LegacyGT.com

Fuel Efficiency

mechler

I'd really like to buy a Legacy Wagon, but I'm concerned about the fuel efficiency. Here's a link to how the EPA rates them:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

(sorry, it doesn't link right to the page. I'm looking at the 2007 models...)

How does this compare to what you guys are getting? I'm just looking at the base 2.5, not the GT, so I thought it would get better mileage than 20/28. Also, what's with the manual having lower efficiency than the automatic (for the non-turbo models)??? That seems a bit counterintuitive.

I've read that these cars really loosen up after 5k miles or so and get much better fuel economy. I was also under the impression that the Legacy gets better mileage (and handles better) than the Outback. Can anyone comment on that?

I know many of you drive LGTs and may not be too concerned with fuel economy, but this is pretty much the only thing holding me back from buying one. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS When are they going to put diesels in these things?? - for the US market, that is...

If you're that concerned with economy, you should buy a Passat diesel wagon. People with 2.5i's commonly get close to 30mpg on the highway. To me, that is quite good on an AWD car that weighs almost 3400 lbs with one of the largest 4 cylinders on the market. I doubt you'll see a diesel in a Subaru for the next 5 years though.

It's now called the Impreza. :) I'm not sure if you knew this tidbit melcher, but the 08 Impreza's are now really just a Legacy in disguise. If you can't find a new 07 wagon, you'll have to buy a used one because they are no longer made. Instead, you can get a 5-door Impreza and it amounts to the same thing. You can even get it with a premium package that comes with a moonroof and Nav.

I can't with mine. I'm stage 2 though and running 18X8 OZ superleggera's, so I'm knocked down to about 25 on the highway. Good enough for me though. Actually, it's probably a little better than that though considering the larger wheel diameter affecting the speedometer. So I'm really traveling farther than the odometer reads by a couple miles an hour and getting just a touch better gas mileage than it says.

in general all the legacys have pretty so-so fuel economy unless you drive them in a very restrained/unfun manner, defeating the purpose of getting one. If fuel economy is your primary concern, theres no shame in getting a different car, and forget AWD cars too as the drivetrains are even worse on fuel economy than 2WD trains in general.

and yes, people may chime in and provide a specific example to disagree with any of my points, there will be 99 other examples supporting my points. but its your judgement, not ours.

I know they don't make wagons anymore, but there are still some new '07s to be had, not to mention used. And I am considering waiting until the Jetta Sportwagens come out later this year. The TDIs are supposed to get 40-50mpg, but I'm pretty wary about VW's reliability. Reliability trumps fuel economy for me. I also like the AWD feature, which the VW's won't have, as far as I know. I realize that you trade some fuel efficiency for AWD capability.

Funny, the Impreza doesn't look like the Legacy...:p

BTW, this will be primarily for my wife and my young daughter. She (my wife) drives quite, er, "restrained" as you put it. Hence, no GT required. But, variances aside, I'm wondering if the EPA ratings are accurate. Especially the manual vs. auto business...

fueleconomy.gov underrates most of their estimates, from the experience ive had.

my 1990 Subaru Legacy AWD (auto trans) is rated for 18/23mpg, which is complete BS, if i run my car at wide open throttle all day long i would not go under 24mpg, i can hit 33mpg on the highway, 27mpg is the in town average, not even an old Legacy SS gets that bad a mileage.

our 98' Ranger is rated for 19/24mpg, it gets 23/27mpg

its the way the EPA has changed the fuel mileage test, it lowered the MPG rating of most cars. you can probably add atleast 2mpg to the rating and that is likely the mpg you will get.

I've found that, too, and I'm sure we'll get better mileage than the EPA ratings. I just don't want to have regrets when gas costs $5/gallon. But I don't want to take a VW TDI to the shop 56 times, either.

I would be happy if it was only $5/gallon!

Current price is $7.50/gallon! :eek:

453747.png

I would be happy if it was only $5/gallon!

Current price is $7.50/gallon! :eek:

Yeah, I know - I travel to Norway every year. When you're there, you can watch the dollar tank in real-time. $8 gas and $20 hamburgers are great!

We may see those prices here, if we don't sink into a depression first.

Anyway, one other question -

Is there that much difference between the Legacy and Outback Wagons? I'm busting my balls looking for a new '07 Legacy. Should I just forget it and go with a new Outback?

Thanks.

if fuel economy is your main concern, than go buy a Prius. :lol: AWD and fuel economy do not go hand in hand. sorry, but if you want decent power, safety of AWD and Subaru (one of the safest vehicles on the road imo), you have to sacrifice a little on the fuel economy. However, for those who consistently get 24-30 mpg if they drive like grandma's that's pretty good for any AWD system with some oomph. Our previous cars were Pontiac Vibe's base FWD and I had a GT FWD model. The AWD version are gutless wonders and after only 2 blocks into the test drive, I turned around and drove back, telling the salesman that if the car can't move when I put my foot on the gas, I don't want it, regardless if it gets 35 mpg or not. No thanks.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

im 17, and fairly hard on my car, but i guess im not making near the power of most of you, my car is lighter as well

it doesnt have allot to do wit speed, it has more to do with how constant you can keep the rpms, if you keep a steady speed on the interstate, the speed your at will matter little as to the mpg you get. averaging 85-90mph i can get up to 33mpg as long as i can keep the rpms mostly steady, which is hard when you have an 4eat with no cruise control.

if im accelerating hard to pass people and kicking it down into 3rd, then of course, im going get awful mileage.

Is there that much difference between the Legacy and Outback Wagons? I'm busting my balls looking for a new '07 Legacy. Should I just forget it and go with a new Outback?

They didn't make or sold that many Legacy wagons, so you are going to have a hard time finding them. The major difference between Legacy and Outback is the suspension. Outback rides higher and has softer suspension. LGT wagon also has larger brakes than the Outback XT. Obviously you have the body cladding on the Outback that's not on the Legacy. If you are looking for a 5MT turbo then your only choice is the OBXT. '07 Legacy GT wagon only comes with 5EAT.

it doesnt have allot to do wit speed,

This part is not true. Drag is a function of velocity squared. Which means drag is increasing a lot faster than your speed. More hp is needed to maintain the speed and that means more gas. Also IIRC, the '05+ LGT's ECU goes open loop at 80+ mph. This means your engine is most likely running richer than it has to be and that translates to more fuel as well.

it has more to do with how constant you can keep the rpms,

This part is very true. This is the reason why cruise control will help you get better fuel economy.

yeah cruise control helps I have a 5.2liter V8 98 dakota (the old 318 block they have been since the 70s, 2000 and up went to the 4.7 liter) and gas mileage is crap, around town I get 12.7mpg but i have a bit of a lead foot. If i do about 85 on the highway without cruise control i pull 11mpg but if i put it on cruise control at 60mph I can pull 18 or 19mpg. with the stupid 4 speed auto in the truck the fastest you can get with a low RPM is right around 60mph so thats where you pull the best gas mileage

My 06 automatic 2.5i has seen up to 32mpg highway and as low as 19mpg city (averages). I find it pretty sad and bad, but I went for safety first. If you live in an area that doesnt see harsh rain or snow then get a fwd economy car instead. The Legacy does look great however.

yeah cruise control helps I have a 5.2liter V8 98 dakota (the old 318 block they have been since the 70s, 2000 and up went to the 4.7 liter) and gas mileage is crap, around town I get 12.7mpg but i have a bit of a lead foot. If i do about 85 on the highway without cruise control i pull 11mpg but if i put it on cruise control at 60mph I can pull 18 or 19mpg. with the stupid 4 speed auto in the truck the fastest you can get with a low RPM is right around 60mph so thats where you pull the best gas mileage

Hemi's get better highway mileage than those 4.7's.

This year we have the new "Corsair" 4.7L.......335 ponies!:)

Archived