LegacyGT.com

Installed my IPT Vb today

Rick

I installed this today and I honestly can't say I'm noticing much of a difference in shifting firmness like I thought I would. Do I need to reflash the ecu, or does it get better after a break in period?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive been contemplating getting this for my car so if you dont like it and ever wanna sell it let me know.

You'll be the first to know. I would really like to trade someone with a 5mt wagon.

Per IPT, it takes about 200 miles for the VB to properly settle in. When I do mine, I plan on going to the dealer and resetting the TCU.

Get on it, you'll see the difference in shifting at WOT. Were you expecting the car to bang gears like it's prom night? I think a lot of people do and they get disappointed when that does not happen. I don't think IPT mods the accumulators at that rate.

Per IPT, it takes about 200 miles for the VB to properly settle in. When I do mine, I plan on going to the dealer and resetting the TCU.

Get on it, you'll see the difference in shifting at WOT. Were you expecting the car to bang gears like it's prom night? I think a lot of people do and they get disappointed when that does not happen. I don't think IPT mods the accumulators at that rate.

Yes I was kind of hoping it would, "bang gears like it's prom night". LOL, it does shift a little quicker, hopefully its gets better after a couple hundred miles. I think I just really miss my old 5mt.

^ I hear ya. Sometimes I have to hold myself back because I realize I set my expectations for the automatic to feel and behave like a MT minus the clutch.

Please come back with impressions, I am set to have my VB done in May-June or sometime then. I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

And again, the shifting should be really evident when you are at WOT.

i know they are 2 different beasts but when i had my maxima vb done if i didnt get on it, it would shift ridiculously hard. at wot it would shift almost instantly. i loved it but the normal day drive ability was horrible. im glad to hear the 5eat vb is more suited to daily driving. now i need to find a spare vb to mod

^let us know when you chip a gear, throw-out bearing rips the transmission apart or the clutch fails ;) All trannies have their own quirks. The 5EAT isn't cheap to mod, that's for sure. I can't wait to get mine done.

sschmelke, was your Maxima modded by IPT? I think each company is different, it kinda depends on what hardware mods they choose to go with, for example the spring rate of the accumulators makes a difference in shifting feel.

AKLGT, so a full IPT rebuild is even quicker than just the VB? Interesting.

from what I understand and what others have said, yes. You should ask SeeeeYa as I believe he mentioned it was very very quick.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

^let us know when you chip a gear, throw-out bearing rips the transmission apart or the clutch fails ;) All trannies have their own quirks. The 5EAT isn't cheap to mod, that's for sure. I can't wait to get mine done.

sschmelke, was your Maxima modded by IPT? I think each company is different, it kinda depends on what hardware mods they choose to go with, for example the spring rate of the accumulators makes a difference in shifting feel.

I don't think I drive the car hard enough to chip a gear, and the car will only see a few trips down the drag strip this spring. I would like to know what kind of times it can run. I'm sure the full IPT rebuild is worth every penny, but I think by the time that would even be an option I will probably trade for a spec-b.

^ I hear ya. Sometimes I have to hold myself back because I realize I set my expectations for the automatic to feel and behave like a MT minus the clutch.

Please come back with impressions, I am set to have my VB done in May-June or sometime then. I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

And again, the shifting should be really evident when you are at WOT.

My impression so far is that if your going to keep your car for a while go ahead and get the Vb done, just don't expect it to shift hard like a shift kit on a mustang or TA. If your doing it because you really wish you had a 5mt, sell your stg 2 and trade the car in for the one you want.

Rick, do you have a stiff transmission mount? I recommend you first try the RalliteK street version (blue) and if you're still not happy, go with the race version (it will be STIFF). A stiff mount is a good idea for longevity anyway because it prevents the tranny from flopping around and keeps it alligned with the crankshaft. A "nice" effect will also be the transfer of some engine noise and vibration in the passenger cabin, not bad with the street version. It will really put you in touch with the transmission and you'll feel what it's doing.

I don't think I drive the car hard enough to chip a gear, and the car will only see a few trips down the drag strip this spring. I would like to know what kind of times it can run. I'm sure the full IPT rebuild is worth every penny, but I think by the time that would even be an option I will probably trade for a spec-b.

it depends what you have done on your car.

and every drag strip is different. elevation, temperature, humidity, air density, etc. Just like a dyno, it's tough to compare ET's to other strips on different days and different climates. I'm sure I could take my car to various strips and get several different times, maybe close, but probably a good amount of difference.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

'

it was done by maximum tuning in long island. they were huge on the maxima vb mod scene at the time. i recently logged on and found out they are one of the most hated vendors now. how time changes. either way i sold that car and the tranny is still going strong with 203k miles on it now.

^That just goes to show sometimes how big a difference can a "small" thing like a VB mod can do.

Level Ten has also gotten some bad press lately. It seems that if you have a JATCO unit, IPT is the only game in town. Which is damn good because they ARE damn good!

My tranny bangs into gears and it's stock.

Then again it seems to have more to do with the fact it's geared so ridiculously low and shifting into 3rd gear at 20mph (which it does at light throttle) is a terrible idea.

Rick, do you have a stiff transmission mount? I recommend you first try the RalliteK street version (blue) and if you're still not happy, go with the race version (it will be STIFF). A stiff mount is a good idea for longevity anyway because it prevents the tranny from flopping around and keeps it alligned with the crankshaft. A "nice" effect will also be the transfer of some engine noise and vibration in the passenger cabin, not bad with the street version. It will really put you in touch with the transmission and you'll feel what it's doing.

I might try that. First I think I'm going to take the car to the dealership for a tranny flush, maybe that will make a difference.

Archived