LegacyGT.com

trying to solve clunky start

hey fellas, so after my tune up, my 97 wagon is running very smooth. Smooth even idle, quiet, and peppy. The only thing I can't seem to solve is my clunky start. Every time I start the car, I get a rough clunky start. So far I've changed the oil, flushed the radiator, new plugs, cleaned maf, cleaned throttle body, changed air and fuel filter. Like I said, it runs nice, but it just has the roughest start. Any help would be appreciated.

If it wasn't like that before the tune up then retrace your steps make sure you didn't take a ground or something loose..;).make sure your gas cap is on, since you took it off to relieve pressure right?;) maybe ridiculous...but i have he memory of a goldfish sometimes....after work and most Sundays.

Check everything!

Its sounded clunky since i bought it. It sounded rougher and the idle was inconsistent before i tuned it up. Btw, ive also changed the pcv valve too.

When i start it, it just sounds rattly, not like a timing chain type rattle though, a timing chain rattle has a rhythm to it. It just sounds like it has a hard time starting even though it starts right up. I was thinking of changing the battery and getting a fresh one in there. Do you think that will help?

If you already did all that and it still acting like that you got some gremlins...you have a lot of electronics in there or recently done some electrical work?

A bad alternator can cause strange things to happen but they can be tested rather easily, get them tested, if they are good look into all your grounds on the body, motor, transmission, and starter. If your battery isn't bad or still holds a charge its ok..the battery is used just to start the car, after that its the alternators job to keep your car running.

I'll test the battery and alternator, and see what my idle speed is this weekend and report back. Its just during the start when I hear the clunkiness, once its going it runs quiet and smooth.

The only real mechanical failure on a starter like that would be that the gear on end of the shaft may be getting worn down when it engages and skipping on your flywheel/torque converter...other than that kinda stumped bub.

Take that starter out and inspect it...if you have a missing tooth on that gear you will know quick...they can be rebuilt, but the fuji starter is amazingly strong but amazingly expensiveas well.

Archived