LegacyGT.com

Push Button Ignition Systems

I was told at the dealership that the JDM version of my 08 LGT comes w/ a push button start, and it made me sad... I jumped to my LGT from an 07 IS350 and I really miss the keyless Entry/push button ignition system. I was doing some searching and found this:

http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_start_ignition.html

seems pretty cool, anyone know anything about it or if there are any other kits like it? I was also curious is there a JDM conversion kit or anything like that, to install the entry and ignition systems that are made for the Car rather than going aftermarket and buying a 3rd party product?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ya i was searching through and found a couple threads on the keyless ignition. I kind of wanted to get the whole package though, if there was one. With the keyless entry option of just being to to put your hand on the door handle and the car unlocks or having the buttons on the door handle where you can unlock your car from. That would be nice. If not I could settle for just the push button start, but I have a lot of concerns haha.

What if my car has a locking column? Can I use StarDrive?

There is no easy bypass for a car that has a mechanical steering wheel lock. In this scenario you have two choices, 1) Use the key to unlock the column or 2) permanently disable the steering wheel lock.

The electronic style steering wheel lock can be modified to work with the system.

Good luck with that issue.

Really... How about remote start for manual transmissions?

It just costs a bit more that remote start for an AT. A sensor needs to be installed to make sure that the car is in neutral. If you get in the car and press the clutch without putting the key in the ignition and turning it to "run", the car will shut off.

Hmm... I wanna know how!

Is it DIY-able?

haha I was reading around and I found one post in a forum about this that went like this:

"i had one on a manual but i had to take off the cluch swich and i dont recommend it becuse i left it in gear and it drove off into the river wean i crunk it up"

"Yeah I got a little story about remote starter on a standard cars:

A colleague of mine at work nicely offered me his tuned up Sub WRX to go grab some food at diner time. Hand break was loose so i automatically parked the car in first gear. Later on my colleague started his car remotely and the starter was strong enough to bring the engine to a start . it ended up hitting a brand new BMW X3 causing few thousands of damage on it. the WRX's front bumper was also screwed Now the guy wants me to share the costs of the damage... what do you guys think?? I'd like to hear what you'd do if you were me. "

Interesting stories... haha, good for a laugh.

Pretty much every new remote starter on the market has the ability to be installed on a manual vehicle. They just tend to cost a bit more since they need a clutch bypass and an extra sensor to make sure it's not in gear. I don't think it is too much more expensive, maybe $50 or so more than an auto. The biggest increase in price is due to longer range and 2-way communication between the car and remote. (Lets you know the car has started etc.)

Hmm... I wanna know how!

Is it DIY-able?

haha I was reading around and I found one post in a forum about this that went like this:

"i had one on a manual but i had to take off the cluch swich and i dont recommend it becuse i left it in gear and it drove off into the river wean i crunk it up"

"Yeah I got a little story about remote starter on a standard cars:

A colleague of mine at work nicely offered me his tuned up Sub WRX to go grab some food at diner time. Hand break was loose so i automatically parked the car in first gear. Later on my colleague started his car remotely and the starter was strong enough to bring the engine to a start . it ended up hitting a brand new BMW X3 causing few thousands of damage on it. the WRX's front bumper was also screwed Now the guy wants me to share the costs of the damage... what do you guys think?? I'd like to hear what you'd do if you were me. "

Interesting stories... haha, good for a laugh.

:lol: Simple solution: Never let anyone else ever drive your car ever. Ever. And if you're stupid enough to forget that you left your car in gear and use the remote starter, there was no hope for you to begin with.

Car starters on manuals are pretty common up here, I have two cars with them. You take the car out of gear and apply the parkbrake, then tap your main brakes to initiate the system and take the keys out and exit the car (the car remains running). Once you close your door you use your remote to lock the doors which will turn off the engine and set-up the system. You then use the remote to start the car, there is a safety on it that will disable the starter if you re-enter the car without using the remote. Older starters had the ability to be activated with the car in gear but anything made in the last five years (in the Great White North anyways) have a safety as too many cars were being launched into other vehicles, garage walls, etc.

Older starters had the ability to be activated with the car in gear but anything made in the last five years (in the Great White North anyways) have a safety as too many cars were being launched into other vehicles, garage walls, etc.

Mine can be cranked in gear, but i removed that pesky clutch switch;) no pressa tha clutch to start her for me:spin:

Any update on the price of that unit?

anything made in the last five years (in the Great White North anyways) have a safety as too many cars were being launched into other vehicles, garage walls, etc.

HAHAHA this sounds hilarious...

Mine can be cranked in gear, but i removed that pesky clutch switch;) no pressa tha clutch to start her for me:spin:

Whoa, you did this yourself? since I bought my car I have constantly been annoyed by the fact that I would have to press the clutch to start the ignition... was this difficult?

Yup, it's an easy DIY. That being said i don't remember exactly what i did (it was 2yrs ago) but it had something to do with the clutch switch that is located above the clutch pedal. I either grounded the circuit or completed it, any way it's easy to figure out if you climb under there and look at the switch it needs to be opposite of where it sits at rest.

Find the connector for the clutch switch, pull it, and substitute a jumper.

I've done it on all our vehicles, mostly to save wear on the thrust bearing.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Yup, it's an easy DIY. That being said i don't remember exactly what i did (it was 2yrs ago) but it had something to do with the clutch switch that is located above the clutch pedal. I either grounded the circuit or completed it, any way it's easy to figure out if you climb under there and look at the switch it needs to be opposite of where it sits at rest.

Thanks man, I'll look into it.

My brothers yota pickup has a switch on the dash to disable the clutch switch, it made it nice when he fried his TOB HAHA

I read yoda's pickup at first :lol: What's a TOB?

I'd guess Throw Out Bearing.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived