LegacyGT.com

Son of a.....

jdanhires

My LGT had a high speed vibration, much like a out of balance tire. So, I dropped it off at the dealer to have the tires balanced. I just got a call from the service manager, and it turns out I have two bent rims. On a car with 3K miles. The SM says he can't replace the rims under warranty since the damage could have been caused by a pothole, a stiff wind or a steel plate.

So, what do I do? Get two more OEM rims (hopefully used from the classifieds) or go after market?

I've been driving for 16 years and have never, ever had a bent rim. Let alone two on the same car.

John

Yes, I too have experienced the bent rim. I couldn't remeber hitting a single thing. Ended up going with a wheel taken off a new Legacy at the dealership. Wheel and tire $200. I think that I have a front wheel problem now. It is not quite as smooth as it should be. I was told it is due to the low profile tires which is BS. My Mini Cooper S has the low profile and no problems. I am thinking that I will look into aftermarket if I have any other rim problems

Well the stiff wind was my attempt at humor. The SM actually said the steel plates they put on the roadway could bend the rims. WTF?

So, Subaru is sending the district rep out to look at the car and (possibly) authorize a warranty replacement. I'm not holding my breath, though.

With the crappy RE92s, and the possibility of more bent rims in the future, I'm strongly considering aftermarket rims. Talked to Subydude about the Rota's and the price isn't too bad. Tires.com has a MBMotoring rim with tire combo for $800. Anyone know anything about those rims?

John

FWIW, the Prodrive P1's are about as 'bombproof' as they come. They will run you about 40% more than the Rota's (but still cheaper than OEM from the dealer) and have a nicer finish and more of a factory fit (53mm offset vs. 48mm).

I spoke to some fellow Cinci Area Subbie owners and they told me that the dealer I took the car to is notorious for not balancing tire/wheels properly and blaming it on a bent rim. Looks like I'll be stopping by Tire Discounters sometime this week and see what they say.

You know, the reason I bought a new car was so I wouldn't need to deal with this crap.

John

As soon as you drive it off the lot, it's a really expensive "used" car.

-Allen

Truer words have never been spoken.

I just picked the LGT up from the dealership, and the SM gave me crap about calling SOA. He said I should expect aluminum rims with a low-profile tire to get beat up pretty easily. I said I would expect a car to be able to driven with no fear of damaging a rim, especially a Subaru since they advertise it as a 'go-anywhere' car. Jeebus, it's not like I was curb hoping the damn thing. Also, it turns out the DM won't be in town until the end of March. I get to drive with two bent rims until then.

Screw it. I'm getting some Rota's.

John

FWIW, the Prodrive P1's are about as 'bombproof' as they come. They will run you about 40% more than the Rota's (but still cheaper than OEM from the dealer) and have a nicer finish and more of a factory fit (53mm offset vs. 48mm).

Agreed.

But, the Rotas are 7.5" making them a better width for a 225 / 45 / 17 tire if you want to go a bit wider rubber. The Rotas work fine with a 215 as well if you want to stay stock size. I have used both tire widths on Rotas on a WRX and the Legacy (use them as my winter wheels). I use the stock wheels for summer.

BTW, I'm so cheap I bought used Rotas.:)

Tom

Archived