LegacyGT.com

Does the 2017 Legacy 3.6 use Direct Fuel Injection?

Hi,

New to forum & Legacy, have simple question:

Does the 2017 Legacy 3.6 use Direct Fuel Injection?

From spec page:

Fuel/induction

Sequential multi-port fuel injection (MFI) with cylinder head direct-mount multi-spray injectors and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system

6th gen legacy engines are not DI.

Next generation of motors will probably have DI (the newest motors from Subaru, and most other manufacturers use direct injection), though the 3.6 will probably be replaced by a smaller turbo charged engine (2.0 DIT or 2.4 DIT).

DI has advantages (mainly, efficiency, power + MPG increase) and disadvantages (no fuel hitting the back of intake valves = deposits over time that reduce efficiency, and eventually need to be cleaned off).

DI helps the new Camry make 203 hp with a NA 2.5 liter engine, (compare that to the current gen 2.5 legacy 175 hp)

Hopefully Subaru adds some additional injection pre-intake valve to keep them clean in their next gen motors.

MPFI in this application is a much better choice for longevity and ease & cost of maintenance. Thank Goodness!

The current direct injection technology sucks for daily driver cars and long temr maintenance.

Exactly. Been there done that with the Forester SJ XT (FA20DIT). I want to stay with the 3.6R as long as I can (a beautiful engine) but I expect I will eventually have to replace it.

In regards to fuel economy; I get the exact same calculated at the pump fuel economy with the 3.6R on the open road as I did with the Foz SJ XT, but less around town.

Exactly. Been there done that with the Forester SJ XT (FA20DIT). I want to stay with the 3.6R as long as I can (a beautiful engine) but I expect I will eventually have to replace it.

In regards to fuel economy; I get the exact same calculated at the pump fuel economy with the 3.6R on the open road as I did with the Foz SJ XT, but less around town.

Direct Injection is a very interesting subject. Obviously the first GDI's had a problem (especially it seems with some Audi's) but they seem to have made some advancements since then ... but I guess the jury is still out on the long term future. I came across the following links that I found interesting. ( I included the first one because I think it explains GDI's in a plain non technical way.)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/direct-injection-engine.htm

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/01/is-carbon-buildup-a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html

http://www.aspenautoclinic.com/blog/the-low-down-on-carbon-build-up

http://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

... Obviously the first GDI's had a problem (especially it seems with some Audi's) but they seem to have made some advancements since then ...

In my experience & from what you will find posted on subaruforester.org I’m not so sure of that with the Subaru FA20DIT – that engine is a nice engine when it is running nicely but ... .

I think part of the problem is the way the CVT is programmed to use that engines very good low down torque on light to partial throttle, which is very nice when you are driving it & good for fuel economy.

Unless I missed it, for the small capacity DIT petrol engines I didn’t read anything in those articles that mentioned LSPI or engine oil fuel dilution!

I’m just glad the 3.6R isn’t DI.

I’m just glad the 3.6R isn’t DI.

I share your concerns. I'm not sure if a 6 cylinder is in the long term plans of subaru ...... and either way, I think like most other manufacturers, some form of direct injection will be included in all future engines ....... the lure of enabling some fuel savings, will be too much for the boffins to resist.

Hi,

Bought a 2018 instead of 2017. The Fuel System is Sequential MPI in the new 2018 Legacy 2.5 my wife & I bought yesterday.

So far the car drives very nice. Studying up on the "eyesight" system.

Below is a pix.

car-eng.jpg.dfd79adbc8fce67b6a9b4fa84e73a71b.jpg

Hi,

Bought a 2018 instead of 2017. The Fuel System is Sequential MPI in the new 2018 Legacy 2.5 my wife & I bought yesterday.

So far the car drives very nice. Studying up on the "eyesight" system.

Below is a pix.

Welcome to the forum ... nice color.

Archived