LegacyGT.com

TSB: Torque Converter for AT Transmissions

BigInALegacy

Thanks to Rizzo for providing the info:

Tech bulletin 16-74-09.. seems to be a wider spread problem than I first thought with other Subie models involved. All done on my car and seems to be running great, so far.

5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration. Bulletin Description: If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.

I had been experiencing the shudder / vibration / hesitation under light acceleration. Brought the car into the dealership yesterday, today they called and said it's the torque converter... then I found Rizzo's thread mentioning the TSB.

Waiting for parts to come in next week, car's going back Tues to have it replaced. I'll update this thread too, but I thought others should know and there should be a thread especially for it.

My car is a 2008 LGT 5EAT with 45k on her.

This only affects Auto transmissions, but from what I understand, it is not specific to the Legacy model.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not entirely sure... the 2 cases I've seen are mine and Rizzo's, which are 08 2.5 GT and 09 3.0R respectively.

I can't find anything on it on Google either, nor did my dealer mention the TSB, just that mine needed to be replaced.

If anyone has more information on the actual TSB or experiences with it firsthand, do chime in.

Not a recall, rather a Technical Service Bulletin

From my understanding, it's more something distributed to the Subaru techs for a "known problem" to give them notice of things to check for when certain symptoms are present.

So since I was complaining about hesitation under light acceleration, that was consistent with what was in this TSB, which led them to seeing my Torque Convertor needed replacement.

Hope that's correct, someone put my foot in my mouth if not. ;)

Got my ride from the dealer... torque converter would've been about $650 for just the parts had it not been covered under the powertrain warranty... :eek: :eek:

Those people who are approaching the end of their warranty may want to have this checked out if you think you might have the issue.

They shouldn't check unless you'e given them a reason like a sloppy RTV bond on the tranny pan.

I thought mine was the infamous "turbo stutter" that has been around for years.But it has been an isssue since day one....regardless of the mods.Always in 3-4 gear,then off of the accelerator and then back on it slighty feathering the pedal and then coasting.Then it will quietly feel like a load on the engine...almost like weight has been added to the car.

I have the factory extended warranty.So,when I take it in to fix the broken SI knob and leaking P/S rack,I hope this can be take care of then.But first I will need to remoe the AT cooler,pulley and AP tune.

@ above 2: I'll let you know on Friday after they swap it out

Here's the assessment I gave to the service techs because they asked me to write a diagnosis before dropping it off:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been noticing a hesitation in the vehicle similar to what a manual vehicle would exhibit if you were driving in too high of a gear. The car will hesitate as if it is not getting enough fuel/getting too much air. If I don’t correct it myself and just try to drive, the car will actually start to shake a little bit. This usually happens when I’m toward the lower end of a gear, and trying to keep speed or gradually increase speed. It is progressively worse when there is a load on the engine (ie: going uphill, or any extra load)

For example: driving on a road with a 45MPH speed limit, if I slow to about 43MPH or a little below, and try to give a little gas to keep at 45MPH, the car will exhibit the hesitation. If I downshift the car with the paddle shifters, or significantly press the gas causing a surge, and more acceleration than I want, than it will “correct” itself. It is more intermittent at lower speeds (under 50mph), but I’d say happens usually once or twice on the average drive at that speed range.

Example 2: it ALWAYS happens under this scenario, never fails. On the highway, anywhere from the low 60’s (62-65MPH) up to 70MPH, with the car in 5th gear and trying to keep speed at about 70MPH. Any subtle acceleration at this speed, especially under load, will cause the car to exhibit the hesitation. This is definitely when it’s the worst/most prevalent, and it almost always requires that I manually shift the car to compensate.

It will exhibit the behavior whether in Drive or Sport-Shift mode, although I can manipulate it to do it more/less with sport-shift. (I can duplicate the issue more easily being able to control the gears, as well as compensate to prevent it more easily). It happens in all 3 driving modes (I, S, & S#) but I’d say if you were going to test it, use I-mode as it’s probably easier to duplicate in that mode, even though I’m almost exclusively in S or S# when driving.

Based on what I’ve noticed, these would be your best test scenarios (all in I or S mode):

1)60-65MPH, 5th gear trying to keep speed at 70MPH,

2)40-45MPH, 4th or 5th gear, slowly picking up acceleration trying to keep at 50MPH

3)25-30MPH, 3rd or 4th gear, slowly picking up acceleration, trying to keep 35MPH

Also, just driving around in I or S mode in DRIVE should exhibit the behavior on the average drive. If not, I can certainly get the vehicle to replicate the hesitation.

This only affects Auto transmissions, but from what I understand, it is not specific to the Legacy model.

That is correct.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Any other insight on this TSB blackfang? Dropping my car off today after work, picking her back up this AM.

So far we have dealt with one vehicle, outback. That got a new converter and no further problems. The complaint was some vibration during slight acceleration with little load. I was on vacation when that came in, but remember the customer setting the appt up.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

So they're keeping my car for the weekend I guess...

My impression leaving there was that it was gonna be overnight, but they told me to plan on Monday after work when I called today. I dropped the car off Friday at 4:00PM... should it really take until Monday at 4:00PM to install a new torque converter?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Archived