LegacyGT.com

Coolant all in the overflow tank

hey guys i have a 97 gt and it has 117k on it. i had recently noticed that when parking my car there would be coolant on the ground the next morning. then today i was running the engine pretty hard and the temp needle started rising rapidly so i pulled over and turn the car off immediatly. i looked under the hood and the overflow tank was full. I know that this is a usual symptom of a blown head gasket but they were just replaced at 100k miles. so what else could be causing that? where or how should i start trouble shooting? thanks in advanced

a little more info. i did a visual check on the radiator cap and it looked fine(but i know that it still could be faulty) and checked the level in the radiator. is it supposed to be completely full to the top? cause it was about 2 or 3 inches from the lip of the spout. i ran the car until it was at normal running temp(just about half way on the temp gauge) and didn't see any bubbling in the overflow tank and the coolant was at the correct level in the tank.

• 4 weeks later...
I remember reading a TSB about the legacy having issues pulling in crap from the bottom of the coolant reservoir and jamming up the cap pressure valve in the process. This would cause the coolant reservoir to constantly over flow because the system will not hold pressure. Clean out your holding tank and start with a cap. If the system still leaks have it pressure tested.

oh yeah it was a ton of work, about 15 hours total labor and $500 in parts and machine shop charges. and diagnosing it was any fun either, i replaced the thermostat twice and the radiatior cap twice and pressure tested the system prolly 6 times lol. i wanted to be CERTAIN that the head gaskets were the problem. but im glad its all done with now though. but my rear diff is making horrible noises so thats my next problem to tackle...ill probably just put a used lsd in. Oh well, its worth it, i love my car.

Archived