LegacyGT.com

Oh crap, throwing codes

dbrunone

OK so, this morning was damn cold (-10 degrees). I'm driving around, and after a 1/2 throttle acceleration in 5th, I get the ol' check engine light. Plug in the AP, code is "system too lean." It's idling a little rough, but it always does that when it's less that 0 degrees, with no code. So it seems to be running fine otherwise, and I do a 1/2 throttle pull in 1st gear, and these other codes show up:

Cylinder 1 misfire

Cylinder 3 misfire

Cylinder 4 misfire

PFFM (or something similar...I dont know what that means)

I logged some of this with my AP. One log just driving, one doing that 1st gear pull that made the misfires show up, and one rough-idling. AFR of 20 while idling seems high. Could this be just from my fuel being too damn cold to evaporate in the cylinder? Check out the attached logs....

-David

EDIT: Running stg2+TMIC, with a dyno-tuned map by Jon from TDC. I was thinking of going to MSPT sometime to get it re-tuned, since ppl have had problems with TDC tunes....

idling rough.pdf

1st gear.pdf

just driving.pdf

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the same problem with my 07 LGT 5MT. I've had this with the stock map and at Stage 1. I cleaned the MAF sensor and that seemed to help, but the problem is still there.

I'll be curious to see what you find. Mine goes in the shop next week to see if the dealer can diagnose.

Ha same problems (2 hrs up the way from you), had to have the car flat bedded to my Subaru dealer last friday due to the codes, misfires and stalling out at speed (if coasting in neutral or delay shifting between gears without proper blipping) and when at a stop. They replaced the MAF, cleared the codes and the car was good to go......

until yesterday, below 20 again, horrible stumble and misfire, then threw the P0171 (Fuel trim malfunction), and Cyl 1, 2 & 4 misfire codes and was thankfully able to limp home in the -12 degree weather at 2am last night. Flatbedded again to my Subaru dealer, with a nice 1 page typed letter explaining how I almost had to ditch the car sideways into a guard rail to avoid hitting the concrete wall of the bridge headon (thankfully I was semi ready when the car stalled out at 50 downshifting from 6th to 5th to arm-strong it through the bend after it cut power)

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure it out. Im stock with regards to the ECU (only true "power" mod is my CBE, which definitely is not causing this prob) so I'm really starting to wonder where the true problem lies, my guess for now is between the ECU, Fuel Pump, Injectors and the IACV since my MAF has already been replaced

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Interesting on the IACV... This problem seemed to originate after I had the Subaru dealer do a coolant change and install a block heater. The IACV is part of the coolant system. I wonder if there could be an air bubble or something messing with the IACV.

Car's at the dealer still. Their Master Tech is working with it and they are working with the SOA head office, however now that its warmed up a bit, the car isnt doing it, so they're going to try to get it to do it early tomorrow morning when its cold(er).

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I think I'll probably have the same problem with mine in that it will be too warm when they have it over the weekend and on monday. It's supposed to be in the 20s. I'm going to give them a list of the codes it threw and see if they can do anything with them.

Had this happen also, but i just had the "running lean code" but then again it was -30 with windchill that day, rough as idle too. so i just cleared the code b/c i figured if it comes up again there is something wronge. I was just hopeing it was from the cold

Car's at the dealer still. Their Master Tech is working with it and they are working with the SOA head office, however now that its warmed up a bit, the car isnt doing it, so they're going to try to get it to do it early tomorrow morning when its cold(er).

My guess is they'll end up saying "We don't know, it's probably an ECU issue but Subaru has to fix that, we can't do anything about it"

My guess is they'll end up saying "We don't know, it's probably an ECU issue but Subaru has to fix that, we can't do anything about it"
Still not cold enough when they get in, so I authorized them to allow the Master Tech to take it home tonight so he can try when its freezing at night.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I took mine in today and dropped it off for them to look at. I mentioned it idled very rough when it was cold out and that the check engine light came on. I told them I pulled the code and before I told them what it was they said it must be a missfire on cylinder 1. They said they had a car in earlier that week with the same problem and "the problem should be pretty easy to fix". We'll see. I'm going to push them HARD because they gave me a PT Cruiser for a loaner car and I don't want to be in that any longer than I have to.

:lol: They still have my car, it was pretty frigid this weekend, so hopefully they were able to replicate the problem. They have contacted the NE district rep and he is going through similar cases and reports to try to get some insight on this problem. They're going to call me and give me an update tomorrow. If it didnt throw the codes, I'll probably bring it home and wait a week. I'm gonna be overseas starting next weekend for a little over a week so I'll leave it with them again to try to get it to f-up

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I took the POS PT Cruiser back today. I couldn't take it anymore. The transmission was slipping in second causing the whole car to shake to the point my GPS fell off the windshield and the 19 MPG it got annoyed the hell out of me. They are still investigating the cause the the "lean bank 1". They have another car in on Thursday with the same problem and are working with the SOA regional rep to see what's going on.

Well I picked the car back up today since this week isnt going to bee that cold. The regional rep is still on it and he had them dump 3 things of dry gas in. I'm going to drop it off again Saturday before I go to Taiwan in hopes it will repeat again. I'm getting a little concerned about this issue though since everyday I keep seeing more people post the issue

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived