LegacyGT.com

GI: Anyone want a FMIC for your '10 LGT?

Do you '10 LGT guys think you might want a FMIC without hacking up your car?

I'm a vendor on this site and I design and make FMIC setup. This was my first design that I made for XO2. It was made for '05-'06 LGTs http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100630 .

After alot of PM from member requesting a setup for '07+(with airpumps), wouldn't lose foglights, and keep the bumper beam without cutting the beam. So, I designed and produced this new FMIC. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126381

I live out in Carson and if you are willing to come down and let me use your car to make a mock up of a FMIC for '10+ LGTs, I will give you a killer deal. This is open to any local '10 LGTs owner. Thanks, Bryan

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's going to take more than a FMIC to use a WRX/STi style turbo with the 2010 LGT... ;)

If I was on the west coast I'd come help ya out.

oops I forgot. I will take that out.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm curious how you'll route the piping while keeping the stock airbox since there are no intakes available for us yet. Now if there was some way to reverse the intake manifold, you could possibly have a FMIC with less piping than the stock TMIC. :)

Okay, that explains the what and where. What about the why? Why would someone want this? The car already comes with an intercooler.

The OEM one is efficient to stock, Subaru manufactured standards. An aftermarket FMIC (Front Mount Inter-cooler) is possibly larger, deeper and more efficient to sufficiently cool your engine for more modifications to your vehicle :). Just reading the forum and clicking around will yield you more answers.

Okay, that explains the what and where. What about the why? Why would someone want this? The car already comes with an intercooler.

Actually, your 3.6R will NOT have an intercooler. Intercoolers are for turbocharged engines. ;)

I placed an order for a 3.6R with moonroof and nav on September 26th and am still waiting. I haven't heard a word yet.

Dear vendor, not everyone here knows what FMIC is. I certainly don't. Please define your acronyms. If you want sales, people kinda need to understand what it is you have to offer as well as what the benefits and disadvantages are.

Well dear (hopefully) future customer,

I'm sorry. FMIC stands for Front Mount InterCooler. It's a common term in the world of turbos. The basic are the colder the air the more power you can make. If you have a TMIC (Top Mount InterCooler) like your stock setup you can have a problem called heat soak. Because the intercooler sit under the hood on top of a hot engine. The intercooler is only is only cooled by the small slit in your hood. With a FMIC the intercooler is out in front of the engine compartment. The FMIC is wider and have more area exposed to the colder air from the upper and/or lower grill opening. When have a FMIC you can run more boost and make more power. '05 LGTs were rated at 250hp but, real put out about 200 to 220whp. With a FMIC,TBE(turbo back exhuast) and a tune. I made 270whp.

Another problem with the stock TMIC is if you add boost the tanks start to separate. If you have any more questions let me know. You could search the site. Bryan

Here are some pictures.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/122332.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/084142.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/P1060137.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/131551.jpg

Thanks Bryan, back to a serious question. I've driven turbo cars for the past 15 years, and am planning on soon going to an naturally aspirated. What is the technical reason why intercoolers are not used on naturally aspirated? I can only imagine that cooler intake air would boost performance on any type of engine. Is it becasue a turbo is needed to actively pump the air, and that without a turbo an intercooler would be less efficient than not having one, perhaps due to added air flow restrictions? Do supercharged cars use intercoolers?

Actually, I'm getting two ebay chips for a total of an extra 100 hp. I'll be adding a twin turbo setup to the 3.6R, which should give me a cool 450 hp! ;)

Thanks Bryan, back to a serious question. I've driven turbo cars for the past 15 years, and am planning on soon going to an naturally aspirated. What is the technical reason why intercoolers are not used on naturally aspirated? I can only imagine that cooler intake air would boost performance on any type of engine. Is it becasue a turbo is needed to actively pump the air, and that without a turbo an intercooler would be less efficient than not having one, perhaps due to added air flow restrictions? Do supercharged cars use intercoolers?

Lol, god i want to hit you in the face.

Dont forget to buy a hood scoop plug off of eBay, for when you wash your car. Soap does bad things to your intercooler.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

there is no way you are this dumb.

$5 says NASIOC troll.

There are some things I know a lot about and I freely share my knowledge. When I don't know other things, even when it's the basics, I ask. Sometimes I just mess with people. An observation on this as well as other forms is that the people, including vendors, who know a lot about a particular topic easily forget that most people don't understand the technical details or even the basics. When it comes to vendors, I appreciate a good FAQ page that explains the basics.

To answer dude's question, no, I don't understand all the basics.

the main reason that intercoolers arent used on normally aspirated (NA) engines is because they are not needed. Because the non-aircraft grade aluminium used to make intercoolers have extreme sensitivity to common soaps, manufacturers dont want to risk that with 80% of the cars they make. by limiting the cheap aluminum use to turbocharged cars that REALLY need it, they reduce the chance of the intercooler failing because of the averse reaction that the aluminum oxide has with surfactants, the reaction especially dangerous with the harsh soaps found in car washes.

your second question. supercharged cars can sometimes use intercoolers, but they will submerge the intercooler in a liquid (making it a water-air intercooler) to prevent the intrusion of soap from destroying the aluminum. In addition, since supercharged cars are usually nicer and more expensive, their water-air intercoolers are fitted with a super encabulator (where SUPERcharger comes from)that will actively remove surfactants and purify the water that cools the intercooler. Because this is expensive, many supercharged cars do not have a method to cool the compressed air and it gets dumped straight into the engine, reducing lag but also reducing effeciency. This is the main reason why cheap american companies would rather supercharge their cars than turbocharge them like the europeans do. its all in the cost cutting... and we wonder why they fail.

most of this was taught to me by a very helpful member on these boards, rao. unlike the rest of these guys, i'm just trying to pass on knowledge. i hope these answers are of help. :spin:

I think I just LOL'ed at that.

the main reason that intercoolers arent used on normally aspirated (NA) engines is because they are not needed. Because the non-aircraft grade aluminium used to make intercoolers have extreme sensitivity to common soaps, manufacturers dont want to risk that with 80% of the cars they make. by limiting the cheap aluminum use to turbocharged cars that REALLY need it, they reduce the chance of the intercooler failing because of the averse reaction that the aluminum oxide has with surfactants, the reaction especially dangerous with the harsh soaps found in car washes.

your second question. supercharged cars can sometimes use intercoolers, but they will submerge the intercooler in a liquid (making it a water-air intercooler) to prevent the intrusion of soap from destroying the aluminum. In addition, since supercharged cars are usually nicer and more expensive, their water-air intercoolers are fitted with a super encabulator (where SUPERcharger comes from)that will actively remove surfactants and purify the water that cools the intercooler. Because this is expensive, many supercharged cars do not have a method to cool the compressed air and it gets dumped straight into the engine, reducing lag but also reducing effeciency. This is the main reason why cheap american companies would rather supercharge their cars than turbocharge them like the europeans do. its all in the cost cutting... and we wonder why they fail.

most of this was taught to me by a very helpful member on these boards, rao. unlike the rest of these guys, i'm just trying to pass on knowledge. i hope these answers are of help. :spin:

Haha! I just shat myself!:lol:

i forgot to mention, a very small reason why aftermarket TMICs and FMICs are so popular is because they dont hold back on the materials and are usually made of superior, non corrosive alloy of Al. /troof

honestly now: although i dont know itsme personally, from his work and dedication i can tell that he cares alot for the aftermarket community and i know that he uses the best materials he can find to create the best product for us, the enthusiasts. i will be looking at his FMIC for my 06 after the new year because i know, for sure, that his intercooler is soap and heat soak resistant. i'm glad to hear that he's expanding his work to the new '10s as well.

sorry for the thread jack. :redface:

Archived