LegacyGT.com

Has anybody Run a Hub adapter 5x100 to 5x114.3??

minitech

I am looking at buying some 06 sti 17in bbs wheels and tires for a good price. I would be putting them on an 05 lgt. I know i could just get the 04 Sti Wheels that are 5x100. But these 06 wheels are a very good deal. I would have to get hub adapters and i don't know if that would work out ok. Curious if anybody has tried this method with positive results??? I know they will probably space out about 25mm over stock.

Unfortunately, hub adapters have to be too thick, so offset would be WAY off.

You'd need a wheel with a 73mm offset to be "wheel bearing friendly" using that kind of spacer.

Using a 25mm spacer on a +48 rim, gives you a +23mm offset, which would probably put the edge of the rim outside the fender.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

an inch thick spacer wont be "wheel bearing friendly" anyway

Unless you have +73 offset wheels. Then it'll be fine.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

A 25mm spacer with a 73mm offset wheel = 48mm offset.

Thanks everybody for the good info. I think i am goinf to pass on those wheels and adapters. Its really not that good of a deal :cool: and I don't want to risk wheel bearings failing..... Or have the wheels out past the finders where they don't belong. Now i realize very few people use them much. ;)

• 4 months later...
A 25mm spacer with a 73mm offset wheel = 48mm offset.

Math is correct , but earlier post is not , it will not be fine.

The wheels mounting face is still an inch farther out then factory , which increases the load/leverage on the lugs,bearings,hubs etc. It will cause premature bearing failure ... ask anyone who has done this with an unitized bearing set-up. Bearings that normally last 140k+ are checking out as soon as 40 to 60k in some cases.

Results will vary , obviously , someone who drives aggresively in the turns is now loading the hell out of the bearings/lugs/ etc , compared to granny (pimping 20's) puttzing to the grocery for cat food.

Math is correct , but earlier post is not , it will not be fine.

The wheels mounting face is still an inch farther out then factory , which increases the load/leverage on the lugs,bearings,hubs etc. It will cause premature bearing failure ... ask anyone who has done this with an unitized bearing set-up. Bearings that normally last 140k+ are checking out as soon as 40 to 60k in some cases.

Results will vary , obviously , someone who drives aggresively in the turns is now loading the hell out of the bearings/lugs/ etc , compared to granny (pimping 20's) puttzing to the grocery for cat food.

I'm FAIRLY sure that you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you know how wheel offset works? Distance from the hub mounting face to the centerline of the wheel.

A 73mm offset wheel, with a 25mm spacer is no different than running the exact same wheel width with a 48mm offset. No difference in "leverage" on the hub and bearing. The lug studs don't really carry any significant bending load, it is primarily just tensile load.

The whole "spacers kill wheel bearings" concept is largely overblown. A good friend of mine VERY aggressively tracked and drag raced his Subaru with 22mm offset wheels. He has 70k on that wheel setup, with no incidents yet.

Not universal, simply a single example. There are tons of "hellaflush" guys on Nasioc that you could probably look up.

It's physics. The only thing that matters is the distance of the wheel relative to the wheel hub. Whether it's achieved with a spacer or wheel off set, the bearings know no difference. Fact.
Agreed. Though if my thought process is correct, the wheel width would make a difference. E.g. a 17x8.5 45 would move the moment arm 1" inboard compared to a 17x6.5 45, correct?

^no, when you increase width and keep offset the same the bearings are pretty much loaded the same way, since you are adding an inch on both sides. It would be more friendly to the bearings to run a wider wheel with a higher offset than a narrower wheel with a really low offset or a spacer.

^no, when you increase width and keep offset the same the bearings are pretty much loaded the same way, since you are adding an inch on both sides.

Right. Offset is center-line to hub mounting. Width and offset are exclusive.

Are you referring to negative offset? :iam:

Offset can be positive/negative, as BAC said its simply the relation of the hub surface and wheel centerline.

I'm good, no worries. :spin:

Turkeylord mentioned OUTER rim edge to mounting surface, which I *think* is frontspacing (if that exists), it's sure as shit ain't offset, nor is it backspacing.

Archived