LegacyGT.com

Need Downpipe advice...new LGT

zag300zx

Hey guys, I just picked up an 07 LGT (peteh82's) and love it for the most part. The shifter is waaay too tall (ordered kartboy STS!) and the low end power is unimpressive. I am interested in doing an uppipe and downpipe install with an AP. But my fear is that the turbo noise will become too intrusive. I love how the car is so quiet and would hate to have to listen to the turbo whine and whistle all the time just accelerating through town like my old wrx.

So what is the best option as to keeping the turbo noise in check? I assume it has to do with the wall thickness of the pipe. Will a stock STI uppipe fit? Is Cobb the thickest downpipe? Please Help!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW I just went stage 2 on my 08 over the weekend. I'm running the stock up (08s are catless) and used an Invidia DP and Perrin mid/y on stock cans. Intake is untouched. I can hear a slight turbo whine starting at 2500 rpm or so and if I nail it does give the ever pleaseant whoossshhh. :)

However, that is all the the radio off. As soon as I turn on the radio or phone or whatnot I don't notice it anymore. I can't imagine it being that annoying unless you never use the radio and need dead silence for some reason. It's not loud enough for my phone to pick it up.

HTH

If you really want to keep sounds level low, you could gut the stock DP..and get 90% of the power you would with an aftermarket piece. The sound will be stock level..obviously! I think all aftermarket DP's will give you more noise. I personally would choose a divorved WG design DP, like the invidia.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help guys. Gutting the DP might be a good option for me, as an aftermarket DP might only get you a little more power up top. Midrange should be the same.

There are two cats in the DP, right? Do most people just gut the first cat?

fwiw i just ordered the complete perrin downpipe set b/c i like the fact of staying 99% emissions legal and the full 3" piping for future plans of mid and y. depending on state laws, and/or how laid back your inspection station is, you may want to keep emissions in mind.

I have Cobb catted on my WRX and Invidia catted on my LGT. Both give excellent power and are thick and quelch turbo noise 95%. Personally I prefer the divorced watsegate design on the Invidia. Intakes and CBE make the most noise.

http://www.lolcats.com/view/1002/

Gut the stock pipe, no money required, and it is extremely easy. Did mine said and done in a half hour or so

no one believes you, prove it! :cool:

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Right now I am finding it hard to justify spending the extra $550 for a catted DP, except for the added bling factor and me knowing I got a sweet pipe under the car. But since money does not grow on trees, a gutted stock should work ok.

Where do you live??? Don't forget about emissions... I live in NY so it's only a visual inspection, it looks like I have cats so no issues passing :)

Luckily I live in one of the few places that doesn't have any sort of emissions testing! Does anybody know the torque specs on the turbo bolts?

i bought new gaskets for peace of mind; i have 70k miles though. as for torque specs, im pretty sure the turbo to downpipe bolts/nuts are around 25 ft-lbs...kinda low but i'm pretty sure thats what the manual says....im taking this from memory so dont quote me

• 3 weeks later...
If you go to a local exhaust shop they can custom make you a quality catted downpipe to whichever size for much less, even including installation, than you would buy from our usual brands. Also a local warranty and guaranteed no leaks. Not sure why more people don't do this.

Archived