LegacyGT.com

AWD not working???

First of all I pretty know nothing about cars, sorry if I sound like an idiot.

Last winter my car would never ever slip in the snow. I could accelerate just fine, within reason, even if I was turning. We had the first snow of the winter recently and I was sliding all over the place. Is there anything I should check out on my car? If I take it to get repaired what should I ask about? Could this be the tires, haven't changed them since I got the car in 06? A few pointers would help out a ton, thanks.

Tires could be a factor but I'd be surprised if one year's driving could make that much difference. Snow varies a lot though... slush vs. ice, 30F vs. 20F, wet vs dry, you get the idea.

I've had my car up in the rockies countless times in all kinds of snow and temps. Something really seems to not be working at this point. I'll check out the alignment and see if that helps.

In which way is it sliding? Front-end, rear-end or both at the same time? It may get you a hint.

If you are losing grip with the rear end it's probably time to take a look at the tires. Summer tires during winter isn't good.

453747.png

In that case it's likely to be a tire issue. I recommend that you try to get a different set of wheels for winter use.

Go for relatively cheap and narrow rims and equip them with good winter tires that are on the narrow side for what's specified for your car. That will give you the best grip. The difference is amazing when it comes to the amount of grip you get from winter tires compared to summer tires.

453747.png

it's a 2006 with just under 20k miles

Assuming you have the factory RE92a's they are likely done for winter traction despite lots of tread left.

I would suggest like others either investing in a winter tire/rim set from tirerack.com or putting on all-seasons biased for winter duty like the Continental ExtremeContact. All-seasons are not created equal in snow/winter capability. Sadly the factory tires (re92a) are pretty bad with this respect.

find you a gravel feild floor it and see if the rear-end kicks up rocks.

then take car to paint shop to repair the rock chips ;)

isn't there a fuse to take out to basically make the car FWD? i thought i read that around here somewhere...

if so, take it out and see if anything changes.

but i'd go take it for an alignment check anyway, always a good thing to check. the alignment was way out on my blazer this spring... holy crap it was a pain to drive above 50mph. and i had to get on the highway (55 zone) to get to the shop to get it aligned.

i was about to say: after I put my Conti Extremes...driving in the snow stopped being fun: so much harder to slide the sucker around the turns.

Then I guess you have been 'disappointed' the past couple of days, eh?

Archived