LegacyGT.com

Very strange wobble relative to throttle position, and a function of speed

I have a 2001 legacy auto with 150k on it. It started doing a strange 'wobble' while I was driving it. The best way I can describe it is a wobble, feels almost exactly like a wheel imbalance, however it is only when I am on the throttle. I have to be pushing on the throttle more than 25%, So it CANNOT be a wheel bearing, wheel imbalance, or any tire vibrations. The harder I push on the throttle, the more severe the wobble is. It doesn't effect the steering wheel anymore than the rest of the car, that is, the car as a whole seems to shake, it has nothing to do with a CV axle. The wobble is also relative to speed, the faster I go, the faster (but not necessarily more severe) the wobble becomes.

The only thing I can think of is something on the ass end of the trans, or something in the differentials. It is not relative to what gear I am in, or what RPM the engine is at. I did the traditional front diff test: turn the wheel all the way and accelerate. The front diff did not scream one bit.

I tried plugging in the FWD fuse, to see if disengaging the rear drivetrain would stop the wobble, but the problem was still there.

Any and all thoughts are welcome

P.S. A CEL code popped up around the time the wobble started, P0340: Cam position sensor. I have gotten the part but will not be able to install it for 3 weeks, I am back at college and left the car resting in the driveway at home. I don't think that this is the problem, that sensor would not be relative to the speed of the car, it would be effected by engine RPMs

I was asking my physics professor and he said to do the same exact thing. And they are cheap-all weather-made in china tires, so that could definitely be the problem. I will do that as soon as I get home in about a week.

Thanks!

Conrad

OK so I (not really me, my brother :D ) FINALLY figured it out. I had the CV axle replaced in the beginning of the summer. The part I got was some cheap made in china JUNK, only because im a poor college student. It turned out it was failing miserably and created a lot of play. While I was at school my bro replaced my CV shaft and the problem was solved.

Thanks to all!

Archived