LegacyGT.com

Changing instrument cluster on a 95 Legacy L from Canadian to US

Easy as cake to do this. Just go to a junk yard and buy a gauge cluster and hook it up and you're done

That's the easy part lol, I bet getting the dash apart will be anything but easy.

This is going to be my first Subaru and I'm chomping at the bit to drive it but I imagine the km/hr will be enough of an annoyance to warrant me doing it.

How involved is it to turn the dials to set the correct mileage?

Thanks

• I Donated

Nope. Its super easy to do.

There are 4 screws (two top and two bottom) that hold the piece of trim on in front of the gauges. Take those 4 screws out and then pull the trim piece off. Then there are 4 screws holding on the gauge cluster assembly that you take out, then the whole thing pulls right out. There are 3 wiring connectors on the back that you have to unplug, and you can't get the cluster out very far before you do...You can just get it out far enough to get your hand back there to unplug them....then it will come all the way out.

It can be done in 5 minutes.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

it should be plug and play. no woires to worry about. the tach is fed off of the ECU which is already connected to the cluster. so just bolt in the tach and go.

the speedo has a separate wire connector but not the tach.

the hard part is working the cluster out of the opening, you have to get the steering wheel just so.

on the top of the odo, there is a rod with rotating pins. these pins only rotate one direction and they lock the numbers in place.

using a pick tool pry up one end of the rod, left end. this will free up the numbers on that end. (i leave the other end of the rod in place and only lift it high enough to rotate the numbers on that end.) rotate the numbers to what you want. then snap the rod back in place. get the mileage within 1,000 miles and call it a day.

be sure the numbers, digits, are all positioned correctly. i think they can be off a bit and still locked in. and if it happens to be the 100k digit, you may have to wait a really long time for it to rotate and snap into the next correct position.

to the original poster, don't forget to convert km to miles and use that number on the ''new'' odo. ans of course the new number is going to be lower than the old one. this will likely pop a TMU (true miles unknown) title the next time it is registered.

That's awesome! How about getting the odometer to read correctly? Or is it possible to dismantle the cluster and insert the tach, leaving the original odometer.

just bolt the tach into the old cluster.

be careful with the plastic ''tabs'' on the clear lexan cover. they snap off pretty easily.

• 1 year later...
I do believe this is my first post and i will use it to say thanks. I gonna go put in my new cluster i just got in from e'bay. My friend said it'll take 15mins i read above 5mins. If im lucky ill be done in a hour. Ha Ha thanks again for the info.

Archived