LegacyGT.com

100% Independent Foglight Mod(NO WIRE CUTTING/SPLICING METHOD)

This mod will make your foglight become stand-alone operation.

Standard disclaimer, it's not my fault if you blow up your car with this mod. I am not responsible for anything. If you don't like this mod, don't do it.

Here goes:

So, I was installing my STi gauge pack. I figure I might as well do the foglight mod as well.

01 - Material that you need

02 - Put everything together as Shown

03 - Pull the foglight relay out

04 - Pull the fuse out

05 - Connect the wire to the relay

06 - Wire the Relay terminal 30&87

06b - Wire the Relay terminal 85 to the 7.5A fuse

07 - Remove the harness under steering column

08 - From terminal 86 of the relay, stick the wire into the harness as shown

09 - Same as above

10 - Grounding Wire

11 - Connect the ground wire to the white harness, right next to 08

12 - Tie up the relay

13 - Result

STi.jpg.24981a56e3e9149a7cfee46c3371572d.jpg

01-Materal.jpg.521bbb353872c7fd71506ee2f67af0f4.jpg

02-Assemble.jpg.6ad07f93d505e250f26db1b1ce852b0c.jpg

03-Relay.jpg.e6d62c7cd41ad06686b5c129bdc874e6.jpg

04-Fuse.jpg.d799332e405f19e2a35b4eb69d2a32b1.jpg

05-Connection.jpg.839216820b4d4b0838aed3375860ffab.jpg

357286492_06-Wiring01-3087.jpg.697cf16aab9b73ee8b82d7ae91d72215.jpg

07-Steering-column.jpg.726569b10850e4c42da44b8a268266fa.jpg

08-Wiring03-86.jpg.a927232bcc9e608bf6a1a9df55908e47.jpg

09-Wiring04-86.jpg.c7065e4824ef76a8d27b0ee38aa8c911.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would this be a possible solution to maintain DRLs through the fogs instead of the lowbeams? (I am installing Xtec HID and have been told that it is essential to dissable the DRLs in the lowbeams

would this be a possible solution to maintain DRLs through the fogs instead of the lowbeams? (I am installing Xtec HID and have been told that it is essential to dissable the DRLs in the lowbeams

I have HID and disabled DRL as well. That's why I did this mod.

I just have my foglight on all the time to act like my DRL.

Uhm, hmm, no offense, but you did all that to avoid cutting one wire? :/

None taken,

but no offence, to you, it maybe a lot of work.

To me, it is only about 10 minutes. Which I think cutting the wire will cost me more time and effort. Let alone the risk of voiding the electrical warranty. I am not about to risk it on my car. But you may do whatever you feel like to your car. Like I said, don't like this mod, don't do it.

Cutting wire method from another guy won't give you fully independent foglight. You still have to turn on the parking light.

The way I do can make my foglight become 100% stand-alone operation.

One handy way to avoid the parking light, though it involves cutting, is to jumper the hot side of the DRL relay's coil to the foglight relay (after cutting). The two relays are side by side so it is a pretty tidy mod. You just need to cut the wire going to terminal 11 on the relay holder and reconnect the relay side of that wire to terminal 27. I like this method because the fog light will turn off when I remove the key from the ignition.

Those with HIDs may also consider disabling the flash to pass function by cutting wire 8 (orange/white) on connector B71 (inside steering column). The stock wiring turns on the low beams and high beams when you select flash to pass. Just be warned that without an extra relay or a modification to the DRL controller, you will lose the flash to pass function when your lows are not on. To get the flash to pass function back (hi-beams only) you need to add a relay to pull down lead 3 on connector B96.

One handy way to avoid the parking light, though it involves cutting, is to jumper the hot side of the DRL relay's coil to the foglight relay (after cutting). The two relays are side by side so it is a pretty tidy mod. You just need to cut the wire going to terminal 11 on the relay holder and reconnect the relay side of that wire to terminal 27. I like this method because the fog light will turn off when I remove the key from the ignition.

Those with HIDs may also consider disabling the flash to pass function by cutting wire 8 (orange/white) on connector B71 (inside steering column). The stock wiring turns on the low beams and high beams when you select flash to pass. Just be warned that without an extra relay or a modification to the DRL controller, you will lose the flash to pass function when your lows are not on. To get the flash to pass function back (hi-beams only) you need to add a relay to pull down lead 3 on connector B96.

Very interesting, but all these letters and numbers are some kind of chinese to me...

Pictures???

I would like to use my fogs as DRL without having to turn them on.

I would also like to keep my flash to pass function.

Is it possible with your mod?

Very interesting, but all these letters and numbers are some kind of chinese to me...

Pictures???

I would like to use my fogs as DRL without having to turn them on.

I would also like to keep my flash to pass function.

Is it possible with your mod?

I'll post the pics on the weekend. The mod is similar to the other one in circulation except that the cut wire is routed to the bottom most wire on the relay to the right of the fog relay.

I'll post the pics on the weekend. The mod is similar to the other one in circulation except that the cut wire is routed to the bottom most wire on the relay to the right of the fog relay.

Thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the foglight will turn off when you shutdown the engine. ACC position.

Not necessary to pull the key out. You can still listen to the radio and stuff without worrying about the foglight draining down the battery.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing this mod today, and am not quite sure of the grounding wires.

This picture below is a bit blurry, but it looks like you've got 2 ground wires - one from the relay into some spot in this connector, and a 2nd from the connector to the grounding point?

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18767&d=1148259162

Do you need to remove any of the steering column plastic bits to gain access to the harness?

Yes, you have to remove the lower plastic cover of the steering column.

Refer to the vacation pic for detail.

IIRC, it is only 1 screw and lower the adjustment handle, yank it right out.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived