LegacyGT.com

American BL5 headlight shape vs JDM

Quick question, do the BL5 (2005 shape) headlights have a curve looking shape (like a ball) on the glass infront of the highbeam?

I bought the headlight below planning to use the clear plastic to replace the plastic on my JDM BL5 (both 2005 style lights)

American, that i bought

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Subaru-Legacy-right-headlight-05-06-07-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqN,!ikE+1ZG+HrcBQKCtTGfK!~~60_3.JPG

JDM sample

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/JDM-Subaru-03-05-Legacy-BP5-BL5-GT-OEM-Left-HID-Headlights-Headlamps-MINT-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$T2eC16h,!zcE9s4g4wCeBQrlrQnDS!~~60_3.JPG

Just want to know if the plastic would match

p.s ignore the left and right mismatch in the example

• 3 weeks later...

Update: They didn't match. The interal setup was different, I had to use the american headlight and swap in my projectors. I know I could flip the shield but my bowl looked much cleaner.

Also on the exterior, there was one area that didn't match up completely

The high beams are on the inside. The ball/curved portion you're tallking about in front of the projector lens is the low beam.

IIRC USDM bumpers stick out further than the ROW, so it may be that USDM headlights also curve out more.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Yeah, the outer lense. Turns out that the screw holes for the lense didn't line up, nor did the contours for the edges. And when I tried placing the projector and the other part in the newer peice, the internals had diff screws too.

Well my friend, my apologies. I had to swap EVERYTHING except the hood and custom wire in the headlamps for my conversion. The 05-07 USDM and 03-06 JDM (Version A-C) at least have more of a direct swap effect (i.e. you don't have to replace the fenders and the bumper/headlamps/grill are interchangeable AFAIK) which led me to believe that the shape of the housings should be the same. The 07-08 JDM and 08-09 USDM (Version D-F) are so different it's not even funny and there are FAR more revisions than what we had here in the states...

If I understand you correctly though, your JDM lens was faded and you were wanting to swap the USDM lens over to freshen up the appearance? I would have told you to just use a lens clearing solution like the Mothers kit with polishing ball lol. Or if you have the money to dump on a set of new headlamps...

Archived