LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs. Outback XT Gearing

I'm more interested in the manual transmission. On page 5MT-2 of the factory repair manual if you have a copy, they have two 2.5 L Turbo's listed. What they call "Except for Outback" and "Outback." I am assuming that the "Except for Outback" is the Legacy GT since the repair manual is for the Legacy.

Both have the following:

1st: 3.166

2nd: 1.882

3rd: 1.296

4th: .972

5th: .738

Where they differ is in the final gear ratio:

Legacy GT: 4.111

Outback XT: 4.444

Since the Outback isn't talked about much in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, I would pressume that it would be just a quick as the lighter Legacy or maybe even a little quicker. Any ideas?

The Outback has larger diameter tires than the Legacy which are going to reduce (or eliminate) the gearing advantage and add to the rotational weight. I believe that when taking the larger tires into account the Outback XT's effective gearing is actually taller than the Legacy GT's. This coupled with the extra weight should make the XT a bit slower than the GT.

Maybe weight isn't all that much of an issue as I previously thought. I just checked on Edmunds and there is only about 100lb. difference in curb weight. Just a little mushier suspension might be the only factor aside from the driver, weather, etc.

Legacy GT Sedan: 3300

Legacy GT Wagon: 3355

Outback XT: 3415

I'm not sure about RPMs at 60 in 5th off the top of my head. This calculator works well though: http://www.car-videos.com/tools/speedrpm.asp

I put in the numbers for the LGT and OXT with the stock tire size (XT is 225/55 17, right?) and at 2500 rpm in 5th the Outback would be going .3 mph faster so it does look like with the tires the effective gearing is pretty much the same.

• 7 years later...
  • I Donated
back from outer space...

If i change my rear diff on my outback xt for a 4.11 instead of 4.44 will it work???

No.

It will shred the center diff, because your rear wheels will be powered at a different speed than your front wheels but will be moving at the same speed.

Nice thread necromancy, BTW.

Archived