LegacyGT.com

iPod Install using Drive + Play

obxt

I installed a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play last week. I used Jazzy’s Aux Input board which works great! Overall I’m very happy with the unit, but the interface does not exactly duplicate the iPod interface. Some of the limitations are:

• Responsiveness is a bit sluggish
  • The outer ring of the controller is not a wheel, as on the iPod, just a 3 position switch (Reverse-Off-Forward) with no variable speed, and not nearly as smooth as the ipod wheel.
  • No good way to navigate through very long Audiobooks or Podcasts.
  • You can’t play “All” songs from a single artist as on the iPod; you can only play all the songs from a single album.
  • Doesn’t display time remaining for songs, or indicate how far into the track you are.
  • No direct access to Podcast or Audiobook list as on the ipod – must go through genre.
  • No access to iPod “extras” such as contacts or calendar.

On the plus side, the idea of having the controller and display separated works very well, and is safer than controlling the iPod directly. It automatically starts/stops with the ignition switch and “remembers” where the ipod was paused, even if it was playing through headphones or other speakers when it was paused. Also, the extra aux input will be useful for anyone who wants to also install a Satellite radio,etc. Overall, it still seems to be the best iPod integration for the Subaru, allows browsing all music, and it sounds great.

The display is permanently mounted in the cubby. It sits to the left, I can still easily slip a pair of sunglasses behind it, and the door still closes fine. I cut away a section of the top of the cubby using a coping saw and files. I removed the mounting bracket supplied with the unit, and instead used a pair of #4-40 screws to attach the display to the bottom of the cubby. I drilled the holes very carefully by hand, putting through holes in the cubby and tapped threads in the display. I ran the wire out through the top. I also disconnected the cubby light, and removed the annoying yellow warning sticker. I may disassemble the display unit, and make a custom bezel which integrates better with the Subaru interior styling.

The electronics enclosure sits behind the cubby, and I ran wires to the fuse box area for power. I went ahead and plugged in an extra cable to the “Aux in” jack, and ran it into the glove box, so I can connect an XM, Computer, or whatever in the future. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s supposed to be “auto sensing”, so it will automatically switch to the aux in whenever there’s a signal.

The controller is mounted to the lower right of the gearshift, using the 0 degree mount supplied. I used the double sided tape supplied with the kit, which holds it very securely. The wire runs out the rear of the base, and slips under the edge of the plastic center unit. I cut a small notch (not visible) in the underside of the plastic to prevent the wire from getting pinched. Unfortunately, the area for the mounting flange is a little tight, and it slightly overhangs the gear shift boot. I may make a custom mount with a smaller base in the future. I’m also curious if it’s possible to replace the blue light in the controller with a red one (I’m guessing it’s just an LED) which would match the other console lights.

I ran the iPod connector into the armrest storage bin. I had to drill a 15/32 hole for the connector to pass through. I may replace the connector with an actual iPod dock to make it easier to connect and keep it from floating around in the bin.

I still would like to have a better way to switch to the iPod input, ideally using the “hidden” SAT switch on the factory HU and not requiring the blank CD,. I know Jazzy’s working on a next generation interface board, and there are a couple other threads addressing this issue:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18870http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21047)

For now Jazzy’s board is a very good non destructive solution.

Here are some pics of the install:

Console.jpg.cee1d7662ced26465e64a1c3e2526daa.jpg

Controller.jpg.b92f4273cec495aae0675402a73cafad.jpg

286069980_Display1.JPG.0f7c1e32deb754a4d3005cbd261b537b.JPG

959944825_Display2.JPG.63f357af97f628d3ee04d16692fac76c.JPG

1121042556_Display3.JPG.032d4a198fc6de2a2d79426ee61235a2.JPG

638633980_ElectronicsEnclosure.JPG.14552da21fcb210bf9d003a6ce76d1c5.JPG

Connector.JPG.31634ee88559501cc18e49dc759c64a0.JPG

IPod.JPG.8b3e6c9092cfbf5b146edce9b2539554.JPG

All I can say is...you must be a machinist :) Very nice install. If I had an iPod I would def consider using this slick little device.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

All I can say is...you must be a machinist :) Very nice install. If I had an iPod I would def consider using this slick little device.

Quick everyone, lets buy jazzy an ipod so he can get working on his version 2 board with the display and controls interface.

And nice setup obxt, very impressive.

My hero! I am placing my order today for the HK...I have Jazzy's board and will install them all together. Questions: are you able to close the cubby door? Did you consider mounting and hardwiring the controller unit where it is now?:) Thanks for the great write up!

Yes, the door closes just fine. I will probably run the controller wire through a hole in the console after I make a smaller custom base for it. I'll probably still use the double stick tape to mount it - it's amazingly strong.

Thanks for the great writeup -- I have been hoping someone would try this out! Nice work too.

FWIW, most of the iPod interfaces are slow -- I believe it's due to the serial interface of the iPod dock connector or something.

I'm thinking I might install one of these too.

Craig

Great install and review. I'm also going with the HK Drive+Play. In my opinion, it's the best option for an iPod connection. While there'll never be a device that works as good as the actual iPod for browsing the music, I think this one comes pretty damn close. The only odd thing is that you mentioned you can't play all songs by an artist, it just seems like that should work.

• 1 month later...

heybige,

If the SEARCH button is omniscient, no one needs ever post questions again, since all questions have been asked, and should never be repeated... or is that the case? Additionally, why assume that someone has NOT already conducted a search before posing a question? Let's not be condescending without first obtaining relevant information; then again, perhaps one should never be condescending? I like the latter.

Pathung - philosophy aside, you've asked several questions on this topic. I personally have tried helping you with this. The answers are out there.

If my assumption that you haven't searched is wrong, I apologize.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

• 3 months later...
dood OBXT you rock! I have a Drive+Play in the box that I got for Xmas. I've wasn't sure how well it would fit in the cubby, nor how much I had to cut. your pics are awesome, as well as the quote about the double sticky tape. I'm leasing my GT so i have to be careful about holes n stuff. Can wait for the weekend, im gonna finally install that thing!!

ya, i saw yours and liked it alot. Nice work. I sent the pics of yours to my friend that works at JBL (parent of HK, and now you know you gave me the D+P ;-) ). But I also like the cubby for stashing stuff in. I was thinking of something like yours, but off to the side, leaving the right side of the cubby open. but if i make it too complicated, i know what will happen... i'll get lazy and not do it. :-/

I've been considering the HK D&P also. I have an FM transmitter, but I've found its fidelity and volume capabilities unsatisfactory, especially when I usually play Green Day at sub-woofer enhanced car bouncing volume levels.

My upper "cubby" is already taken by the Perfomance Gauge Pack, so I have a bit of a dillema regading the display placement. I'd really rather not clutter up the dash with add-ons.

I played around (just holding the display) and it would work pretty good on the headliner near the mirror. Kind of a heads -way- up mount. I was thinking I could get it to fit right above and just a hair behind the mirror.

But then I think about hiding the wire, and i go back to the cubby idea. If you're less lazy than me, it looks like a good option.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for bump of old thread - the HK Drive + Play is on sale at Crutchfield right now for $100 and they throw in the wired transmitter for free. $100 was the price for me, figured it might be the same for others.

Leftride and obxt - excellent installs. I'll def be using them as a guide.

i had the D+P took it out and did this. have since taken electrical tape off looks better. charges i-pod, controls easy to use. jazzy aux> david navone (charger)> pro clip (holder) > i-pod, done. bosco

IMG_0805.thumb.jpg.75e2516882120061233ca28a480e1917.jpg

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived