LegacyGT.com

Need opinions - looking at buying a 93 L

So a previous 93 L I found was sold before I got a chance to look at it... and I just so happened to find another one.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=361725656

It looks to be in pretty good shape (I haven't seen it in person yet... I plan on going to look at it Saturday).

They want $2400 for it, which I think is crazy... it has over 148K, and I have no idea if the timing belt has been replaced yet, let alone how many miles are on the clutch (those are my biggest maintenance concerns).

Carfax report shows that it was in an accident on the right side back in 2/94, just a few months after it was purchased (7/93). It doesn't LOOK bad, but it's an accident non-the-less. I'll look at what I can when I check it out this weekend.

It is on a used car lot; KBB puts it at $2200 for this car on retail.

I was thinking about offering $1800 due to the unknowns (maintenance, accident damage, etc). Or should I go lower? I've never dickered for a car really (I've only bought my 05 LGT from a car lot and it was already a great price, all the other cars I've gotten were either brand new or private party sales).

What do you think?

Unless the car is in MINT condition, don't pay that much. $2,400 is way to much for an L or an LS with 150K miles. Bring up the accident, and your concerns with the timing belt and the clutch. Use these to bargain your way to a better price.

I also see some issues with the listing for the car. This car doesn't have a passenger airbag, the windows aren't tinted, it doesn't look like it has cruise from the images, and it doesn't have ABS. Its also only 2WD.

The car is in great shape (Minus the carpets) but its a base model and the only thing it has going for it is the 5 speed and the alloy rims. The MOST I could see that car selling for is $1,600 or $2,000.

How can I tell if it has ABS (aside from slamming on the brakes? LOL)

Is the cruise setup like it is on newer Legacy's (A separate lever around 4 o'clock position)? Here is a pick of my 2005 LGT for reference

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/grmorrow04/Legacy%20GT/DSC04214.jpg

Mine has one. It says

ABS

AWD

or something to that effect. I just took it off some junk car, though

and taped it to my fender out of boredom. In actuality it's only

half right. The newer systems are great, but these older ones were primitive.

dont even bother looking at that car. (honestly) i wouldnt pay 500 for that car.

for 2400 u can get a nice SS for that price. keep searching and dont settle for something u wont get ur money back.

Could you be a bit more specific? LOL... reasons for your thoughts?

I don't need/want an SS... I've got a Suby that fulfills those needs :wub:

I think he's just trying to say that you wouldn't be getting much car for the money. While that car does appear to be in pristine condition, you could get an equally clean fully loaded AWD version, LS, LS+, or even an SS for about the same price.

Either way, if it means another first genner on the boards I'd encourage you, but try to get him to come down on the price first. If I were going to spend $2,000+ for a first gen Legacy it would have to be AWD. Then again, you don't see many in such good shape.

No criticism, just suggestions. :)

• I Donated
If it has ABS a light should come on in the instrument panel when you start the car. Some first gen Legacy's actually had ABS badges on the outside of the car, but I think that was only the 1990 and 1991 models.

The 92 sedan that my brother inherited from my grandparents had an ABS badge at the bottom center of the rear window.

Now THAT car was pristine. Winestone L+ AWD 5MT, garage kept until 2005. We upgraded to a WRX shift linkage when the stock shifter came apart; that and 14" alloys were the only mods. When my brother drove it into a ditch in November 2008, it had around 55k mi on it, and it mostly looked it. Too bad it had $4000 in damage after that incident. We ended up getting $100 for it. It would have been at least $2500 private-party before the accident.

Trust me guys, I'm not going to spend over $2K for this car, not even that... I can find newer cars, with engines/platforms I know inside and out, for less than that... and closer to home lol. This car is about 2 hrs away from me.

Also realize I'm not looking to get a return on it; this is going to be my DD for work (I drive 100 miles a day, M-F, for at least the next 4 years). I don't want AWD due to the decrease in MPG... and same reason for not wanting an SS. Plus the way I look at it, it's an older car, so with more options/features comes more things to fix when they break.

We'll see what they do when I give them my offer tomorrow; if they don't like it, I'll just walk.

Archived