LegacyGT.com

2004 Subaru Legacl L Suggestions

BlakeC

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to Subarus and all so I just wanted some suggestions with what do with it.

I purchased this 2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th edition for 3500 with 79k miles on it.

The 2 front fenders need to be replaces (250$)

The back bumper is all muffed up

The front bumper is missing a piece of its fog light that I do not know.

photo_1-2.JPG.0fc4ac5f4b085cf65dd371323e9390b7.JPG

photo_2-2.JPG.e6f3eedf3b7db6439225956ca10ce6ad.JPG

photo_3-2.JPG.91718be947ae783f85b217138dadf2d0.JPG

photo_4-2.JPG.9ec74339e11a2da4517b5255e36538b3.JPG

There are loads to check before we can make any suggestion.

Is the car running well? Is the chassis in good condition?

Thank you for your response!

Yes, it is in good running condition. I got the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plus and wires replaced, air filter all done, 4 wheel alignment, oil change.

Only thing is that it gets pretty hot, but it never gets above the third line so I am guessing that is okay.

The body, has random tiny tiny tiny dents, some little scratches, 2 penny size rust spots that are surface rust ( on door and by license plate, also under the hood bra thing)

2 front fenders are gunna get replaced, the back bumper is all screeched up, front bumper is missing the fog light kit I think is what it is called.

Thats about it!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my lack of knowledge, I hope I answered your question.

Thank you for your response!

Yes, it is in good running condition. I got the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plus and wires replaced, air filter all done, 4 wheel alignment, oil change.

Only thing is that it gets pretty hot, but it never gets above the third line so I am guessing that is okay.

The body, has random tiny tiny tiny dents, some little scratches, 2 penny size rust spots that are surface rust ( on door and by license plate, also under the hood bra thing)

2 front fenders are gunna get replaced, the back bumper is all screeched up, front bumper is missing the fog light kit I think is what it is called.

Thats about it!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my lack of knowledge, I hope I answered your question.

The engine temperature looks higher than normal. I never got that high even during summer fully loaded with AC on and a trailer hooked in the back. The car was climbing a hill in Nova Scotia.

I would make a leak test on the engine and see if the head gaskets should be replaced. This is a big weakness on this engine.

The engine temperature looks higher than normal. I never got that high even during summer fully loaded with AC on and a trailer hooked in the back. The car was climbing a hill in Nova Scotia.

I would make a leak test on the engine and see if the head gaskets should be replaced. This is a big weakness on this engine.

Is there like a recall or something? Sorry I do not know much about Subarus, I just was inspired to make it look nice like everyone else's on here.

Sorry, no recall for this. I would have been too happy ;)

The technician who did mine has sometimes 4 head gasket jobs in a week. It's a very common problem that cost me 1000$ CAD.

WOW, I hope I do not have that problem...

Well, do you have any ideas what I can do with this Subie to make it look sharp and clean?

I personally like lowered wagons. If that's your thing, you can look into lowering springs. For that model, your lowering springs options are somewhat limited. I had H&R springs on my 01 Outback, as that seemed to be the only brand readily available in the US.

But, if I were you, before spending any money on mods, I'd take care the overheating issue first. As stated before, head gasket is a common problem on these cars.

The missing piece on your front bumper may be the the tow hook cover. I can't really tell how bad the back bumper is, but you may be able to get it reconditioned and resprayed by a body shop. Same with your fenders. My 01 Outback was involved in a front end collision and I thought I needed a new bumper. But the body shop reconditioned it and re-painted it. It looked good as new.

So I was just wondering if the temperature is running a little high on my car. It only reached the 1 temperature a few times but it stays a little above the other temperature all he time. My car also heats up pretty quick... Is that usual?

IMG_7699.thumb.jpg.77f1621eec0296959f032041e22efb6e.jpg

IMG_9742.thumb.jpg.b8bcf6061fca0ca76ca5b0f8453497c1.jpg

^ i agree w/ r3v_v3ng3. as stated before head gasket failure is a common issue, but it could also be a stuck thermostat or delay in the radiator fan turning on. 2nd pic looks like the normal temp for subarus, though yours may just be a tad bit higher, but it could just be the angle of the photo.

I suggest ordering fenders from car-part.com

If you get lucky you can find some on there that are from the same color car as yours, so you would not have to paint them. As far as mods, I would start with coilovers or lowering springs. If you want lowering springs, the most popular option I've seen for the wagons are H&R's. They are a little bumpy, but handle excellent for what they are.

-Jake

Archived