LegacyGT.com

OK sell me on a Subie

ozz84

Looking into buying my 1st Subie. Already been to the dealership, test drove and threw some numbers around. What I want, they say they have to order and could take up to 5 weeks. Not a problem as I am not in a rush. No deposit was needed since they said selling it would not be a problem either due to configuration.

So after reading as much as possible on the 2011 Legacys, here and elsewhere, not much has been written on reliability. What are some of the common problem areas that seem to come up over and over?

Any sort of info, pros or cons is appreciated...thanks!

Too soon to talk reliability, but rattles and other stuff seem to be well controlled according to TrueDelta

Are you looking for a 2.5i, GT, 3.6R?

Biggest issue for the latter two are that they're pretty underdampened from the factory and ride a little too soft for what they are.

The 2005 - 2009 styles had the odd turbo / clutch wear-outs but that is to be expected from a turbo car that many modify.

Many complain about the mushy suspension and many upgrade that.

Transmissions are generally very robust.

2010/ 2011s are quite new and they re-designed the turbo placement but no real issues are reported so far- on this forum.

People here will complain about a number of inferiorities in their LGTs but hey, we are a bunch of modifiers on this forum. We like to change things and make things better/faster/cooler.

It will come down to competing cars that you like, and if the Subaru is the one for you.

What other cars are you looking at? Seeing as this is your first Subaru, there must have been other brands that you were looking at?

Too soon to talk reliability, but rattles and other stuff seem to be well controlled according to TrueDelta

Are you looking for a 2.5i, GT, 3.6R?

Biggest issue for the latter two are that they're pretty underdampened from the factory and ride a little too soft for what they are.

Looking at the gas saving 2.5i. w/ AWP & Moonroof plus a few other "goodies". Thanks for the link to Truedelta also.

It will come down to competing cars that you like, and if the Subaru is the one for you.

What other cars are you looking at? Seeing as this is your first Subaru, there must have been other brands that you were looking at?

Been a Ford & Toyota family for as long as we can remember. Want to stay AWD due to the New England winters and the Toyotas are simply not going to cut it, especially on looks :). The Fusion is a possibility but cost is what had me look elsewhere, actually right down the road to Subaru.

We like the look of the new Legacy, the features as well as the cost. I just don't know enough about them to feel confident in pulling the trigger. Trying to obtain as much info as possible first.

The Subaru AWD is the best in the business.

That's one of the main features that gets and keeps people coming back to Subaru.

Quirky good looks and reliability are factors too. And there are also people who want a fun fast car like the LGT and don't want the stigma attached with driving a flashier car like an A4 or 3-Series.

If this place shows you nothing else, it will show you that there is an entire community of devoted fans who are willing to help and support each other in any kind of problem. I don't really see that coming from any other make. Maybe it's just me but I get the warm and fuzzies whenever I come here and everyone pitches in to help.

I've been driving Hondas for fifteen years and I just purchased my first Subaru. My only regret is that I didn't look at a Subaru when I purchased my 09 Acura TSX back in July of 2008.

It's a Subaru, it's AWD and if you get a GT/XT it has a turbo.

I'll never own anything else.

Used to be hardcore Honda family. Then we bought our first Subaru in 07; now we are only a Subaru family w/ two in the stable. You just can't beat Subaru AWD.

If you need MPG's just get the 2.5i. Nothing wrong with it, but if you need power look into the 3.6R and LGT if you need a manual.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Do we get a finders fee? LOL....j/k

If you got the money to put down on a new car, any issues you loose (which will be nill pretty much for the first three years) in reliability (the hype about Subie reliability is just that....hype...but they aren't bad either) you'll gain in questionable road condition control. You can find more capable trucks, you can find more comfortable cars, you can find just any car with a better nav system (every review seems to point to SOA totally screwing that option up), and a car or truck/crossover with better MPGs but you are not going to find a better middle compromise that gives you a little of everything and a good amount of cargo room to boot.

It's a middle ground niche that now is broadened by the crossover market.

One recommendation:

The new models haven't proven themselves just yet, and I personally don't think they'll survive the test of time like the old models. So be ready to trade-in, trade-up after three, four or maybe even five years if you can stretch it that long.

A word of caution too:

While a lot of folks will tell you about the great AWD system Subaru has...in DC's last snow storm....I saw a VERY HIGH percentage of vehicle stuck that were NOT RWD...were Subaru's....mostly Outbacks. Over confidence and lack of driving skill will get you in deep fast...even in a Subaru, in snow, ice, rain, mud, etc.

3 words, AWD, AWD, AWD.

Oh did anybody tell you, the BEST AWD.

Hey, is AWD a word ?

As for reliability, in the overall picture, there is good and bad in all cars. Are they perfect, no, is any car perfect ?

Having said that, I have always said on here, I wish Honda made a car like these, in this price range. But AWD out weights FWD.

Where do you live, what's your life style, may be AWD is not that important to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you are buying any Subaru with the EJ motor family (any 2.5 other than the Forester), those motors have been basically the same design for two decades, and haven't been known for systemic problems in a good while. They routinely post 200k miles.

This was the selling point for me. Plus the obvious (AWD, and the "quricky good looks" as appropriately described by Gire).

Sent from my FROYO X using Tapatalk

We learned at a young age on 3-wheelers (tricycle, big wheels, etc.) that FWD sucks - you shouldn't power with only the wheels that you turn with. Been in the Subaru family since 1974. Will not buy another brand. AWD, safety, balance (even out of the box), and long-term reliability are hallmarks of the brand. Maintain them at their normal service intervals (which is much less expensive than other brands that I've followed over the years) and they'll deliver trouble-free miles and put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Yes I love the quirkiness, yes I love the boxer rumble (which BTW you won't get with the 2.5i), yes I love the handling, yes I've been to hell and back in some of my Subes, but most of all, I love the Subaru community of friends who support each other and will drop everything to go help another - in good times and bad. Been driving for a lot of years and have never seen this with any other USDM vehicle.

AFWIW - I'd bet a dime to a doughnut that the Subarus Outbacks that were getting stuck, were on summer or all season tires. AWD is no excuse for ill-equipping your vehicle for real winter conditions and putting yourself at risk of getting stuck.

GL with your vehicle search and hopefully, you'll become a Subaru convert too.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

As mentioned the 2.5i is going to be a reliable vehicle. Most of the complaints on reliability that I see on this sight come from turbo/clutch failure at perceived "too soon" time frame. But also most people on here mod their cars, so they aren't being used as designed, you gotta pay to play.

As for what you are looking at, a 2.5i, I think Subaru has proven it's reliablility there. I had a 2.5RS Impreza before my LGT, which is essentially the same engine. It had 47k when I traded it and I didn't do a bit of additional maintenence. I drove it through some bad weather through the ridges of WV that don't get touched much. The AWD did great. As mentioned, if you don't have the experience/skill driving in bad weather, even AWD won't guarantee you will make it. But if you're like me (and many other on here) and grew up learning to drive in bad conditions and snow/slush, the AWD will only increase you ability.

As for the clutch arguments.... they go both ways. If you are getting a MT and are deathly concerned about possibly replacing the clutch at less than 100k, pony up and buy an extended warranty (probably for more than the cost to replace the clutch) Personally I feel rather confident mine will see 100k+ on oem parts.

Good luck with your purchase, at least you won't run into the problem I had when ordering my '05 Impreza... It didn't arrive when told and all they could say was "Well we know it came into port in Seattle...." :lol: When I got it, it had a destination receipt in the glove box for Virginia..... I was in WEST Virginia at the time :rolleyes:

Yours will be made here in the good ole USA.... and that may be something else you want to consider (are your Ford or Toyota options domestically manufactured?)

Well this is the type of info that is exactly what I was looking for. True owners and true comments.

I personally would be coming from a Toyota Tundra, lifted, customized and fun in the woods. Unfortunately my job now requires alot of travel so MPG is a concern currently, 15 MPG in a truck doesnt cut it or get reimbursed.

Being in New England, it sounds like a Subie fits the bill all the way around. AWD, MPG, room for the family and the ability to still have weekend getaways. Cost is there and offsets fuel bill significantly, almost pays for itself. Only thing is 75k miles in 3 years is a reality so that is what brought up my OP as I would rather rack up the miles and not trade in every 3 to 4 years.

Thanks for the view points everyone....

Been a Ford & Toyota family for as long as we can remember. Want to stay AWD due to the New England winters and the Toyotas are simply not going to cut it, especially on looks :). The Fusion is a possibility but cost is what had me look elsewhere, actually right down the road to Subaru.

We like the look of the new Legacy, the features as well as the cost. I just don't know enough about them to feel confident in pulling the trigger. Trying to obtain as much info as possible first.

We looked at both and to be upfront, 98% of the cars I've owned over the last 28 years have been Fords. I really like them. That said, the wife wanted AWD in the next car and SUbie has been doing that a lot longer than Ford or Mini (we looked at the Countryman) so that and the crash test ratings are why we settled on a Subie.

Do we get a finders fee? LOL....j/k

If you got the money to put down on a new car, any issues you loose (which will be nill pretty much for the first three years) in reliability (the hype about Subie reliability is just that....hype...but they aren't bad either) you'll gain in questionable road condition control. You can find more capable trucks, you can find more comfortable cars, you can find just any car with a better nav system (every review seems to point to SOA totally screwing that option up), and a car or truck/crossover with better MPGs but you are not going to find a better middle compromise that gives you a little of everything and a good amount of cargo room to boot.

It's a middle ground niche that now is broadened by the crossover market.

One recommendation:

The new models haven't proven themselves just yet, and I personally don't think they'll survive the test of time like the old models. So be ready to trade-in, trade-up after three, four or maybe even five years if you can stretch it that long.

A word of caution too:

While a lot of folks will tell you about the great AWD system Subaru has...in DC's last snow storm....I saw a VERY HIGH percentage of vehicle stuck that were NOT RWD...were Subaru's....mostly Outbacks. Over confidence and lack of driving skill will get you in deep fast...even in a Subaru, in snow, ice, rain, mud, etc.

Anything will get stuck with crappy tires or a dipshit behind the wheel.

I was a tech for over 10 years, the most common theme I saw when it came to tires was, "Whats the cheapest one that fits my car":rolleyes:

I'm in Damascus MD so I know the storm you're taking about.

I live in New England, I had a 2010 Legacy 2.5i I also do a lot of driving about 25k a year. I think I spent a total of 150 dollars at the dealership the first year of ownership. I purchased from a dealership where Oil changes were free. Another dealership in the area offered free tires for life as long as you did all the service at that dealership. I've since traded it in for a 4th gen LGT. Same great AWD I just liked the 4th gen body style better. I found that the 2010 interior was cheap. I know I stepped down a few model years but went with a top of the line limited model with all the options. I found that after a year of heavy driving with the 2010, specifically the interior, trim scuffed very easy, I couldn't run a vacuum hose to clean it with out scratching it up bad. It had the basic trim level. I found from putting my elbow on the center console arm rest left several indentations that did not bounce back. The drivers’ side door trim also had the same indentations, and also I was getting in my car one day and put my hand on the drivers’ side door grip and it broke inside. I also found the paint to be very cheap, it scuffed very easy, with in two months I had a rock chip and dent on the passenger side front that rusted. I was putting a kids bike in the back seat and one of the pegs dropped on the inside trim that dented the metal very easy and wound up rusting. Also the trunk lid wound up looking like hell after a year it was full of scratches. The rocker panel where I’d get in the car was very scuffed up from my shoes even to where the paint had worn off in many places. I had silver with black interior, now I have a 05 LGT Limited with low miles and it has none of those issues, and its 6 years old Paint is still showroom. I don't know how much of this they fixed for 2011 or if the build quality is slightly better on the higher trim levels. If you are talking MPG's the 2010 automatic 2.5i CVT can’t be beat. I do a good mix of highway and city driving and I got a standard 28 mpg every week. Now I get around 20.5 with the LGT. Goes with out saying the LGT is a way better drive. Much sportier, faster, just much more fun to drive. I found the 2010 to be a nice ride but very boring, since I spend a lot of time in my car I wanted something that excited me to drive. The LGT gives me that.

OP before you buy I highly suggest you check out the new Forester. The new 170hp boxer motor is suprisingly peppy and if you look under the hood its AMAZINGLY easy to maintain and see whats going on. The damn oil filter is next to the dipstick even! You only have to go under the car to unscrew and screw back in the drain plug for oil changes. Very sweet IMO.

^ my dad just got one, and he did say it has more pep than my moms '09 Forester. And when he told me about the oil change :eek: that is awesome. I've yet to see under the hood.

BUT it takes 0w50 (IIRC) oil, which around here they could only get through Subaru.... I'm sure it will be more readily available eventually.

Looking into buying my 1st Subie. Already been to the dealership, test drove and threw some numbers around. What I want, they say they have to order and could take up to 5 weeks. Not a problem as I am not in a rush. No deposit was needed since they said selling it would not be a problem either due to configuration.

So after reading as much as possible on the 2011 Legacys, here and elsewhere, not much has been written on reliability. What are some of the common problem areas that seem to come up over and over?

Any sort of info, pros or cons is appreciated...thanks!

Buy a 07-09 LGT. DONT buy a 2.5i as you will hate the power and lack of upgrades power wise. :)

^ my dad just got one, and he did say it has more pep than my moms '09 Forester. And when he told me about the oil change :eek: that is awesome. I've yet to see under the hood.

BUT it takes 0w50 (IIRC) oil, which around here they could only get through Subaru.... I'm sure it will be more readily available eventually.

50 grade SAE !!!! DAMN our New Holland T5000 doesnt need that LOL

The engine bay is enough to make you HATE a LGT. Hell, I have done dozens of honda transplants and I would RATHER work on the new NA subie motor. Hard to believe but true. Everything is exposed and accessable. Pop by a dealer and stare into the engine bay with a grin for 10 minutes.

The low end TQ difference (or maybe tranny?) is definately noticeable and I am a power freak; it is quite good for a 4cyl na!

We learned at a young age on 3-wheelers (tricycle, big wheels, etc.) that FWD sucks - you shouldn't power with only the wheels that you turn with. Been in the Subaru family since 1974. Will not buy another brand. AWD, safety, balance (even out of the box), and long-term reliability are hallmarks of the brand. Maintain them at their normal service intervals (which is much less expensive than other brands that I've followed over the years) and they'll deliver trouble-free miles and put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Yes I love the quirkiness, yes I love the boxer rumble (which BTW you won't get with the 2.5i), yes I love the handling, yes I've been to hell and back in some of my Subes, but most of all, I love the Subaru community of friends who support each other and will drop everything to go help another - in good times and bad. Been driving for a lot of years and have never seen this with any other USDM vehicle.

AFWIW - I'd bet a dime to a doughnut that the Subarus Outbacks that were getting stuck, were on summer or all season tires. AWD is no excuse for ill-equipping your vehicle for real winter conditions and putting yourself at risk of getting stuck.

GL with your vehicle search and hopefully, you'll become a Subaru convert too.

haha that's true about the trike and FWD

Archived