LegacyGT.com

0T0s Cheap race car build

Hey everyone, havent been on in a while cause I sold my 99 LGT. I became a total sellout and bought a 2011 wrx instead... My LGT was a great car but I just felt like it was time for me to get into something new for a while.

I know I could bring this to another forum but I know people here are very knowledgeable. Anyway.... my new project is building a cheap race car that I can use for a bit of rally cross. By its very nature a car that will be abused wont be very cheap so I speak relatively haha. The car I have in mind is a 92 Legacy 2.2 that was free and it runs so not a bad start I think.

I plan on pretty much rebuilding it so it can be reliable, but at the same time take the opportunity to give it as much extra power as I can. I would hope to keep it simple cause simple equals less money and time (typically). I know I'm not going to get 300hp out of a 20 year old OB1 2.2, I just want to do what I can with it even if thats not much.

Keep in mind its going to be a true race car. It doesnt have to be street legal, I'm completely open to any ideas. I already have the interior totally stripped, I'm going to have an off road intake made and a strait pipe exhaust. Also shopping around for a place to make me a roll cage.

My current thoughts: well I was thinking keeping the head and intake from the 2.2 and swapping out for a 2.5 block for an increase in compression (251 or 25D?). Unless I could do quite a bit with what I have. My only other thought was a low pressure turbo build but I really like the idea of a responsive NA.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

EDIT: Oh and some pics of my other cars, Ill post a pic of the 92 later tonight if I can. (I also have a 78 Lincoln Continental)

http://i.imgur.com/yvc0tl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4R1iGl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0uNGRl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zi81Rl.jpg

Yeah i have been tossing around suspension ideas. I was probably just going to go with some wrx suspension. I wouldnt want to lift it unless I could keep the rebound pretty stiff. Skid plates are a good idea. For wheels I was thinking some stock forester 5 spoke steel wheels, but I will look into those BRAID wheels. As far as paint I was just going to rustoleum the whole thing.... or bedliner haha, something tough that will never fade.

As far as the motor, NA. There's no reason to go turbo with this car. Find a 99 2.5 bottom end. It has Phase 2 internals and Phase 1 pistons. It won't fail you like a 25D bottom end would. If you want, rebuild the lower end with ACL race bearings, crank and rods. That will give you the utmost reliability.

On top of that, some porting of the heads and intake would be a good idea. Look into some cam regrinds as well.

The 99 is not a 251, it is still a 25D. The motor as a whole anyway.. It's a 251 bottom end with 25D pistons, 25D heads, intake, etc...

The 2000 and up 2.5 Phase 2 motors have different pistons that are closer in design and volume of the 96 Pistons. You don't want to go that route as the compression will be too high and you will need more upgrades and engine management.

The 99 is not a 251, it is still a 25D. The motor as a whole anyway.. It's a 251 bottom end with 25D pistons, 25D heads, intake, etc...

The 2000 and up 2.5 Phase 2 motors have different pistons that are closer in design and volume of the 96 Pistons. You don't want to go that route as the compression will be too high and you will need more upgrades and engine management.

I disagree...

I just put an 251 with 257 headgaskets and 25d heads. It runs great and has good power. I did not need to do anything special to make it work either. I am around 10.5:1 compression.

I disagree...

I just put an 251 with 257 headgaskets and 25d heads. It runs great and has good power. I did not need to do anything special to make it work either. I am around 10.5:1 compression.

I agree with what you are saying. My plan is exactly that but with thinner gaskets for around 11.5:1 compression. It's been my plan for a while now as it seems like the perfect motor.

BUT

He has a 2.2 top end. Example: Baddog's motor.

I see, what kind of compression would the 25d pistons have compared to the phase 2?

Yeah I would really like to keep things simple.

Probably about 10.5:1 or so. That's what everyone estimates using 0.030 gaskets anyways.. Phase 2 would put you closer to the 12:1 range. At least, I am assuming that based off of the math I did to figured out that Baddog's motor is about that and he has a 2.2 top end on a 96 2.5 with the pistons similar to the 251 pistons.

97 to 99 pistons are different. They have a larger -volume

I agree with what you are saying. My plan is exactly that but with thinner gaskets for around 11.5:1 compression. It's been my plan for a while now as it seems like the perfect motor.

BUT

He has a 2.2 top end. Example: Baddog's motor.

Probably about 10.5:1 or so. That's what everyone estimates using 0.030 gaskets anyways.. Phase 2 would put you closer to the 12:1 range. At least, I am assuming that based off of the math I did to figured out that Baddog's motor is about that and he has a 2.2 top end on a 96 2.5 with the pistons similar to the 251 pistons.

97 to 99 pistons are different. They have a larger -volume

Alright so if I got a custom head gasket that was just slightly thicker than "thick" I could use a newer engine and get around an 11:1 compression ratio. 11 is what I was really aiming for. I think I could run premium with an 11:1 with no problems.

Ah I should have read...

Good link I have saved from NASIOC with a bunch of info

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823120

That is a good link. Thanks you, and thanks for everyone's information.

So here is where I'm sitting right now.

Reuse 2.2 intake and heads

Try for a 98-99 2.5 from the 2.5rs

Alternative use post 99 with custom head gasket

Grind cams for 2.2 head

Anything else I should be doing to this engine while its out? I'm open to any ideas. Really trying to do as much as I can that is within reasonable money.

Thinking stock 06-08 WRX suspension, perhaps on forester or outback springs? (that will all bolt up the the old legacys im assuming)

Front/Rear endlinks

The biggest rear sway I can find

Also is there a cheap LSD that can be had in the Subaru world?

do the 3rd gen limiteds have an lsd then? or a 99 with a phase 2 4eat?

No I dont belive any of the 2nd gen legacys have one. I think the SS 1st gen legacy has one but I bet thats pretty hard to come by.

Ill have to see if any of the 3rd gens have one. Perhaps the 3.0 outback has one.

No I dont belive any of the 2nd gen legacys have one. I think the SS 1st gen legacy has one but I bet thats pretty hard to come by.

Ill have to see if any of the 3rd gens have one. Perhaps the 3.0 outback has one.

The outback with the H6 has an LSD iirc

Just make sure to keep the same FD ratio.

The old SS LSD's were 3.9's I believe.

You can get one off a 2000-02 Legacy with the winter package and all the 03-04's have them as standard equipment. IIRC

4.11's however

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Add what the first reply advised and run it as is in stock class. That's your best bet.

Here's a budget builder and a buddy did for under 1500

http://www.socalsubies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18323

If you want more in depth, here is my BD build for m4

http://www.socalsubies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11169

I would highly suggest looking up class rules and building to a set of rules for the class you want to race and remember the more you modify, the more difficult of a class you'll run. A motor swap will pitch you straight into modified against log booked rally cars and fully prepped rally x cars. I believe rear diff would put you in prep class. More info on this at dirtyimpreza.

Archived