LegacyGT.com

LGT stuff installed

Rear sway bar(16 mm replacing stock 15) and axelback installed.

Bar is a definite asset.

Cans are cosmetic only, as they appear to be identical to the stockers, except for the tip. Required substituting 4 longer hangars, and moving the tip covers back about an inch (remove 2 10mm hex screws, drill new holes, remount).

(EDIT - corrected 17 to 16 mm)

RearWithLgtTailpipes.JPG.796017b24ef3506de476aad7791d7f57.JPG

LgtTailpipe.JPG.b5bd20609a146ebaf8e92e1edc7d7578.JPG

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Rear sway bar(17 mm replacing stock 15) and axelback installed.

Bar is a definite asset.

Cans are cosmetic only, as they appear to be identical to the stockers, except for the tip. Required substituting 4 longer hangars, and moving the tip covers back about an inch (remove 2 10mm hex screws, drill new holes, remount).

omg now that is HOT!

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Hangars are about 2cm longer - ROL 511182 at PepBoys Advance Auto, etc, or NAPA 86387-35114.

You could use the original hangars, but you'd need to at least notch the plastic, and maybe metal as well - there is more structure inside an OB bumper, probably to meet some height requirement.

<< EDIT 07/-2/2008 - keep looking through this thread - longer hangers may not be needed ! >>

As for the tips - the mufflers I got were from a sedan, so they need to be extended a bit to look right. This is easy for the Subaru parts, as the outer tip is held on with 2 bolts on each muffler. Unscrew them, pull the tip covers rearward & off, and drill a couple new holes. Slide them back on & screw the bolts back in.

This has the added avantage that there's now a bit of cooling air flow between the pipe & tip cover, which I think is good as there's only about half a cm clearance. Don't want melted plastic adding to the still-new car smell.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hangars are about 2cm longer - ROL 511182 at PepBoys Advance Auto, etc, or NAPA 86387-35114.

You could use the original hangars, but you'd need to at least notch the plastic, and maybe metal as well - there is more structure inside an OB bumper, probably to meet some height requirement.

As for the tips - the mufflers I got were from a sedan, so they need to be extended a bit to look right. This is easy for the Subaru parts, as the outer tip is held on with 2 bolts on each muffler. Unscrew them, pull the tip covers rearward & off, and drill a couple new holes. Slide them back on & screw the bolts back in.

This has the added avantage that there's now a bit of cooling air flow between the pipe & tip cover, which I think is good as there's only about half a cm clearance. Don't want melted plastic adding to the still-new car smell.

Awesome man-thanks for the details-I plan on doing this soon myself :cool:

why didn't you go with JDM rear sway?

Cost. I was thinking Cusco sway bar, and considered sandwood's Lachute mufflers, but recent economic developments (magnified by today's $3600 emergency tree removal) reduced the budget.

I also was concerned that the Lachutes might be too loud, but having listened briefly to Moondog without mufflers, I no longer have that concern.

Aftermarket tips, even with the longer hangers, might still rub the bumper. So some dremmling might be in order. Or making a small heat sheld from some aluminum stock.

• 2 weeks later...
Where'd you buy them? How lobng does the install take?

As posted earlier, from another member:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=431030#post431030

If you don't have to interrrupt to get another pair of hangars, and the bolts arent rusty (they shouldn't be, since we're talking '05 & '06's here), you should be able to get the cans & sway bar done in 3 hours easy, since you now know it can be done, where I had to measure & guess - mostly guess.

Ramps are required, and presoaking in wd-40 or BPblaster - especially the hangers - helps a lot. Probably the hardest part was getting the forward hangers off the car end. Not much room there, and I was trying not to damage them, in case things didn't work.

BTW - we're now getting an extra 2 mpg. Which maybe due to the replaced rear diff (forward seal was leaking badly), done just after the muffler swap. But if anyone else ends up with similar results from the muffler swap, I'll take credit!

why doesn't somebody shove a rebar up some lgt mufflers and bend down the tips?

My way is much easier and I'd guess, consistent.

Parts were from an '05 LGT sedan. It's supposed to be 17mm, and a 16mm open wrench does not fit on it. Definitely thicker & heavier. Identical geometry. I doubt there is any difference in material/heat treatment, etc., since both are USDM OEM. Which would mean approx %65 increase in stiffness.

Yes, there's a noticable difference. From scary to acceptable (for now, anyway) understeer.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Under light decelleration, there was a bit of noise which I thought was the new differential, replaced just a couple days after this mod (original one leaked, replaced under warranty). Turned out it was really the longer hangers allowing some wiggle & occasional contact somehwere.

So, I've made a mod to the mod.

Looking at the OEM hangers again, I realised that the forward and aft ones are diffrent lengths. So - I took the longer OEM ones & used them on the forward end, and kept the longer hangers I bought on the rear. This snugs everything up, and there is now constant contact between the tip & bumper cover. But no odd noise, and no sign of melting plastic. Of course, we finally have real winter temperatures, so we'll see.

The LGT rear sway bar, OTOH, has no issues.

JM, I've noticed no sound difference, nor performance difference. There is that 2mpg increase, but, as mentioned before, maybe it was the diff.

BTW - time to rotate your avatar....PLEASE!

• 1 month later...

OK, now that they've aged a bit, seems the LGT cans are a bit louder when cold. Quiets down as they warm up. Unknown how many miles were on them when I installed.

I'm beginning to think the extra 2mpg is real. Wife hit 31mpg freeway yesterday.

• 2 years later...
put my mufflers on last sat....its rubbing against the bumper cause i didnt know which hangers i should get. i also have an exhaust leak that i need to get fixed the the muffler flange meets with the ypipe thanks to have having 67k miles on the car. i will be getting a custom 3 inch mid and ypipe made this week when i get home from business.

Cans are cosmetic only, as they appear to be identical to the stockers, except for the tip.

Actually, they are different. Different part numbers, different length (LGT longer), larger tips (LGT as you mentioned), different tip attachment design, as well as different internally. There are pics of a LGT muffler cut open somewhere on this website, but I do not know of the same for the 2.5i.

I too noticed no noise or performance increase, but they sure do look better. I would assume since the LGT flows more exhaust under greater pressure, the mufflers would flow better as well, but thats just a guess. I have since gone to the Xo2 mufflers.

Just to update - now have a 20mm JDM hollow rear bar ( big improvement) followed by decent tires (GYTT's) and a decent alignment.

Wife is happy with the way it handles now; I'd prefer more feedback. Thinking of some caster improvement.

• 1 month later...

Archived