LegacyGT.com

Forever Black trip restorer. Is it good?

Soarin

I've used a lot of products to help and restore the black trim on the outside and I just found Forever Black. Does anyone have experience with it?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-Bumper-Trim-Dye/dp/B000FOIJXQ]Amazon.com: Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye Kit: Automotive[/ame]

I've used 303 Aerospace (perfect for window and moonroof seals), Meguiar's Ultimate Black, Surf City Garage Black Max, Mother's Back to Black, and a few others and the trim above the windows always fades or someone touches them and there goes the color.

I'm considering the Forever Black stuff, but I want to see if anyone has experience or a better idea other than painting the trim.

I meant trim in the thread title, but typed trip.

Once you have significant UV damage to the plastic trim, there's no going back - all of the products can mask a chalky/light colored surface, but that's all they can do - mask it. You can seal it with products that work sort of like a paint, and maybe that's what this material does.

303 and some other products will protect plastic, and prevent damage, but you need to keep on top of things - once the trim has taken some UV damage and cracked/chalked (which makes it look like the color is fading) it's pretty much game over. Now - bumper and trim pieces are usually thermoplastics, and folks have been able to make them look new using a heat gun (you are melting the cracked/crazed surface) but it's pretty hard to make it look uniform, and if you overdo it, it will look worse than it did before.

You can always prep the surfaces and paint them.

They haven't gone that far, not by a long shot. Just worn considering the car is almost nine years old and lives in Nevada. The summer sun and heat can be brutal, even in the shade. I ordered the Forever Black kit and I'm just waiting for it to come in so I can try it.

• 3 weeks later...
I used Forever Black 4 years ago. Still black! I haven't seen a product like this before. It must be applied with care. It's not like other conditioner products where you just wipe on. Pre-cleaning with the supplied solution is critical. It requires masking or a very careful hand. Lacquer thinner will remove mistakes. It took 3 coats on the very bad areas. Here is a link to results. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reviving-black-exterior-trim-166864.html?t=166864&highlight=forever+black
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived