LegacyGT.com

In the Market for a 97-99' second Gen 2.5GT

When buying a used second Gen 2.5 LGT the most important thing to look for:  

29 members have voted

1. 1. When buying a used second Gen 2.5 LGT the most important thing to look for:

• The milage
    • The interior's ccondition because you plan to swap motos already
    • If its a 5spd or Auto
    • Either a wagon or sedan

Well, I first started looking into the Legacy about a month ago. I'm looking to

spend about 4.5-5k on the Legacy. What I look at on Cars.com and auto trader is plenty of legacy wagons.....I'm not wanting the wagon at all. I REALLY like the 4 door sedan. I'm posting this thread to ask what the differnces are in the "L" version vs. 2.5GT, vs the Legacy Outback. Also I've only found one 5spd in the whole bunch. Are there things that I should be wary about when buying a 97-99 Legacy? I have read it's a great car, real bullet proof with reliability.

Can I get a owners description on what he things I should look out for when buying on the used market?

So far I'm really fond of either the black on black version or the Red/Tan leather of the GT....but I've only seen mint versions of that one in automatic. What's the deal with the 30th anniversary edition?

What are my intentions? To buy the car and swap out the wheels and tires for a little more aggressive look on the car and just have fun driving it. I've never driven a AWD car before and I'm really looking forward to it!

My previous cars:

'89 Isuzu Impulse Turbo

'02 Chevy

98' Lexus SC300 (current car)

I voted mileage, but you should have an option for rust. I have seen 150k mile rust buckets, and then there are cars like mine that have 216k and barely any rust (Florida car)

Also, i think the 2.5 gets a bad rep, Most times i have heard of people loseing HG's it usually is just something that "happens" not from them abusing it. I think, if you replace the stock HG's and don't get stupid with it, the 2.5 is a fine motor, and that extra 20-25HP is nice.

Yeah no doubt is that extra power nice. I am curious to know the HP per lbs ratio between the L (2.2) and GT (2.5).

After hearing that the 2.5 isn't as tolerant and the way I drive it places I would just have that thought in the back of my mind.

For daily driving and some spirited driving go for the 2.5. I do wish the 2.2 had more power though.

As someone who has a 2.5gt 30th with now 186k miles on it i will give my impression based off things AFTER i got it working right from its last owner who far as i can tell did diddly SQUAT to care for it mechanically :(

since fixing it up and getting it to run right the car runs strong, spirited and handles great added to this fact is that i put in more higher quality replacement parts means its more stable all around i think

HG for me were replaced around the 120k mark according to the last owner really the only thing they did do to it :\ when we first got it the care mechanically was a wreck but it was a sorta no choice option that i had to buy cause i NEEDED a car....anyhow getting side tracked

personally i like the 2.5gt nice engine and does what i need it too

• I Donated

Mileage on a car isn't that big of a deal for me. I look at service records, condition, etc.

As far as Legacys go, I MUST have a sedan. I won't buy an automatic either. My ultimate plans with legacys are to swap then entire drivetrain / suspension / wiring / etc

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Yeah no doubt is that extra power nice. I am curious to know the HP per lbs ratio between the L (2.2) and GT (2.5).

After hearing that the 2.5 isn't as tolerant and the way I drive it places I would just have that thought in the back of my mind.

For daily driving and some spirited driving go for the 2.5. I do wish the 2.2 had more power though.

its about an extra 30hp and 30tq and those peak numbers kick in 400rpms sooner. i just went from a 2.2 to a 2.5 and the difference in power is substantial. finally having passing power is nice and my gas mileage is around the same

After Shopping around............seems like when I opened one door there was 3 behind that door. Gonna post some photos right now....

I'm going to to do the 2.5GT no doubt. But there is the issue of availability of a 5speed. And also, from what I can tell the 98' is a direct carry over from its 97' model (save the front ground effects and fog lights) The 99' is just a tad different.

Here go some preliminary selections: *Drum Roll*

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/985spd-1.png

This is a 98' 5spd 120,000. Owner says has a new HG and clutch. Red on Grey cloth interior.....asking 5,900. Sort of pricey.....but really like the 5spd deal since thats whats leading in my survey at the top of the thread.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/97LSI25darkred.png

This is a 97 LSI 2.5 with 60K on its original clock.....not a GT but an "L" listed as having a 2.5L. Has the nose a little different from the 98-99 front air dam. I'm thinking that the suspension and the differenial is different in this 97 from the later models. interior on this LSI is VERY COOL. Light tan seats mixed with black. Ill post a pic of the interior...

She's pretty but I think too pricey for me for the intentions that I have for moding the car at a later date. 7,5K asking price. My LEXUS SC300 was 8K with 76K on the clock! WTF

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/99Legacy5spd.jpg

Last entry: only my 3rd find out of 300 Legacys that is a 5SPD.

She's a 1999 2.5 GT with 98K on the clock. She looks a little rough because the owner used her as a trade in at a Subaru Dealership. The finance manager says that they will have to sell at a wholesale price since they will not sell damaged cars. Its a bit risky but I will get ahold of a 5spd at less then 1/2 the cost. I have to ascertain how much damage that she has first if she's to be a contender or just a pipe dream. The reason that I keep her in the game is because she has the least miles of any of the 5spds that I've seen and I have a good friend that owns a body shop.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/OutbackSedan.jpg

ok, ok, I'm NOT willing to spend 12grand on this project but can someone on here tell me what a OUTBACK's front on a Sedan Legacy was doing here? Also, it has a F-150 stance. I think this little guy is taller by a couple of inches. Anyhow, not my style...but fun to look at.

Love the '99 Limited. Limited Editions came with a double din stereo that is more fancy than the others. I like the other '99 that's a 5 spd too, If you know anyone that is handy with body work and you get a good deal on it I think that would be the way I would go. You could still take it to your mechanic before you buy it just to see what all is going on with it. If there are too many mechanical problems and too much body damage then pass on that, obviously.

Love the '99 Limited. Limited Editions came with a double din stereo that is more fancy than the others. I like the other '99 that's a 5 spd too, If you know anyone that is handy with body work and you get a good deal on it I think that would be the way I would go. You could still take it to your mechanic before you buy it just to see what all is going on with it. If there are too many mechanical problems and too much body damage then pass on that, obviously.

GTLOVER, I am leaning the same way on that 99 5spd. It would really dissapoint me if its damaged to the point that it be a money pit. I just really want that 5spd

The Limited is a sweet cherry! Its my first choice if the 5spd is a nightmare.

Archived