LegacyGT.com

Legacy 0, RE 92 1.. another LGT down :/

This is my best friends car. It's an 06 LTD GT with NAV. He was going around a left hand corner and the rear gave out. Once the rear released, it swung out and hit a tree on the bank then throwing the car back in the other direction only to go nose first back into the bank. We related the accident to a slippery road, crappy RE 92's and driver error.. There we many other cars going the same speed around the same corner and none had issues like this. Most of all, he is fine. The car has major passanger side damage, broken back passanger window and the front has some damage as well.

The last pic shows the bank and tree where the car impacted. The reason for all the mud was that there was a swampy/stream it ran through. (shown in last pic)

chriscar1.jpg.cc1272f9dedbd1a4c8e466431c2a922a.jpg

chriscar2.jpg.bc0b8a369d7b2e785320d4bff0d0c90a.jpg

chriscar3.jpg.ad7dfc48889ce22e3136203639aaae1d.jpg

chriscar4.jpg.6babea374711c97b788dfbcbc9258dbe.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is straight up bull. The RE92A are certainly not the grippiest tires on the market, but they do their job just fine. To call them unsafe and poorly made is a huge misrepresentation. Is the RE92 hater club so myopic to believe that their target hell spawn is the cause of all accidents?

I've driven cars with far lesser handling abilities and even crappier el cheapo generic all season tires and somehow I managed to keep the car on the road. To my mind, a single vehicle crash is always driver error unless we are talking about something like black ice.

http://freon.shackspace.com/misc/re92.jpg

Not to be insensitive, but I love how it's always the car or the tires fault when someone crashes. Still glad that the driver came out fine, but let's take a little personal responsibility here.

See i would normally agree with you but, in this case, there was a nissan 240 ahead of him and some other nissan rag behind him that did fine. So i guess you are right, a POS 240 can outhandle a awd suby.

Anyway, He admits he may have going a little too fast but, he never expected that car to end up off the road.

Plus, i am not a RE hater. I wore those things slam out on my GT. I got 22k out of them and just recently replaced them. The intention of this thread was not to debate on the tires. It was to post up the incident. And, as stated above, he admited he may have been going too fast.

Can you say lift throttle oversteer?

AWD cars tend to understeer unless you provoke it to oversteer. If he went in nose first, then yes he ran out of traction. But for the tail to slide out first, well, he ran out of talent.

The fact that a couple cars went around the same bend fine is inconsequential. If the LGT driver was going a bit too fast and the car started to slip a little maybe he hopped out of the throttle abruptly and/or braked. That takes weight off the rear tires and if there is a bit of yaw going already, then off you go. That is just vehicle dynamics. You either go slower and drive within the limits of the car, or you know how to react if you are a bit beyond the limits of adhesion. For better and for worse the LGT does display some lift throttle oversteer. It's nice if you know how to manage it, but in some hands it can make the car a handful. We aren't talking old Porsche 911 lift throttle oversteer, but the LGT is ocassionaly a bit tail happy.

Now, i agree with this statement ^ more than the above claims. It seems as if the overall idea here is that he entered to fast, used the brake lifting the rear and around it came. I would think that this was mostly a driver error with mabyee a small amount of traction issues.

Today I went around my favorite onramp (possibly a little slick with our first rain in a month) a little too fast and felt the rear start to come loose. Luckily, I have experienced the Subie 'happy butt' feeling before so I slowly eased up on the gas and straightened out. The 07s come with Yoko Advans, which I would say are better than RE-92s, so it was definitely all me. I'm sorry it had to end with a tree for your friend. I was glad I wasn't going any faster.

Repeat after me "Slow in, fast out".

Slow in, fast out is always faster around a corner than fast in and slow out or fast in and crash.

Preach on brotha. I find it sad that people won't go pay $20 to autocross and learn the limits of their car in a controlled environment.

Not to be insensitive, but I love how everyone always assumes that the poorly made tires that have been documented by people on this site and many others as unsafe in certain situations have nothing to do with it, and its all due to driver error or driving beyond the limit :rolleyes:

Seeing as they so well documented as being poorly made tyres, why do people still drive on them as if they were good ones, then complain when they lose it ?

Drive within the limits of your capability and your tyres :icon_wink

See i would normally agree with you but, in this case, there was a nissan 240 ahead of him and some other nissan rag behind him that did fine. So i guess you are right, a POS 240 can outhandle a awd suby.

How is that relevant? The only real issue in my mind is that the driver out drove the tires on his car. Did he not know what tires he was driving on? Did he have no clue where the limits of his tires are?

You might as well say a Jeep Commander has a bad suspension because it went off the road in the same corner a Miata whipped around with no drama. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Learn the limits of your tires and drive within them. If you aren't happy with those limits, buy new tires. Don't blame the tires for your poor choices.

puleeeze :rolleyes:. Just because you are more hostile and refuse to accept reason doesn't make you the "winner" :icon_wink:lol:

The whole point is it doens't matter how crappy you, or some people who drink the Kool-Aid and post on Tirerack think the RE92 are. It is that the OP's buddy who crashed his car admitting that he was going too fast and lost control. Who's fault is that? The car? The tires? Nawwwww.... couldn't be the driver.:rolleyes:

Not to be insensitive, but I love how everyone always assumes that the poorly made tires that have been documented by people on this site and many others as unsafe in certain situations have nothing to do with it, and its all due to driver error or driving beyond the limit :rolleyes:

Ah, the depth of your logic is breathtaking.

If we take your post at face value, then:

1. Original equipment tires are poorly made and unsafe in certain situations.

2. This is a well documented fact.

3. In other words, the tires are shit and everyone knows it.

Therefore, the driver of the Subaru in question crashed his car with full knowledge the tires are crap and dangerous.

IN OTHER WORDS, THE ACCIDENT WAS THE DRIVER'S FAULT. PERIOD.

By the way, if the OE tires are crap and responsible for accidents, where are the class action lawsuits? This is AMERICA, you can find a lawyer to sue anybody for anything. Why, oh why won't some barrister take up the fight and make a few hundred million dollars?

The mere fact that some ambulance-chasing attorney won't take up the case knowing he could put in front of the O.J. Simpson jury in Los Angeles and STILL LOSE speaks volumes.

Could it be because these so called RE92 induced crashes involving single vehicles driven by young inexperienced drivers in bad weather? Nah, that can't be it.

Hey, why doesn't the OP's buddy tell his insurance company not to charge the accident to him? Yeah, the insurance company should collect from Bridgestone!

puleeeze :rolleyes:. Just because you are more hostile and refuse to accept reason doesn't make you the "winner" :icon_wink:lol:

The whole point is it doens't matter how crappy you, or some people who drink the Kool-Aid and post on Tirerack think the RE92 are. It is that the OP's buddy who crashed his car admitting that he was going too fast and lost control. Who's fault is that? The car? The tires? Nawwwww.... couldn't be the driver.:rolleyes:

OUCH!:lol:

As I said before, I wouldn't buy RE92's as replacements, but they are no where near as bad as some people would like you to believe.

Just yesterday I was talking to Jon from TDC and he was telling how he was motoring through snow and ice on his RE92's while others cars were pulled over. Yup, sounds like RE92 are blocks of ice infused with Teflon and coated in grease... :rolleyes:

RE92s are not high performance tires, but they handle just fine if youre not driving like an ass. Sorry i've driven on RE92s in two different imprezas just fine in rain, snow and ice but whats more important was i wasnt driving like i had ultra high performance grip tires and i stayed out of trouble.

Bottom line, the tires alone are not solely to blame, thats like blaming the turbo for spooling up at 12 mph like some famous mocked board member.

Ed

^^^ :confused:

What the F are you talking about?

Actually, I was in a situation that almost cost my life, my wife's and my mothers.

Im sorry to hear you were in that situation and im glad everyone is ok, but it doesnt change the fact that far too many ppl on the subaru boards pin their accidents solely on tires and do not take any responsibility as far as their own driving is concerned. Your case might be in the extreme minority since i believe you wouldnt drive in a fashion to endanger your own family.

but i can't say the same for a lot of the stupid kids who blame their tires.

I agree the tires are pretty bad, but ppl do not crash their cars driving them in a normal fashion, at least thats my personal experience and my peers that i know in person.

Ed

there is like a battle between u two ...i notice in 2 threads..but i agree with Heightsgtltd....WTF are you talkin about???? thats the point of a forum to help listen give opinions and all he was sayin is he hopes some of us dont have to deal with the same situation others have been thru...sorry if im butting in just my 2cents..

Heightsgtltd glad that your family and you are ok

thats all from toshiba2.5 see you later!

Archived