LegacyGT.com

Is the Legacy governed?

My friend at work today told me that his 05 Mazda 6 is governed at 115 mph. He was on the highway last night and when he reached this speed the car starte bucking slightly and he couldn't go any faster. I was wondering if any one new if the 05 Legacy (turbo or not) are governed and if so what speed do they stop at?

I haven't gotten my Legacy up to 115 mph yet to find out if it can go beyond that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My friend at work today told me that his 05 Mazda 6 is governed at 115 mph. He was on the highway last night and when he reached this speed the car starte bucking slightly and he couldn't go any faster. I was wondering if any one new if the 05 Legacy (turbo or not) are governed and if so what speed do they stop at?

I haven't gotten my Legacy up to 115 mph yet to find out if it can go beyond that.

I believe the Legacy is speed limited to 130 MPH. With a Cobb v 1.02 reflash, this speed limiter is removed. Not that any of us routinely go over 130 MPH, it's a good feeling to know that we can if we want to:D. I'm not sure at what speed we run out of gearing.

Rick

there was a thread where a guy in Germany mentioned he had the governer off his H6 Legacy and was doing 155 on the autobahn.

hmmm... since it's the autobahn... this speed must have been 155km!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest turboman
I would think we wouldn't be able to hit the 6500 rpm limiter in 5th gear. Too much wind resistance and not enough gear reduction.:eek:

yes, thier is a top speed governor -- 135-ish (not sure on the specifics.... and at that speed no speedometer is reading 100% accurate anyhow)

THe latest Cobb AP ECU Flash removes the top speed limiter.

I was under the impression that if you have nav/gps your speedo is 100% accurate all of the time....? I do understand cars without GPS (like all lgt at this point in the us) are inaccurate from the factory.

They are run from gears mathematically chosen to get as close to accurate as possible, but due to tire wear, weight, non-stock tires, and just the engineering aspects of gear ratios, they are not 100% dead on.

Some cars use hall-effect sensors that read a rotating magnetic signal and mathematically calculate that way, with the same caveats for tires, etc. So, again, not gauranteed accurate.

Usually, if a speedometer is off, it is off by a rate. It is closer to accurate at slow speeds, and the faster you go, the larger the disparity. My motorcycle's speedo is off almost 5mph at 65mph. that's bad. Off by 2-3mph at ~135mph is pretty close.

GPS does not take into account any rotational diameters of wheels or gears. Only radio triangulation with usually 3 orbiting satellites, and calculating the transit time to and from each satelite to your GPS unit. It provides instantaneous location, and movement measured over time provides very accurate direction and speed. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, regardless of your tire inflation, or most anything else, so the trigonometry is the same all the time, and can be calculated MUCH more accurately.

As for cars with GPS NAV, or OnStar, or whatever else being able to use the GPS speed reading, that depends on the car, and if the electronics packages are integrated to that sort of a degree. Some cars probably have NAV that computes speed separately from the ECU or Chassis computer calculating road-speed, but perhaps some are indeed integrated, and the gauge reads the GPS output. I have no idea how you would verify that they are sharing data.

• 8 months later...

Is there any way to just reflash your ECU to remove the top speed limiter without messing with anything else?

It seems that a lot of people that run the Cobb V 1.02 (and higher) map complain about Gas mileage being significantly worse than stock. So I was wondering if there was a way to just remove the Top Speed limiter without messing with the other ECU aspects.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Lol, I haven't personally taken my car up to that speed, so I wouldn't know what the RPM is at. I was just curious about the governer/ speed limiter, and what the options were regarding it. I'm pretty sure the Cobb AP would allow you to reprogram just the top speed limiter, but I'm not positive.

Back in the day, I hit 110 MPH in my Subaru Outback Sport (Impreza) before the governer kicked in. Of course that was all on the track too:icon_evil LOL!

I don't believe any of you. I'm gonna go test it out for myself...be back in 10. (this is a joke so keep your panties straight)

I removed the governor myself, but I live in CA. It may be different where you are.

http://codenewbie.com/fun/images/governor.jpg

How do you just "remove" the governor?

Archived