LegacyGT.com

Looking for input - Upgrading Suspension w/o Lowering - Spring Options?

Lumberjacked

So im in the market to replace some suspension components on my '07 legacy. I've done alot of reading here on the suspension forum about different set-ups that people are sporting. Now that my stock set up is giving me all kinds of rattle/boaty ride feeling (115K Miles) I am looking at replacing some bushings, endlinks, as well as the struts.

By the sounds of it, KYB struts are cheap to buy, and you get what you pay for - that is, OEM quality struts that are prone to failing prematurely. As such, I have resolved to buying Koni's given their advantages being lifetime warranted, adjustable, and rebuildable. Now as for springs, I am NOT looking to lower my legacy. Infact, I like the stock ride height, I live in the country (potholes!) and we get a lot of snow, so I'm happy with some ground clearance. Given this, is there any point to upgrading to different springs then stock? What are my options for aftermarket springs which maintain stock ride height? Also, after 115K Miles, are my stock springs in need of replacement? would I be foolish to re-use them? Im kind of new to the suspension stuff - so any help would be appreciated.

Also in addition to new endlinks and swaybar bushings, are there any other worthwhile parts I should consider replacing? Perhaps someone out there who has gone through this process could shed some light on all the different parts I should be buying since everything will be apart anyways?

Thanks!

I am on oem springs with bilsteins HD's and love it. I live in western ny and see plenty of snow and potholes. If I were you I would replace my end links with moogs you can get front and rear for under 50 dollars. They are like beefed up oem end links so you shouldn't get any extra noise some solid end links make.

I am still slightly curious however, does anything such as a performance non-lowering spring exist for our cars? Something a little stiffer maybe? More heavy duty. Whenever I load my legacy up either with passengers or gear when going on trips, the rear end always sits noticeably low (although all cars do that to a certain extent.)

• Moderators
You could also explore the option of using Outback-spec springs with aftermarket LGT struts. The springs are taller, so you essentially preload them when installed on LGT struts, making them a stiffer spring. I don't actually know if you'll get *increased* height with this setup, but you certainly wouldn't lose any ride height and the back would get a bit more rake to it from the wagon springs.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^Since it is effectively the same chassis, yes, Outback springs on a Legacy would give you Outback ride height, which is pretty high.

Looks like Primitive sells King. Choice of stock or lifted. Shoot them an email.

• Moderators
^Since it is effectively the same chassis, yes, Outback springs on a Legacy would give you Outback ride height, which is pretty high.

No, I don't believe that's correct. A full outback swap including struts would give you outback height. Just swapping the springs would do what I said it would--might increase the height some, would help saggy butt syndrome, and would result in preloaded stock springs for a bit of a performance benefit.

Someone ran the setup with konis, I'll see if I can dig it up--they were very happy with the ride.

Message sent to Primitive inquiring about that application. Thanks for the info everyone! Curious to know if these OB King's would work in my Legacy for the rear http://www.rallitek.com/KING-SPRINGS-RALLYLOAD-SUSPENSION-98+-OUTBACK/p-4714

Also BarMan if you find that thread, please post! I did a search to no avail - would be an interesting read to find out if this set-up is right for me.

You would need to custom order springs if you wanted a stiffer spring, without going lower. Alternatively, you could go with a mild lowering spring with a stiffer rate, and install a spacer to cancel out part of the lift. For example, if you got around an inch of drop, and used a half inch spacer, you have a negligible change in height. If you're not worried about cost: go for custom springs. I just spent a couple weeks trying to figure this out myself. I ended up going lower for simplicity.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the loss of ride height?

Primitive got back to me - looks as though King makes standard height heavy duty rear springs at $250/pair but no front springs are available - Definitely something to consider. A moderate lowering spring with spacer is also another route to looks through - or even just a moderate lowering spring in general.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the loss of ride height?

I'm not crazy about lowering the ride height for a few reasons - these cars are pretty low to begin with, and I live in the country where it is not uncommon for a foot of snow to sit on my road for a few days before getting plowed - and I still need to get to work in the morning - So given the fact that I've already had the car hung up on compacted snow with all fours spinning, I think lowering the car would be counter productive. Not to mention pot-holes etc. Furthermore there is about 40km of of twisty windy hilly rough logging road to get to my ususal vacation destination. I'm not crazy about the look either - in my mind, Subaru's are rally cars, they're meant to have some height to them - just my 2 cents.

• Moderators
I just can't seem to find the post about outback springs on LGT struts, but I think you'll be really happy with that setup--cheap springs (outback stockers), nice struts, and you get a bit more ride height and a ton more performance between the aftermarket struts (konis) and the preloaded springs.

• Mega Users
I have pinks with tokico struts and spec b tophats in the front. The rears are tokico struts with stock springs and 3/8" saggy butt spacers. Kind of a bastardized set up but the ride height is very stock-like. The rear is sightly higher rather than being slightly lower.

I have pinks with tokico struts and spec b tophats in the front. The rears are tokico struts with stock springs and 3/8" saggy butt spacers. Kind of a bastardized set up but the ride height is very stock-like. The rear is sightly higher rather than being slightly lower.

That is quite the involved set-up! Kudos! I've read up on the saggy butt spacers and they seem like a great option to deal with that awkward stance.

I've done some more reading into the outback stock set-up and I am starting to like this idea - it's cost effective and it seems as though it'll get me exactly what I'm looking for - any suggestions on where to source them from?

Also in terms of other components - I plan on doing sway bar bushings, LCA bushings and ball joints, endlinks, and obviously strutmounts as well to make everything tight again - Any particular brands that folks here have had success with? I've already been suggested MOOG endlinks which look well reviewed and well priced - also have been suggested Whiteline bushings - Not looking to break the bank on top of the line components - that said I don't want junk either.

Archived