LegacyGT.com

Need help with a shift knob install

larip11

Hey my first time to the forum and so far its pretty chill. i just bought my first legacy.. an 07 2.5i SE. I'm trying to get rid of the stock knob. First i'm wondering how you get the stock knob off, i can already twist it off of the shifter. it is still attached to the boot by some white thing. How can i get this off without damaging it to install another knob. Second, when i purchased the car i asked the dealer if you can install any stock subaru knob such as the sti knob on the shifter and they said yes, but can you really do it? if so i need help figuring out how to install it into the boot so the boot doesnt slip down and have the shift pole hangin out. Any help would be cool. Thanks

you can just pull the knob out from the boot while holding the boot so it doesn't rip. When you are buying the new knob make sure it has a collar that will go inside the boot and keep it in place. I used to have a kartboy knob on my WRX and it was really nice for the money it costs. It did get cold and hot since it was metal depending on the weather.

You'll need to figure out a way to keep the shift boot held up in place with the '07 STi knob. That knob doesn't have the collar at the bottom to connect to the shift boot because of the reverse-lockout lever on the STi shifter.

Archived