LegacyGT.com

Throw-out bearing chirping 30 miles after brand new install?

Funkyman831

Title says it all really... I pulled the transmission due to a failed throw-out bearing (it seperated completely and ball bearings fell out everywhere), and now I am having a VERY similar problem as before!!! First things first. I bought and installed:

- ACT Lightweight flywheel

- Exedy OEM clutch (sorry im broke as a joke)

- TSK-3 Kit.

Took the car out around the block and it died a few times after pressing in the clutch pedal... no biggie the ECU hadn't learned the 10 lbs or so lighter flywheel (not an issue anymore). I did notice that the pedal was INCREDIBLY light. It probably took half the effort to press the pedal in than the previous setup. (Kind of getting stiffer). I drove roughly 20 miles home cruise controlled all the way. I have taken it very easy on the clutch. I noticed that there is now a chirping coming from the tranny. It goes away once you press on the pedal slightly. This is exactly what happened with the old TOB except the sound was a little different. Also, the pedal is a little "rough" when you start pushing it in and the sounds stops right after it starts to smooth out pedal wise. Is there any way it's possible that the bearing could be going bad after 30 miles? What the hell is going on? Is there any way it could be a problem with the clutch fork?

Does it sound like a bird is stuck in the trans and is just chirping its ass off? If so, it could be a common issue with our clutch setup. Look up adding a return spring here on the forums as it has added details and a solution. There's a walkthrough on making and installing one.

Return spring huh? I don't understand why it would need a return spring if it was attached two different way to the fork? It's not loud but it sounds like crickets are following me.

EDIT: Okay so it looks like I am going to set myself up for a return spring project, as well as lubing up the pivot ball the clutc fork works on. *HOPEFULLY* This will remedy the issue.

Okay so I tried messing with the clutch pedal distance changer ma-bob thing above the gas pedal to no avail. While it takes MUCH LESS travel to engage the clutch, it still is giving me the rattles. I think next will be a lubrication of the fork. I am honestly getting worried... And there is no way in hell I am dropping that transmission any time soon.

I'm in the same boat. Competition clutch stage 2 kit and their supplied bearing and it started squeaking within one hundred miles after I did it. Put the slightest amount of pressure on the clutch pedal and it stops. Annoying as hell.

I used the TSK-3 bearing and it did it after 30 miles... I am just so confused as to why. I mean I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. It goes behind the fork and the clip goes behind it too. Even without the clip, it shouldn't be making noise this soon... My last chance is a return spring.

• 3 months later...
I am having this same chirping/squeal sound immediately after new clutch install. I installed fx350 with stock flywheel and used the TOB that came with the clutch. The noise occurs when the clutch pedal is out and goes away with little bit of pressure applied to the clutch. I will take a look at the spring fix. Did it work for you guys?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived