LegacyGT.com

Conversion 5x100 to 5x114.3 on 05 LGT

lfrisé

There have been a bunch of people who have wanted to go 5x114. I'm surprised no one bought a bearing to compare to a stock one.

If it really is that easy, I'd love to pick up a set of the 08+ STI BBS's.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just came across this

Originally Posted by Texy32 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Because the 2008 sti and 2005-2009 legacy have the same wheel bearing. You unbolt the legacy wheel bearing with the 5X100 pressed on and the 08 up sti wheel bearing bolts right in with the 5x114.3 already pressed in. They are $55 dollars a piece on Ebay if you look around. I already did it and it works great. remember that the 2005-09 Legacy has the same setup as 2008 up WRX and STI. STi having 5x114 and aluminum control arms. Wrx are steel. That is why legacy suspension fits on 08 up wrx.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2421769

You're wrong.

The bearing diameter is not the same.

The bolt pattern is completely different.

• 2 months later...

I looked into this briefly last year when going thru a set of bearings every track day. There is a local shop that will split the bearings and assemble them in any order. My plan was to split the legacy hub & impreza hub and match the peices so it still mount on a stock legacy with a 5x114.3 wheel. I didnt followup on the quote as the wheel option would not fit in the wheel well without custom flares or tubs.

The other option, which a few race teams have done, is custom bearings that mount up to stock legacy suspension with 5x114.3 mounting surface. This was about $2k/set when I checked.

If interested, I can look thru my notes for more info.

IMO, the "correct" solution here is to figure out the proper way to machine the LGT trailing arms so you can simply bolt in the '08+ STi rear hub/bearing assemblies. But that assumes you're also able to just bolt on STi backing plates, ABS sensors, e-brake bits, rotors, calipers, and everything just lines up. Oh, and that you're running an R180 rear-end with STi axles.

Then up front, you would just use STi knuckles/bearings/hubs and get STi lower mounts for whatever coilovers you're running, since most coilovers are available in various flavors for the WRX, LGT, or STi.

I've got a WRX with an STi motor/6MT swap I keep thinking I should part out, then steal the 6MT to swap into my OBXT. But it would be nice to be able to also swap to 5x114.3 with the 6MT, if I could do it by simply buying new STi rear hubs and machining my existing rear trailing arms instead of paying $700+ for Spec-B rear axles. You'd think a couple of hours of labor at the machine shop and new hubs wouldn't be much more than the cost of the axles, and you'd end up with the much better bearings and better wheel selection.

But I'm thinking the headache of sorting all this out isn't worth the better bearings. I'd love to see some before and after photos from Antho303T's conversion to know what sort of machine work they did on their conversion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
a few people bought parts took measurements I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried anything yet though, it sounds as though the rears are what most people are stuck on.

I run my car with 5X114.3 since 2011. I will try to take some picture of the bearing installation but I'm not sure you will find many information from.

How did u do it?

As he doesnt sell the kit and wants you to come to his shop to have the work done, I'm guessing its a real pain in the ass.

I was visting Outback Auto this morning, and we ran thru the numbers and parts it would take to do a full conversion. Approaching $2000 and still didnt have an answer for the rear bearing getting mounted on the arm.

Next step is take a used bearing down to the aircraft bearing shops in Seattle and see what they can come with. When that's insane, we'll try micro-polishing and cryo-treating them.

My bearings go bad when the grease burns up. Looking at the 3rd set in 16,000 miles.

• 3 months later...
http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1580&catid=97

i just found this interesting. maybe the rear might work, but the front probably not.

several years back, Lic Motorsports (not Megan) made a custom set of aluminum hubs for a road race car. Or it was another maker. At any rate, with the right funds, you can get a set made.

interchange on the 4th lgt hubs has been limited. And it seems like a small market.

Edited by boxkita
update for company who made the custom hubs

• 2 months later...
Bump. If anyone wants to experiment I have a set of rear trailing arms for sale. Heck I would even donate them for the cause, provided somebody tries to use them to engineer a 5x114.3 conversion solution.

I sent an email off to Megan to ask them about making a set of hubs for the Legacy.

Also, found this link (and probably the maker of the Legacy aluminum hubs) - http://www.licmotorsports.com/products/lic-motorsports-frontrear-5x100-5x1143-conversion-kit-2004-sti_lic-0420041

A chap on Nasioc has put together a parts list to convert an 04 sti to 05 sti hubs (5x100 -> 5x114.3) - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500098 . How much of this could be swapped onto the LGT, IDK.

Another Nasioc conversion thread - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777998

Making the fronts work would be easier than the rears. However, if the BRZ rear hub would bolt up to the LGT rear arm, then we have a solution?

Edited by boxkita

I believe BRZ rear suspension is derivative of Tribeca/GRB Impreza setup, so I doubt it would just bolt up.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3678&stc=1&d=1324655083

Edited by unclemat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So today I took my left front wheel bearing apart and pressed out the hub it's self why can't we find someone to just make the actual hub with the bearing race and press it back together? I've been calling a few places but haven't found a place that would machine a new hub

Stop loosing your time with the front.

You don't have to modified anything to fit. Simply use the correct parts.

The rear is to complicate to be offered by a company at a plug and play solution.

-Modified rear bearings from a 08+ STI

-Modified rear trailing arm from a 05-09 LGT

-Modified parking brake kit from a 08+ STI

-STI rear brake disc and pads

- and other custom made parts

This is why no company want to offer a 5X114.3 conversion. It will cost more than 2k$ just in parts.

Okay just another thought if I have 4 metal rings made that I would press on around the out side of the original hub then have it welled and drilled for set screws which would give it more material to be able to just drill 5x114.3 into the existing hub I have a buddy that can weld anything and I've never seen his welds break or crack!

Okay just another thought if I have 4 metal rings made that I would press on around the out side of the original hub then have it welled and drilled for set screws which would give it more material to be able to just drill 5x114.3 into the existing hub I have a buddy that can weld anything and I've never seen his welds break or crack!

Are you willing to bet your life on that? 'Cause that's what you'll be doing.