LegacyGT.com

Front end vibration

brooklynadam

Sorry for probably not posting this in the correct forum but for the 3rd time I'm taking my 2010 3.6 R in for the front end vibration that is a known issue. Dealer is now telling me there is a new procedure for road force balancing the tires (did I mention this was done on both sets of tires) i doubt this will work and the dealer is reluctant to install the spring/gel pack that is also part of the bulletin.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with either the gel pack or the new road force balancing procedure?

Thanks for all your help

There's a lot of info in the 5th gen area and also at subaruoutback.org. There may be several posts specific to your question.

Also , if you had the dealer RFB the tires prior to the TSB, they may want to do it again to log the needed info.

Everyone, I have just filed a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety) and urge you all to do the same. If Subaru and the dealerships cannot fix the issue and some or all of you want to apply the lemon law, you need to file a complaint with NHTSA to help you & other Legacy owners.

Here is the link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

Please let me know if you have or will be filling out a complaint.

Thanks,

Adam

Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: *****

Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database. NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends. Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

If you have any questions regarding this complaint, please contact ODI:

• By phone: 1-888-327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM Monday-Friday
    TTY: 1-888-424-9153
    Have your ODI Number available.
    (Spanish-speaking operators available)
  • By e-mail: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm
    Indicate your ODI Number in the contact form.

Thank you,

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

<snip>

Dealer is now telling me there is a new procedure for road force balancing the tires (did I mention this was done on both sets of tires)

<snip>

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with either the gel pack or the new road force balancing procedure?

Thanks for all your help

As soon as you mentioned Road Force Balancing, it reminded me of what my dealer tried to do for my '98 Legacy.

Basically, they sold me a set of wheels that were out-of-round, and tried to correct it by offsetting the out-of-roundness of the tires from the out-of-roundness of the wheels to balance things out. That's Road Force Balancing. It didn't work.

Try different wheels (or rotate the rears to the front), you may have at least one that's not perfectly round that's causing the vibration.

Archived