LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Muffler Choices

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a scrap muffler for my 2.2 legacy so I can fabricate a pipe so I can do a muffler delete. (Just want to temporarily try it out)

My problem is that legacy's are not very abundant at the junkyard, which makes it very difficult to get one.

So, I was wondering if any other models of subaru's have the same muffler/orientation. (Ex. Forester, impreza.)

This would give me more options to choose from when I head out to the junkyard.

Thanks in advance.

If you can find a early STI factory muffler I would go that route. Since its for a turbo it flows better than the Legacy and sounds great. Gives that nice Subbie rumble. Little modification to get it to work. Muffler shop would be the best choice if you don't have a welder. Took me 1 hours to install mine.

If you can find a early STI factory muffler I would go that route. Since its for a turbo it flows better than the Legacy and sounds great. Gives that nice Subbie rumble. Little modification to get it to work. Muffler shop would be the best choice if you don't have a welder. Took me 1 hours to install mine.

I'm guessing that by early STI you're talking about first gen STI. Does that mean that other first gen imprezas will have an exhaust that should fit? Also, when you say "little modification", what does that mean. The flange needed to be reoriented? Exhaust hangers relocated? Extended piping? I'm capable of doing all the welding myself, but if it requires extending the pipe, I'm not willing to go that far with the investment. I'm literally looking for a scrap muffler that should fit my car, chop out the muffler portion and replace it with pipe. Simply, a miffler delete. It's just something i want to try out for a bit. Not really committing to anything.

while we're on the subject, can you define UEL? is this a brand? does it stand for UnEqualLength by chance?

what kind of mileage gains or drops have you guys experienced by going with the header? what are you guys doing for a cat? if you guy the cat, what are you doing for the SES light? Thanks :)

you may gain a bit of torque, but really youre not changing much more than the exhaust metering between the sides, not opening up the whole system. i wouldnt expect much more than a change in sound, really. if youre looking for mpg changes, look to the fuel system efficiency, spark system and suspension/ tires. some have had good luck increasing their mpg with the MSD ignition mod. im running the MSD with iridium plugs at the moment, it does run smoother. the iridium made no difference tho, it ran the same with platinums in it

I think you need to re read the first post. I only got one response from spooln30 but wasn't very specific. One guy just started asking about UEL headers and everybody started jumping on that.

I'll re-ask the question here again so you don't miss it again.

Are there mufflers from other model subarus that will fit the 2nd gen legacy?

I never asked anything about exhaust setup or UEL headers. Infact, you're the one who brought up UEL headers in the second post. If you don't have an answer to the real question, don't feel obliged to post!

Thank you for the straight up answer though. Seriously, I appreciate it. So far you're the only person to provide one.

Also, considering you have nothing better to do but be a grammar/vocab nazi even though you completely understand what I'm trying to say, I feel like I should explain myself.

The reason I would use a scrap muffler is to take advantage of the bend in the pipe. By cutting out the actual muffler box and replacing it with pipe, it would make for a seamless install that looks stock from the back. I happen to take pride in my work and am competent enough to think of an efficient and economical design. Also, I still wonder why you would assume that I have the resources to bend pipe. Please don't assume. The expression goes "If you ASSUME, you will make an ASS out of U and ME."

mandrel bends are cheap and readily available...i see no problems....if you can cut/weld, you can easily make anything fit and "look right".

sorry for hijacking your thread earlier. there is a lot of nomenclature that is "scene specific" and i was only looking for clarity. asking for gains on the header may or may not have been appropriate.

No it's totally fine. That's what the forums are meant for, to get people's questions answered and to discuss the cars we own.

Earlier (before he edited his post) Zeus marine got off at me for not using google to find an answer to my question. I think out of the questions asked here, yours would have been the more appropriate one to search on google.

However, screw google! That's what we're here for, to give each other answers to our questions. If people kept telling others to use google, then we would be missing the point of the forums and we would be a bunch of retards sitting in front of computer screens!

Archived