LegacyGT.com

Thinking about a 2005 LGT ($4500?)

arlia101

So my 1999 2.5 just started bubbling its coolant this weekend (headgasket critical, I believe), and that plus wanting to fix the A/C and sunroof has me debating how much money to put in vs how long to keep my current friend, and in the meantime dreaming through other Subie listings.

I've found this on the local 'List:

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT turbo charged 5 speed

All power options

Car has recently had timing belt replaced

The head gaskets have been done

The Turbo has been replaced

All belts have been replaced

Very well maintained

Everything has been done within the last year

This past winter my wife slid into the back of another car and the car has light front damage ie. The grill and bumper. See the pic

This does not affect any driving functions. The hood and lights all work.

I was going to repair it but wife got insurance and decided she wanted a new car.

Car still drives really nice, the clutch is great and from the pictures you can tell the damage is not much.

I could fix and sell for a lot more but I have no time.

The car has 199,000 miles. Don't be fooled by the mileage the car as had a ot of work done. My wife is a teacher and the car is all highway miles

I have looked on CL at what 2002 GTs are going for and feel my asking price of $4500 is extremely fair.

There is some wiggle room to negotiate but please dont low ball me I know what the car is and what it is worth. Kelly Blue Book has it for around $7000

If you are looking for this type of car you know what it is worth.

Now, I "know" how to drive manual - that is, a couple hours in a parking lot ... a long way from learning it as DD; it would also be my first 200+ HP car. But I think this body style is the best of all! And I'm not against modding it out in the future, but for now work keeps me too busy to have more than a day's downtime... so plain old highway cruising for now.

I've looked through other posts here, and have seen cautions about high-mileage turbos, plus the usual fluids, headgaskets, timing belts, etc for a used purchase. And at this price I'd be extra cautious: get it inspected independently, ask for papers about the repairs (espc. gaskets, turbo, belt). I wouldn't even consider this mileage with a turbo except for all replacements being listed so recent. And I figure the engine cover's either a sign the previous owner didn't give it a second thought (unlikely given its maturity, I hope) or better that it's just been babied.

But what say you?? If it's the real deal, or slightly off from it... crazy for a first manual? No way to pass it up?

Advice and opinion both appreciated :)

2005sublgt.jpg.2a3fed7eae22fe827893de6e96aae4f8.jpg

What's your budget? Seen a few up in ma that are priced slightly higher, but no damage like that... I put mine up for sale, but I'm asking a high price. I saw a few, and condition wasn't spectacular hence I priced mine high. A lot of 00 -04 subies still go for around 4k.

Yeah it looks a little banged up. It has had the timing and the turbo done but with 200k mile the other stuff has to be close to clapped out. He'll probably sell it for that but ur better off buying one with fewer miles, not spending a bunch on it, then selling it for that.

I have a 2005 gt with 92k new tires, turbo, and it looks mint. I am thinking of selling it with my cobb access port for 9 or 10, I don't know really what to ask or if i will sell it, but it seems like you could get a lot more for your money if you spend a little more.

I would totally look into a 02-04 LGT or L model find one that has had the heads done and youre moeny! They are stout cars and can be had for your price range. I would love to have a 03-04 LGT in a 5 speed! All that N/A goodness :)

Yeah it looks a little banged up. It has had the timing and the turbo done but with 200k mile the other stuff has to be close to clapped out.

I'm kind of a stranger to this mileage. Besides heads, timing belt, turbo... and the accessories for each (tensioners, pulleys, gaskets) what are the other big things to look for?

I could guess struts/suspension bushings, and maybe exhaust? Tires, maybe, too?

Take the car to a mechanic and have them go over it from top to bottom. Look for leading valve covers (not too expensive to replace) and leaking head gaskets (higher price to replace, but if not replaced and they fail could leak to major engine damage). Just a thorough overall check will tell you what else may be wrong and need repair. As long has you know what is needed, then you can determine a fair price. As for the turbo, it seems that frequent oil changes is the single most important item to long turbo life. Use synthetic oil for extra protection also. Good luck, you will love the handling and power of the GT Turbo, if you decide to buy the car.:)

Bel Air Car Guy

Ah well: had two tests for exhaust gas turn up negative on my SUS, so no HG job and keeping it around.

As for this LGT, It seems to have sold for somewhere between $3500 and $4500. Wishing the new owner good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
if you want a turbo subaru get a lower mileage base model WRX.

This was my initial approach, but finding a Gen 2 WRX for a reasonable amount of cash was damn near impossible - seems like owners hold onto them until they're dead and buried (both the owners and/or the cars). A good sign for a 1st or 2nd owner, not so much for someone looking for a fully depreciated car.

I came close on one, but it needed tons of work - rear main seal, head gaskets, front passenger axle. Dude wouldn't come down a dollar from $5000 so I walked away and picked up my naturally aspirated Legacy for $1400 less.

I agree with BDII - If you have turbo fever, I wouldn't look at anything over 70,000 miles unless you're willing to do some work on it. As with any engine that's pushing pressure, it's going to require a lot more work/maintenance on seals and gaskets.

And for goodness' sake, stay away from any VW/Audi 1.8T. I dodged a serious bullet on what appeared to be a nice Jetta. Those things are ticking time bombs!

Archived