LegacyGT.com

changing front/rear diff fluid

Going to get 2 qts of royal purple 75w-90, my questions is though, can i use this same oil for front and rear diff? and any hints or advice welcomed, first time doing this ever. its a 99 2.5gt

Yes same for both. Just to warn you the drain plugs are hard to get off. For the rear, open the top first. If you open the bottom, drain the fluid, and can't open the top you have a problem.

I used my legs to open the drain plus, other people use a breaker bar or a jack. Yes, that tight!

I used a drain plug socket (?) on the rear, others just ratchet.

If you do not already know, diff fluid stinks and will not come out of your clothes.

Yes same for both. Just to warn you the drain plugs are hard to get off. For the rear, open the top first. If you open the bottom, drain the fluid, and can't open the top you have a problem.

I used my legs to open the drain plus, other people use a breaker bar or a jack. Yes, that tight!

I used a drain plug socket (?) on the rear, others just ratchet.

If you do not already know, diff fluid stinks and will not come out of your clothes.

Thanks for the heads up, what do you mean drain plug socket?

Not sure on the correct term.

If your drain plugs are the same as mine there is a indented square rather than a raised hex like you have with the oil drain plug. I bought a "socket" to fit this specifically ($15 at harbor frieght for a pack). I think a standard half inch ratched (no socket) fits also but not perfectly. If you stick your head under the car you will see what I mean.

Not sure on the correct term.

If your drain plugs are the same as mine there is a indented square rather than a raised hex like you have with the oil drain plug. I bought a "socket" to fit this specifically ($15 at harbor frieght for a pack). I think a standard half inch ratched (no socket) fits also but not perfectly. If you stick your head under the car you will see what I mean.

oh ok i know what you mean, yeah i saw those, just wasnt sure what they were called. Thanks again. Oh and how do i know how much to fill in the rear diff? Should i just fill it until some starts to come out of the fill plug?

For the rear diff: By drain plug socket. He means half inch drive breaker bar with no socket on it. To get break the plugs loose first put a half inch drive extension into the plug and rap on the back side with a hammer.

On the 4eat the front differential is in a different casing and uses different fluid from the actual transmission. Make sure you know which drain plug you are looking and which fill point / dip stick.

that looks like it, although it is hard to tell. The dipstick is on the passanger side (IIRC) and somewhat low and hidden. ericthecar guy has a video that might help. You do not need to remove the air hose like he does, that is just to make it easier to see.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT_UG36HdhQ]How To Replace Differential Fluids, 1997 Subaru Legacy - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/ame]

that looks like it, although it is hard to tell. The dipstick is on the passanger side (IIRC) and somewhat low and hidden. ericthecar guy has a video that might help

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT_UG36HdhQ]How To Replace Differential Fluids, 1997 Subaru Legacy - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah ive watched that before. Im more just trying to find the dipstick for it now, i dont want to mess this up. Got the rear diffy done

you should be able to see it just by looking. Might need to shine a light to see it. It isn't too hard to find and I don't think there is anything else you would confuse for it in that area.

you should be able to see it just by looking. Might need to shine a light to see it. It isn't too hard to find and I don't think there is anything else you would confuse for it in that area.

It screws in and out right?

Got it all done!! And despite what everyone told me the rear fasteners were not hard at all with a 1/2" breaker bar. Rear diff didnt even need a fluid change really but the front was real nasty and there was this rusty plug of shit caked right at the seal on the dipstick i dont know what that was all about.

Archived