LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfire codes (warning)

lawl

Just a warning if you're past 50k miles and you get P0303 or similar cylinder misfire codes (and misfire symptoms), I would recommend you NOT go to the dealer.

Why?

Powertrain warrantee does not seem to cover the common culprits- spark plugs/coil packs. How this makes sense I dont know. I dont know why anyone would consider spark plugs not part of the powertrain. If you remove it the car won't run.

Also the state emissions warrantee is up to 50k only. That would have covered the spark plugs. And by 50k the bumper to bumper is long gone.

Total cost of spark plug replacement at dealership is about 260 dollars. I gave in and had it done at the dealership only because I wanted the car back ASAP. No such luck as driving back from the dealership the CEL popped up again. Now i have to wait for coilpack. (Which, by the way, is 190 dollars including install)

I would have been better off taking the car to a shop somewhere and having them do all of those things for probably half the price the dealership charged. but i was stupid.

hope you learn from my mistake. cheers

car for sale. PM me!

I agree with you that misfires aren't covered past 50K but I'm pretty sure that federal emissions requires that emissions warranty go out to 8 years / 80K.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

oops i meant my particular part. I think cats and certain other emissions parts are covered but not spark plugs

there are more than 2 emissions warrantees

car for sale. PM me!

spark plugs, are part of the ignition system and are considered a wearable item. the emissions system is the cats, charcole canister, fuel cap and attached vacume lines.

wearable items: brake pads, tires, belts, hoses, bulbs, wiper blades, clutch assy, and fluids excluding engine oil and trans and diff fluid/gear oil. are covered 3yr/36k.

sorry to hear the stealership bit you on the ass.

Make sure you keep your receipts...when your dealership finally figures out that it is a bad injector they can reimburse you for the plugs and coil pack that didn't need, and didn't cure the problem.

Plus the plugs aren't recomended to be changed until 60k, so if they were needed before that, I would call 1-800-SUBARU3 and tell them that you feel you shouldn't have to pay for a factory installed item that failed before it's recomended change interval...and bring up that changing the plugs didn't solve the problem you brought it in for and that now you have to go back to the dealer for them to try again.

thank you guys for your input. I'll keep that stuff in mind. The coilpack did have signs of wear though. Supposedly it had a burn mark on it from "arc-ing"

If the coilpack doesnt work out I'm going to SOA and see what they can do for me.

Spending that much money chasing a well documented (and in all seriousness... a should-be-covered-under-warrantee) issue is ridiculous.

especially since 4 thousand miles ago it woulda been free.

Well hope it works out. If it doesnt SoA is getting a piece of my mind.

car for sale. PM me!

by the way, are fuel injectors covered under powertrain warranty?

BTW because I've been spelling it wrong this whole time.

warranty singular. warranties plural.

car for sale. PM me!

I will call SOA monday, when i find out what's going on with my car.

it could be as i expected (will still complain) or it could be worse and injectors need replacement (more ammo to complain about)

either way i think i can put together a good case. They also charged me an extra 40 dollars before I had them refund it...

Sleazebags :)

seriously though after hearing all of the stories on the forums there should be some kind of recall.

i know even with getting OEM parts the same parts will fail within 50k miles, so what's the freaking point?

Should I ask for an extended warrantee, or free 60k mile service, or....?

car for sale. PM me!

Update: It wasnt the spark plug and it wasnt the coilpack. They didnt charge for coilpack... but the spark plugs were going to be swapped out at 60k anyway.

They refuse to follow my advice and check the injectors. Basically they insulted my intelligence and then told me they were going to open the valve cover and check the valves and do compression and leakdown test.

The tear down won't cost me anything but I know they're just wasting their time..

Is there anything I can do? input?

Also since now they think it's a powertrain issue maybe I can get a loaner...

car for sale. PM me!

I called SOA. SoA dude in turn calls the manager of the service department. It looks like now they're testing injectors. (no sh*t) No teardown of engine until it's known for sure that the injector is fine.

SoA guy was pretty cool. Didnt get any sort of compensation yet but he said he's working on it.

They've been testing it this afternoon so I'll know later today what they've found out.

car for sale. PM me!

Imagine that! Are they going to refund your money?

negative... seeing as how they would have to be replaced in 5,000 miles anyway they're not going to refund it. nor did i expect them to. I'm asking subaru to give me a significant discount on the 60k service though. maybe even free.

Do I need any parts other than the injectors to do the install? oil rings, plastics, etc?

car for sale. PM me!

Archived