LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

okay so i did this mod (very good instructions btw) but while i was under the dash i noticed that there were a couple connectors not connected to anything really. I bought the car used so it might be something from the last owner, but also my fogs dont work (figured the bulbs were bad). My question is are the connectors that i saw have anything to do with the fogs??

I didnt read the whole thread yet so this may already be answered (sorry) but is there a way to run the fog lights independently. For instance, after disabling the DRL the fogs still only work with the headlights on. Lets say I wanted to drive around at dusk with just the parking lights and fogs on. Is there a way to accomplish this without cutting or splicing anything? Thanks!

-Mike

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

I have an 09 Legacy SE. I pulled down the under dash cover, and up against the firewall left of the steering column is a little black box (among many) with a blue label with the words "Cont Module DRL". Pull down the white connector. In that tangle of wires, look for the blue wire with a black stripe. That is the one. Other people are right; it is a pain to pull out. The wire is held in place with a locking tab, and this is the pain. You'll need a very small flathead screwdriver to push down the locking tab. You will have to mess around with it to get it out, and you can try pushing the wire into the socket a little to release some pressure on the locking tab. I ended up using a pair of small needlenose to hold the wire, while I pushed the tab down with the tiny screwdriver. I have found that swearing a lot helps, too.

I am Irish, so my temper is about .02 seconds longer than an Italian's. I was this close to just cutting the wire, but it came out after a few minutes of stubbornness. Wrap the end in tape, and put your dash back together.

I finally got this done today, but with what another person here did. Use a female/male disconnector after I cut the wire off. Seemed like the easiet way and the most time saving. MUCH better without DRLs.

Well, duh. I shoulda done that, or throw in a .99 Radio Shack rocker switch. Oh, well. I'll do that on my next Subie (Outback) for my wife. But, she loves DRLs. :spin:

• 4 weeks later...
I have an 09 Legacy SE. I pulled down the under dash cover, and up against the firewall left of the steering column is a little black box (among many) with a blue label with the words "Cont Module DRL". Pull down the white connector. In that tangle of wires, look for the blue wire with a black stripe. That is the one. Other people are right; it is a pain to pull out. The wire is held in place with a locking tab, and this is the pain. You'll need a very small flathead screwdriver to push down the locking tab. You will have to mess around with it to get it out, and you can try pushing the wire into the socket a little to release some pressure on the locking tab. I ended up using a pair of small needlenose to hold the wire, while I pushed the tab down with the tiny screwdriver. I have found that swearing a lot helps, too.

I am Irish, so my temper is about .02 seconds longer than an Italian's. I was this close to just cutting the wire, but it came out after a few minutes of stubbornness. Wrap the end in tape, and put your dash back together.

Wow that was a much bigger pain in the ass..back...head..and especially fingers than expected! The pliers on the sure bundle combined with flat head pushing in on plastic lock tab is key. It worked incredibly though. I have 55w HIDs that were flickering while I was driving even with the lights off thanks to DRL. Then at night after having the lights on there would be a period of 20 seconds or so of flashing when I turned them off. This highly embarrassing and unacceptable flickering has ceased since this little trick. Also I couldn't turn the lights on unless they were in the "on" position prior to ignition. So if they started off and I drove til dark I would have to pull over and turn the car off ...absurd!!! Now its amazing.. much easier mod than trying to add a relay harness to ballasts buried deep in the engine.

Thanks a lot OP. The previous owner of my 05 lgt had hid upgrades AND had somehow set them to strobe while the ebrake was disabled (when driving not when stopped). As it turns out the strobe "feature" was hooked up via the DRL's. Following your instructions I disabled the DRL's and the strobe is now gone. This was free vs. $100 min at the local car audio shop and took under 5 minutes. Thanks again.

Well my driver side low beam is just off. About 1 week it worked. I have no idea what happend. I'm guessing the bulb burned out but I just got these lights. Fogs and passenger low beam are just fine. Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Disconnect DRL and you probably wont have any more....or very few headlight changes in the future. Some one turned me on to that thread a little while ago and it really helped. Go to the walkthrough and the thread is there. Litteraly takes 10 or less min. to do

I disconnect the white plug, and I have HID's now, they work great. But, how can I turn on or off the fog lights without turning on the HID's?? I want to turn on the fog lights in the first notch of the light switch.

I disconnect the white plug, and I have HID's now, they work great. But, how can I turn on or off the fog lights without turning on the HID's?? I want to turn on the fog lights in the first notch of the light switch.

there is that mod you can do, search up foglights with parking lights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm going full derp on this one. I can't get those ******* push screws or whatever to come out. Don't really have any tools or even a screw driver right now as I'm in the process of moving, but can you not do it with your fingers? I see the groove in them but I'm having no luck getting them to pop out or anything. Shit just keeps going round and round.

• 2 weeks later...

So, there's a black plastic piece next to a white plastic piece, both with wire bundles, inside a larger box that says DRL on the label. I've read here that the wire is hard to pull out, but what about the white box/bundle itself?

Here's what I'm thinking I need to do. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I think I need to pull the white plastic box out so that it is hanging down and more accessible. Then, I need to pull out the blue wire with the black stripe.

But, I can't seem to pull out the white box. At all. Is this the point where a screwdriver needs to push on a locking tab? If so, what locking tab? It is not obvious where I need to push to release anything. Some posts seem to indicate that you do that when you need the actual blue/black wire out. Oh, and i've got an 07. Any help is appreciated

Thanks for these instructions! It took me longer to find a flashlight than it did to perform the job. I attached a pic of the green sticker. It's kinda hard to see but you can barely make out "DRL ASSY" - Daytime Running Light Assembly. It's really tucked up high so it's hard to see.

Toronto-20110726-00076.thumb.jpg.7e7ee1168144dbc5dac471663b444520.jpg

Edited by Geegeez