LegacyGT.com

whistling coming from tranny

gregrock1989

So I've got a 5 speed Non-Turbo 03 legacy l wagon with 160000km. When I accelerate or when im driving in general I'm hearing a whistling sound. When I shift into neutral while moving it goes away. I haven't noticed it while the car idols. I also haven't noticed any loss in power nor am I having issues shifting, the noise is pretty loud though.

The whistling sounds pretty much like a Turbo without a blow off.

Anyone have this problem before? How can it be fixed? My cars only Bee:)n doing this for aweek or two. Thanks in advance.

When was the fluid last changed ?

Sounds like a bearing issue.

What fluid do you use ?

PM BAC5.2 he's the expert on tranny's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

what kinda fluid are you referring to? oil every 5000 km, im due for a change soon, brakes were done less than a year ago.

Im starting to think its not a transmission problem, I got my buddy to rev the engine while I stood beside it with the hood open, and the sound is definately coming from the engine bay. Plus the noise gets louder the higher the RPM is.

My dad suggested its the power steering pump, thats starting to make the most sence at this point. Any opinion on this?

Archived