LegacyGT.com

Fog Light Replacement!!!

Pijanica84

So today I discovered that my driver side fog light is out. I need to replace the bulbs and really don't care what kind of bulbs go in. But, I searched the forum and tried to find it in the manual on how to replace the bulbs. In the manual it says it may be hard to do so have your Subaru dealer replace them for you. I'm out of warranty so that wont be happening and I would like to do it myself. I purchased the car recently so i don't really know how to do it or how to go about it. Is there an EDU on doing it or can someone tell me. HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!

You need to get the car up on stands, pull the plastic covering back by removing the pop-its, there should be 2 bolts holding the housing into the bumper, remove them from the back, remove the front covers and pull the entire housing free, from there I think you can figure out how to change a bulb...I think the size is H3...

My .02...

Its an 05 LGT Limited. I can fit under there, and i did see the plastic thing with the rivets. Its just it seems to be connected to the wheel well housing also. So i just pop it off and it should look similar to the low beam head light housing right?

No need to get the car on stands. Unless car is slammed there is enough space to get the fog.

I think you do need a ramp or stands. Its pretty low, too low for my head at least lol. Does the housing come off from the whole wheel well because they all look connected, and i've never done this before. Anyone have pics or something?

I always changed them without jacking the car up. the key is turn the wheel all the way one way to have more space. also no need to unscrew anything, the black cap behind it just comes off by turning it. it is not the easiest thing to do, but you can do it.

X

---

On our OB - which may be different - I didn't need stands, but it was tight. Ramps would probably work. But the weird part was that on th driver side, I removed the lower panel, but found it easier on the pax side to remove the intake & go in from the top. Had to do most of the connections blind on the driver side.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I got both of mine frm the top, the drivers side can be reached by taking out the pop it for the Washer fluid neck and moving out of the way. Much easier than going in from underneath.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Turn wheels remove pop-its holding on wheel well lining, pull back, reach in.

I did mine in about 10 minutes.

Jack stands? Ramps? If you're looking for a reason to burn through a 6 pack while replacing the bulbs i guess...

• 1 year later...

Turns out that my fog light bulb just burnt out.

I plan on attacking it this weekend. Perhaps I can take some pics. I have simply been reading the info on this page before I dig into it. If I remember, i'll take some pictures unless someone has already done so.

Karl

EDIT:

Someone should combine all "fog light" threads into one. Waaaay too many to go through.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15343&highlight=fog+lights

Ironically enough I suck at the search function. The above link DID NOT come up when I searched fog lights. Perhaps someone could give me some pointers on the search function!!!

• 2 months later...

Replaced the fogs in my 09 OBXT yesterday evening, switching from stock to Luminics 9006 yellows. Directions in previous thread about removing pop its are spot on, only 3 needed removing if going in from underneath which was easy with the clearance of the OB, no need for ramps or anything. The PITA came in re-orienting the bulb housing. To remove the bulb housing you twist it anti-clockwise and it easily comes out, switch the bulbs and then need obviously to get it back in. The housing will only fit one way as one of the tabs is smaller than the other two. I was wary about breaking the housing by twisting too hard once I got it seated in the right spot but after fumbling for what seemed an eternity, I just turned a touch harder than before and it locked into place (about 1/5 turn was all that was needed). The driver side was more problematic than the pax.

Re the bulbs, I love the yellow look but the Luminics are a very light yellow shade, not the burning, powerful yellow/orange I saw on a big rig this morning. Havem't had good opportunity to test them in foul weather but heading up to Tahoe soon so will get the perfect test run. However, for $28 shipped for the pair, I am happy with the change.

HID install in fog lights, same as head lights? i have the sharphid kit in headlights no issues,

When I did mine I took the whole bumper off. The extra space and finding a good spot to mount the ballasts is nice. If you haven't had the bumper off already it's really easy. Remove grill, then around the bottom of the bumper and in the wheel wells are a bunch of pop-its. Once they're all out it slides right off.

• 1 month later...

I did the full bumper removal also. I was clearing my headlights at the time. Kind of a PITA to remove the entire bumper to change one bulb. Good thinking Subaru.

It is on the passenger side, i'll try removing the air box like 'outahere' suggested.

Thanks for the tip!

Archived