LegacyGT.com

Oh, the memories.

I've had many a car since my 05 LGT wagon, and none of them have been like it.

I went on Craigslist and looked up some GT's and found "Subie"!

I found my old car! If anyone remembers, last December and January I made a thousand posts asking what was wrong with the car. I thought it was the timing belt, but I guess it was just the turbo!

The question is, why would the (second) turbo blow at 1500 miles?

And should I try to get it back, or would it be a long road of new turbos?

someone didn't do what they were supposed to when they installed the new turbo, alot of times the oil lines get clogged, banjo bolts etc and then new turbo is installed with clogged oil passage and booommmm goes the new turbo.

if someone knows what they are doing they will figure out why the 2nd turbo blew, I know a guy who was on his 3rd turbo when he decided to see why the turbos kept going out as they didnt seem defective ( OEM subaru ) and found the oil didnt have a clear passage.

Buy new or rebuilt turbo

Buy new turbo side OCI

Buy upgraded oil lines to turbo

Replace coolant hoses to turbo

Replace vacuum hoses to turbo

Brand new setup that should last you many miles.

My wife's balls are delicious.

How much metal is in the oil pan ?

You will need to drop the oil pan and check. worst case it needs a new short block and rebuilt heads.

Dose it need a clutch too.

Figure about 7000 to have it done right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I found my old car! If anyone remembers, last December and January I made a thousand posts asking what was wrong with the car. I thought it was the timing belt, but I guess it was just the turbo!

Run far away!

Two blown turbo's like that means that the turbo replacement did't get the oil lines properly cleaned, etc. There's a decent chance that an engine rebuild will be needed in short order.

Realistically, its at a used car lot for $12k. Its very likely going to need ~$7k worth of work in under a year. The used lot will NEVER give you a huge discount unless the engine is already blown. Its far easier for them to sell it to some sucker. Don't be that sucker.

Roche, I seem to recall, didn't you have a thread saying good bye.

I hate to say... well, not really, didn't we tell you not to sell your car ?

Or was that someone else ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Roche, I seem to recall, didn't you have a thread saying good bye.

I hate to say... well, not really, didn't we tell you not to sell your car ?

Or was that someone else ?

I think I did have a thread saying goodbye, but I didn't sell it. It was repo'd :eek: I'll ask them what was replaced

Buy new or rebuilt turbo

Buy new turbo side OCI

Buy upgraded oil lines to turbo

Replace coolant hoses to turbo

Replace vacuum hoses to turbo

Brand new setup that should last you many miles.

Sorry, noob question here. What is OCI? Usually when I see OCI it means Oil Change Interval, but that doesn't make sense in this context. Are you talking about the Oil Control Valve?

Drove right by that dealer 3 weeks ago. I almost bought "your" car:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

wait, you had it repo'd and think they would finance you to buy it again?

parents credit?

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• 2 years later...
wait, you had it repo'd and think they would finance you to buy it again?

parents credit?

I have a 2009 Ford Escape with only 80k miles I was going to trade.

This car, unbelievably, is STILL for sale at the same dealer, and is only $3k less. I was thinking of trading my Escape in for it, but they first have to tell me where the turbo was replaced so I can get a list of all work performed. I can't imagine why it's still for sale...

Yeah. I'm really surprised. Either it's a complete mess or nobody has bought it and they hung on to it because it's that good :lol: I'm going to find out if the turbo was replaced properly. I did have to drive it when my wife was in labor with the bad turbo, for about 60 miles. I'm wondering if that could have ruined the motor.

I talked to the mechanic there who is also a senior mechanic at a Subaru dealer. He told me he replaced the head gaskets, timing belt+water pump and pulleys, PCV system, turbo and both union bolts. He also told me there were no metal shavings in the motor at all.

I'm looking at it Saturday and we'll see.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the turbo was blown. I never had smoke or oil loas, there was no whining or any noises. A day before it wouldn't accelerate with WOT and had random bursts of full power and the turbo kicked in, the CEL was on for "camshaft sensor out of range" or something similar. I wonder if that's what was wrong?

• 1 month later...

I was going to buy it back (had a 100k mile 5yr warranty) but I was too late. It's gone now. If anyone knows the whereabouts of it I'd love to know. It was bought at PB's Auto Village in Hampton Falls, NH. :(

Well 2016 CR-V, here I come :lol:

Good car. Thinking of getting one of them too. Once I get tired of constantly fixing my dual money pits, I mean 05lgts. A Honda or Toyota sounds so good to me right now.

Never thought I'd like it but I really did. My first choice is still a LGT, if I can get an extended warranty. I found a one owner '06 with 60k miles. :)

They stopped answering :lol: too bad.

I did find a 2005 Legacy 2.5i for only $3k. Trying to get that instead!

You are going to be extremely disappointed getting a 2.5i after having a GT :lol:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• I Donated Too

I was. So I bought a second GT while my first was off the road and why I now have three Gen 4 Legacy cars.

I saw that red wagon for sale for ages on Craigslist and Autotrader... It had 'STAY AWAY' all over it... those capital letters were spelt out in the ads as "BRAND NEW TURBO" - Whoever did buy it may well show up on this forum looking for advice when things start going wrong.

Archived