LegacyGT.com

Alternative to Moore Performance blast plates

A stumbled across a guy in Wisconsin who has designed transmission reinforcement plates for Subaru 5 speeds. Acumenhokie got Moore Performance blast plates to fit our 6 speed trans with longer bolts and maybe slight modification. These are essentially the same product but with thicker gussets and lower price tag. He is a mechanical engineer by trade and has an STI swapped Baja. Price is $300 shipped with wrinkle black powder coating. He just got a run of 11 back from powder coating yesterday. Contact him at vdahlae@gmail.com.

2f6369a1b94a62c6ad303de62615116f.jpg

417133e0ff58aecdb7f96364d3700174.jpg

3299dac5d62c1a3ac9f7d8a613dd33e9.jpg

d653758871daa814e29fa516271f89dd.jpg

341682cb5d863a356d07596d877348b4.jpg

479bc22821c7e6c172d6cd3eac5e195e.jpg

c48069a97103960cba0c3baf0a402775.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trans issues are few and far between. Acumenhokie killed a gear or two. I think he later admitted to not using the clutch on a hard 1-2 shift but he'd have to chime in to clarify that. BBPeik is doing an STI 6 speed swap. I think his car was still stock turbo, probably stage 2.

Bbpeik was beyond a normal stage 2, and no longer stock turbo or cams iirc. Our biggest issue will probably be from shock loading first and foremost that seems to be the most common cause of failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Edited by FLlegacy

BBPeik is Stage3+ with a built motor and 20G turbo and STi cams. Maybe he can send this guy his transmission case to make plates for us and the 2015+WRX 6MT.

5th Gen GT Trans failures I know of...

acumenhokie

SomeZero

BBPeik

I just spoke with Joe about this. My transmission case is already stripped down to nothing. I would be more than happy to get the transmission to the guy, but I need to see what the cost would be. Its not super heavy, but is rather large. Any ideas on the best way to ship it? Edited by BBPeik

Since we share a tranny with the 2015+ WRX guys, are there any reports of 6MT failures over on NASIOC after 350hp, 400hp, etc? I know some of the FA20DIT motors are starting develop some serious horsepower. I wonder if this guy would be interested in developing a blast plate specifically for us and the 2015+ WRX crowd. I would be willing to spearhead the effort to get some discussion started with this guy, or maybe ebo03 would be interested in starting a dialogue.

Modern Subaru transmission failures are fairly rare. In 7 years of building high power rotated kits, none have ever busted their tranny. The 2005 LGT and 2006 WRX started the new 5spd. It has a hardened transmission case.... Subaru thickened the case in the areas this "brace" is supposed to strengthen. 6MT failures are even more rare.

There is little benefit from this part.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

It's be a great market for him to jump on before another manufacturer can do it. Garauntee he would kill their price point too.

*Edit* since I didn't see mweiners post before I did mine. Can't say I have any data or experience with blasts plates but most of the Subaru crowd here think they're a gimmick, that if you're pushing that much power through a trans and you break something, those plates aren't a failproof solution.. He said it first, I just didn't want to say that

Edited by s2baru

I don't know if you can really call them rare at this point...nickfrompalmbeach also broke his trans albeit launching at the strip, nevertheless a failure. I wonder if maybe the 5th Gen is just pushing a lot more power and torque then the previous cars and the 2.0 or if a lot of people overestimate how much power they have run with the previous 5spd and the current wrx/6mt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

After closely inspecting our case vs the STI case, our case is definitely a weak point. It is just a ton smaller with no reinforcement to speak of. Mind you it can handle a lot of power. I am sure I could have kept driving with mine for quite a while before the bearings went completely. I really have no idea if blast plates will help or not, but they can not hurt.

Don't know if I would ever need this but since it woulf probably be a limited amount, I would jump on getting one. Would this normally just bolt on if it was fit f9r our cars or is there still some disassembly required to install?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just spoke with Joe about this. My transmission case is already stripped down to nothing. I would be more than happy to get the transmission to the guy, but I need to see what the cost would be. Its not super heavy, but is rather large. Any ideas on the best way to ship it?

I don't mind pitching in to help with shipping costs. Let me know and we'll get it going.

He says having the case will definitely expedite the process. He can use the equipment at work for measurements, etc. Thanks for offering it up BBPeik.

The stars all aligned for this one. We happen to have a spare trans case and a member willing to ship it. I was searching the NASIOC classifieds for Moore blast plates b/c they are currently out of stock. I messaged a guy who had a set listed and he no longer had them but gave me his friend's number who had a few sets for sale.

However, according to Max they really really help with feel. Gears dont fight you anymore.

I can confirm that as well. I saw an instant improvement in shifting on mine after installing them. It was much more consistent and felt easier to shift.

Having done a back to back comparison of not having them then installing them(doing nothing else in the process), I would argue to those that say our transmissions don't flex. Why else would shifting improve?