LegacyGT.com

Acura may switch to all-wheel drive only

ssbtech

Honda luxury brand could follow in the steps of Subaru

Acura, trying to reinvent itself yet again, is taking a cue from one of America's hottest-selling brands.

Honda Motor Co.'s premium brand wants to position all-wheel drive at the center of its revival bid, much the way Subaru did in the 1990s, to great success.

AWD, already on half the vehicles Acura has sold in the U.S. this year, could be offered as a standard technology on all vehicles.

[...]

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/acura-may-swtich-all-wheel-drive-only?utm_source=DailyDrive20141014&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Acura is trying to claim a niche attempting to offer fun AWD as standard... while subaru already HAD it but ditched its niche and move over to the boring bland mainstream direction... hopefully this will slaps subaru so hard that it will finally start building fun cars again and come back to its loyal fan base. Cars like the LGT 6mt or the Levorg 1.6dit 2.0dit 2.5dit etc. ***praying****

As I have said for years, if Honda build a car like this, it would put Subaru out of business. They build a much better transmission.

Bring it on.

Acura's problem is they cost to much and the TL is ulgy. The 05-09TL was like our 4th Gen Legacy's, good looking.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Subaru has obviously been doing something right. We (the enthusiasts) don't like their new cars, but their sales numbers suggest we probably don't matter.

If Honda/Acura made a proper Outback competitor Subaru might be in for some hurt. A competitor to the Legacy Sedan? There are plenty of fun AWD sedans around now.

Subaru has obviously been doing something right. We (the enthusiasts) don't like their new cars, but their sales numbers suggest we probably don't matter.

If Honda/Acura made a proper Outback competitor Subaru might be in for some hurt. A competitor to the Legacy Sedan? There are plenty of fun AWD sedans around now.

What about the TSX Sport Wagon? That comes in AWD.

Guest rayms69
I have been looking at the legacy for a long time, finally it looks good, so I bought it. I am shocked that u subaru diehards don't like the new one. We all have different tastes, the increase in legacy sales is great for all of us. I always buy unique cars to set apart from the masses myself, thats part of the reason I bought the Legacy.

I like that Levora, I think the name was...but I agree with Max Capacity. I mean, the main reason why I have an LGT is because I couldn't find a 94-95 Accord wagon and the TSX wagon was FWD. AWD was a huge plus though.

I'm willing to bet it's SH-AWD, which some models already have. The point of the article is they're going to make it standard on all models(remember, it started with the RL and has worked it's way to other models).

This would be more valuable if it was Honda proper doing AWD across the board.

See below.

There was no specification on what type of AWD system they will use. Not all are created equal.

I'm willing to bet it's SH-AWD, which some models already have. The point of the article is they're going to make it standard on all models(remember, it started with the RL and has worked it's way to other models).

Yup.

Acura is so lost that the only thing they can do is say that they'll try and copy a facet of a company that is doing well without really seeing why the company is doing well.

Subaru has nearly always had AWD and made it standard across the board a while back, but that is not why Subaru is newly selling cars hand over fist, it's because their cars are very mainstream now (read vanilla) and quite a bit less quirky.

You should not be shocked that the die hards don't like the new one. Just compare it to the 4th gen and it'll be very obvious why. Even though the 6th gen is a nice car, it's nothing more than Subaru's AWD take on a Camry. There is nothing sporty about it, it only offers a CVT and a conventional automatic, mated to anemic engines. Why would I desire one I'm not sure.

Now if Subaru would bring over the Lavorg with that 2.0 turbo and a manual, I'd be trading in my '08 LGT in a heartbeat for one of those.

I am glad Subaru has gone main stream that why I moved from Jeeps and bought two Subarus. The sales are climbing because of the changes. As for manuals the majority of the buying public can not use or not interested. Subaru does research and statistical analysis and goes to the buying power. That was the same reason Subaru made quirky vehicles in the past but as everything always change so must a Company. Subaru sales car to each country that the majority will buy same as Honda etc. Imho
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I am glad Subaru has gone main stream that why I moved from Jeeps and bought two Subarus. The sales are climbing because of the changes. As for manuals the majority of the buying public can not use or not interested. Subaru does research and statistical analysis and goes to the buying power. That was the same reason Subaru made quirky vehicles in the past but as everything always change so must a Company. Subaru sales car to each country that the majority will buy same as Honda etc. Imho

You are completely right and a case in point really, these are not for die hard enthusiast, which is such a small niche (very fringe) portion of the buying public. Subaru is in this to make money after all so of course they should pursue that. But mainly people want a Camry and sometimes they want a Camry with AWD, and sometimes they want a Camry made by Honda, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, etc., majority want the plain and safe really. It's a good way to go without a doubt.

I don't think they're lost, so to say, just trying to separate themselves from their main-brand; Honda. Remember, Acura is Honda's luxury brand so I don't think it'll pull much of Subaru's sales(if it would, then it would already show up as Acura, BMW, etc have released AWD models already); which I'm sure have the highest sales in areas where AWD is needed. Using your analogy, A Subaru Legacy is equivalent to a Camry with AWD, while a AWD Acura would be equivalent to a Lexus ES with AWD. That's also not to mention SH-AWD is much more advance than anything Subaru is offering right now.

Acura will not pull customers that want "plain and safe". If that was their goal, you'd see it in their Honda brand.

I don't think they're lost, so to say, just trying to separate themselves from their main-brand; Honda. Remember, Acura is Honda's luxury brand so I don't think it'll pull much of Subaru's sales(if it would, then it would already show up as Acura, BMW, etc have released AWD models already); which I'm sure have the highest sales in areas where AWD is needed. Using your analogy, A Subaru Legacy is equivalent to a Camry with AWD, while a AWD Acura would be equivalent to a Lexus ES with AWD. That's also not to mention SH-AWD is much more advance than anything Subaru is offering right now.

Acura will not pull customers that want "plain and safe". If that was their goal, you'd see it in their Honda brand.

This is not about Acura pulling Subaru sales, but Acura floundering in their own market; Subaru sold nearly three times the number of cars in 2013 than Acura. They are also at about half the sales of Lexus, their number one competitor, and Audi is slowly but surely nipping at their heals.

You think that languishing sales of everything but the MDX, with poorly received TL redesign, which will be dropped with 2014 model year, RL that was dropped in 2012, for one car that will take on the role of TL and RL is trying to separate themselves from Honda? Downsizing the number of your product to garner better sales numbers is definitely not the strategy they are looking for in this market. Just look at what Audi and Lexus are doing.

Also you don't think that Acura is trying to play it safe? Just look at the TLX. It looks like a slight refresh of the TL, same 3.5L that Honda and Acura have had and have in every thing they make, and no more manual transmission. Yeah, they are very daring with this one. Truth be told Acura is so lost in their own market that they can't risk doing anything, but play it safe.

Maybe once the NSX comes out they will have a daring offering, but again they've been teasing that one for the last decade. Kind of like Guns-n-Roses working on Chinese Deomcracy for 15 years and once if finally came out, it was like, "Wait, I've been waiting for this for 15 years?!" That is what the new NSX will be.

Acura is also considered an entry luxury brand, sadly a floundering one, as I always liked Acura and Honda and could disassemble and assemble a B18C with my eyes closed. Those awesome Acura days are long gone.

Great job buying into the marketing. SH-AWD is the VTM-4 system from the Pilot paired with two rear clutch packs instead of an LSD. It operates as mostly FWD with the capability of sending up to 40% of the torque to the rear wheels for acceleration and 70% for cornering. It can send up to 100% of that torque to one of the rear wheels. SH-AWD's normal torque split is 90% front and 10% rear. Acura has been dumbing down SH-AWD since it was originally introduced in the RL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Back to the original question: Would Acura switch to AWD only? Considering the new TLX was introduced with fwd on the 4cyl model and a choice of FWD or AWD on the 6cyl I'd say no.

Does Acura's AWD give up some capabilities in the most extreme weather conditions? Yes, but how many people live in that climate or need that capability? My wife will need the next car we buy, and Acura is high on the list. Acura did have automatic transmission issues in the past, but their new automatic on the AWD TLX is sourced from ZF who builds some of the best. On the other hand, Subaru offers no choices and gives you an unproven CVT.

Back to the original question: Would Acura switch to AWD only? Considering the new TLX was introduced with fwd on the 4cyl model and a choice of FWD or AWD on the 6cyl I'd say no.

Does Acura's AWD give up some capabilities in the most extreme weather conditions? Yes, but how many people live in that climate or need that capability? My wife will need the next car we buy, and Acura is high on the list. Acura did have automatic transmission issues in the past, but their new automatic on the AWD TLX is sourced from ZF who builds some of the best. On the other hand, Subaru offers no choices and gives you an unproven CVT.

The CVT, like the 5EAT and 4EAT before it, is Jatco, and has been "proven" in many Nissan vehicles.

They might as well since their AWD is actually FWD till the back wheels are needed. :icon_chee

The CVT, like the 5EAT and 4EAT before it, is Jatco, and has been "proven" in many Nissan vehicles.

I drove a rental Nissan Altima in Atlanta recently, and didn't care for the growl and vibration from start. It had low miles but that car had "trouble" written all over it.

Subaru does NOT use a Jatco CVT. Subaru's CVT is designed in house and is not a Jatco sourced unit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived