LegacyGT.com

Changing Transmission Fluid

Do you guys recommend changing the transmission fluid? I've heard many rumors on the net that you shouldnt after a certain number of miles...is this true? Currently my Suby has roughly 120k miles on it and am unaware if the original owner had it replaced.

Now if I would make a switch like that, how would i go about doing it...just drain it and add the new oil? Last I checked synthetic and regular oil don't mix well... So I assume I would need to flush the system. Also what would the benefit be if I switched to synthetic, the car has an AT.

Now if I would make a switch like that, how would i go about doing it...just drain it and add the new oil? Last I checked synthetic and regular oil don't mix well... So I assume I would need to flush the system. Also what would the benefit be if I switched to synthetic, the car has an AT.

Pay the money and get it done at a shop with a fluid exhanger. That way you get ALL of the fluid swapped out. Synthetic should run cooler (at least that is the theory).

Your car is 12 years old and has 120k miles. How much longer do you plan on keeping it? If it is a long time I would do the change. I did it in my old Cadillac (an '85 Coupe Devile) and it helped it out a bit. The old fluid was nasty.

Are you having any shifting issues?

It's unfortunately AT. I was going to drop the plan and change the filter etc. I havent gotten a gasket yet or a filter, so i was thinking of draining it and then refilling it up, or do you guys think otherwise?

I've also heard that story, and originally thought it was a load of sh!t. I asked a friend of mine who been a mechanic longer then I've been able to type. He said it can be true. He's seen transmissions that were not subject to proper fluid change intervals, in otherwise okay condition, suddenly fail after a flush and fill with new fuild. I was still puzzled, but he reasoned that all of the crap in the fluid that would normally be considered bad, was all that was keeping the trans together and running.

So, that's what I know about the subject. Its your car, your call.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I've also heard that story, and originally thought it was a load of sh!t. I asked a friend of mine who been a mechanic longer then I've been able to type. He said it can be true. He's seen transmissions that were not subject to proper fluid change intervals, in otherwise okay condition, suddenly fail after a flush and fill with new fuild. I was still puzzled, but he reasoned that all of the crap in the fluid that would normally be considered bad, was all that was keeping the trans together and running.

That does happen if the fluid has not been changed for an extended interval, like 75k + miles.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A FLUID CHANGE AND ESPECIALLY NOT A FLUSH>

You should use the only method I have ever heard of working for misused autos. My wife let our trooper tranny blow up because of waiting and then doing a flush. Guess who was driving it when it blew up, and who got the blame? after that I followed a knowledgeable Isuzu group's advice and it has worked on my Vehicross thus far. Drain and change out in 1/3 increments over 5,000 miles. I used Mobil 1 syn and will probably only use it in the future.

Leave the fluid in there. The particles floating around in the fluid help improve the life of the clutches. It is tiny pieces of clutch material that you see. It hurts nothing to stay in the tranny. Actually, I think it helps. Don't change fluid, and don't use synthetic.

I have had that exact same thing happen to me. Trans was fine....decided to change fluid......after, the car was burning through the clutches. Trans was starting to go out. Too slippery inside. Not a good thing. There is no 1000degree heat eating away at the fluid in your tranny. Leave it be.

Archived