LegacyGT.com

Bang When Shifting Hard

If I drive like a sane person, there is no problem. The other day when I was coming home, I slammed my gear from 1st to 2nd Pulling on the highway. There was a banging sound coming from the back of my car. Almost like a bowling ball slid around in my trunk, however the only thing in my trunk is a duffle bag with a blanket in it. I'm thinking it's a worn bushing somewhere.

Where should I start looking?

All of the factory drivetrain mounts are bubble gum soft and allow the engine, trans, and rear diff flop around.

You would probably want to start with the 4 diff bushings and the trans mount. There are 2 that are in the cradle below and towards the front of the rear diff that are fairly simple to replace. There are 2 more on the back of the top of the diff that are a pita to replace on the vehicle and an even bigger pita if you do it the "right way" by removing the entire rear subframe to press them out/in. For the rear bushings, Whiteline makes a set of inserts that fill the gaps in the factory bushings. Mixed reviews on those.

Replacing any of the drivetrain bushings(trans mount, motor mount, diff bushings, etc.) will increase the noise vibration and harshness, though so keep that in mind.

Fwiw the group n trans mount is like $40 and takes most* of the slop away. Definitely more trans noise in the cabin but who cares because racecar.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I too had the shifting clunks on hard shifts (5EAT). I replaced my leaking front rear diff craddle bushings with the solid Whiteline KDT905. For good measure, I also did the rear diff rear inserts KDT927.

My rear diff no longer bounces around :)

I also have the Railtek "comfort bushing" in the transmission mount that I believe is no longer available. But, it ends up being similar to the Group N mount.

Fwiw the group n trans mount is like $40 and takes most* of the slop away. Definitely more trans noise in the cabin but who cares because racecar.

Wish I would have seen it for $40! I paid $70 through Fred Beans...

For me, the Group N trans mount got rid of a lot of the slop, but made the shifting clunk more noticeable. Any time you remove a weak link, it just moves down the system to the next weak link. Sometimes making it worse.

Archived