank you for your help. Hope this clears some of the smoke!

Fixed for reading comprehension. (Expert tip: If people have to spend 5 fewer minutes understanding your post, then they can spend 5 more minutes actually trying to help you, rather than just getting annoyed and moving on! Remember, you are asking other people to take the time to help you, so the least you can do is take the time to properly punctuate your post so they can understand it. I am NOT trying to troll you, or be an asshole, I'm just trying to help you out here. Welcome to the forums, and welcome to your first Subaru!)

Here's what could be wrong.

Timing belt off a tooth.

Plugs and or Wires, like stated only buy OEM or NGK wires!

Weak coil

Intake manifold gasket leak or general vacuum leak, get a can of carb spray and while the engine is running spray the intake gaskets, TB gasket and vacuum lines

Weak cylinder compression

Sticking injector/s

Bad wiring

And the worse a dropped valve guide.

If you check everything out and you can't find the problem then drop your exhaust manifold and see if any of the valve guides dropped down. It was kinda common on the 2.2 and 2.5 engines. GL.

it could also be a busted tab on the timing sprocket. i had similar issues, but i couldnt even feel the misfire at all. i found that the PO had done the timing belt and water pump (but not the seals that were leaking) and had chingered up the tabs on the sprocket. replaced that sucker when i redid all the seals (and new timing belt again) and the code went away. could be far-fetched, but possible. especially since you were just in there swapping parts over.

Archived