LegacyGT.com

Clutch recommendations, stg2, SpecB

jeepr

So, earlier in the year, on my 2008 SpecB with Stage2 and custom tune, the clutch started slipping in 5th and 6th when I would step on it to pass. I took the custom tune out and used the standard Cobb Stage 2 and bought myself some time, but now it's doing it again. What's strange is I only have 17,000 miles and two other SpecB people I know at Stage2 are still on their stock clutches. Oh well, bottom line, I need a clutch.

My first thought was Exedy. But, then someone suggested Clutch Master FX200. And yet someone else suggest ACT. I see on here talk of the FX300. And Exedy has Stage1 and Stage2, each with different spring options.

I don't plan to go beyond Stage2. If I'm reading my picture of the dyno right, I'm at about 230hp (at wheels) and 300ft lb of torque.

What do you guys suggest?

• I Donated Too
you can resurface your flywheel (specB's come with the WRX single mass flywheel, i think, not the crazy dual mass one the 5mt legacys come with), or if you want an STI sized clutch you need to buy a STI flywheel. You can do either of those things. You definitely do not want to put a new clutch in without doing one of those two things tho.

Check the production date to determine with flywheel you have, I have the Sti flywheel in my Spec B but some built later have the dual mass.....

I also need a clutch upgrade and leaning towards the south bend stage 2 endurance. Heard some good things about it from users.

I had over 80,000 miles on the old Spec 2+, a lot of that at stage 2 power.

I now have a Spec 2 clutch and love it. Easier to drive and feels like the stock clutch in my 09 SpecB. The 2+ had a nice almost stock feel but was more of a high performance clutch that would chatter ever now and then. To stop it, I just side steped the pedal with tranny in neutral. But it worked great for launching the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nobody else with feedback on the options?

If you can swing the cost the ClutchMaster clutch is the nicest one I have installed to date. I have an ACT HS-SS in my car......great clutch but pedal effort is rediculous. My friends FX300 has a stock like pedal feel.

now have a Spec 2 clutch and love it.
Sorry, this one is new to me, Spec 2??

My friends FX300 has a stock like pedal feel.
Someone is telling me FX300 is overkill for my needs, and is saying the FX200. Thoughts?

Sorry, this one is new to me, Spec 2??

Someone is telling me FX300 is overkill for my needs, and is saying the FX200. Thoughts?

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Subaru/Legacy/2008/Single

You can buy them from some of the vendors on here. My last one came from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Okay, leaning toward Clutch Master. But, oddly, their website had no option of a SpecB or 6-speed in the Leggy. I called them and it seemed like news to them. They are checking to see if it is the same as the STI (but for Exedy it is a different part number).

• I Donated Too
Okay, leaning toward Clutch Master. But, oddly, their website had no option of a SpecB or 6-speed in the Leggy. I called them and it seemed like news to them. They are checking to see if it is the same as the STI (but for Exedy it is a different part number).

You'll need to do the 07 STI fitment clutch with an STI flywheel or get the 08+ WRX clutch i think. (i could be wrong) Personally i'm gonna do the STI flywheel and STI clutch, they're a little beefier.

Talk with Infamous Performance - Mike knows what works and sells CM clutch setups (at great prices!).

What he said !!!!

m sprank and Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com can answer your questions and get you good prices and give you great customer service. Things you don't find when you buy from a web site.

Those guy's are here every day.

• 2 weeks later...
I called azpinstalls and they confirmed it is the STI part. They, like my local mechanic, suggested the FX200, that the FX300 would be overkill for me. So, I think I'm going with FX2000. Thanks for the input guys.

• 2 months later...

That's odd, I just checked Spec Clutch's site and they list the same Spec 2 clutch for 08 Spec B and a 02-12 STI.

That's the clutch I will use in my 09 Spec B when it comes time.

Love the one in my 05 Wagon.

Wonder why your Spec B clutch would not mate to the OEM FW that came in your car ?

Have you asked either of the Mike's ?

he probably received the FX200 for the 6 speed fitment in error

He has a 6 speed, 08 Spec B.

Did you mean to say 5 speed...?

Correct, I have a 6-speed. And, we ordered the STI FX200 clutch, as suggested by several people. And, then, had to get the STI flywheel too. I had talked to Mike at Infamous, and he said it might not look right, but that it would bolt to my flywheel. But Sean at Vigilant Motorsports, that was putting it in, said he tried and it was not right, so we did the STI flywheel also.

Wonder why your Spec B clutch would not mate to the OEM FW that came in your car

Max Capacity, I'm not sure what you meant by "Spec B clutch", Clutchmaster doesn't have a "Spec B" clutch. In fact, when I called them directly, I was less than impressed, they weren't aware of a Legacy GT having a 6-speed transmission.

Oem flywheel in the specB is the WRX size

That seems consistent with what I heard later. So, one thought was send the STI clutch back and get a WRX. But, went with the STI flywheel instead.

Archived